Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Scaping near Albany

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  BUB 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any luck up here with scap nets in mid-April? Any tips?

#2 · (Edited)
I don't use a scap net. I use a dip net, which is any kind of net people use to land fish. Scap nets look more complicated lol. If you don't already know how to use a stoolie and a dip net this is what you gotta do (hope this helps). If you already know how to use dip nets and stoolies, just ignore this post lol.

You'll need a good size net, at least 2 feet in diameter and try to get it in a natural color (not bright colors). Second, you need about a 5-6 inch white paddle tail swim bait (most people call them stoolies, I don't know why lol). Just tie one of those swim baits on your rod/reel set up you use for bass fishing and do figures 8's with the swim bait in the water on the shore. On a good day you'll have 3-4 herring following it. While your doing the figure 8 in the water, position your net on the river bottom so when the figure 8 of the swim bait comes over the net you can just scoop up the herring after the swim bait passes over the net. If your wondering, the reason they follow the swim bait is because that's what female herring do as a "spawning ritual" and the male herring follow it and try to bump her to get her to push her eggs out. I like this way of catching herring way more than using sibiki rigs. Have any more questions, let me know! Hope this was helpful!

#3 ·
I too use a dip net over a scap and have used in Albany area with success.

Keep in mind there is a limit to the size of nets you can use.

Maximum sizes of the nets allowed:
  • Scap/Lift Net : 16 square feet (4 feet by 4 feet)
  • Dip Net : 14 inches round or 13 inches by 13 inches square
  • Seine Net: 36 square feet
  • Cast Net: 10 feet in diameter

You can purchase a separate netting lisc to use larger equipment. It's only a couple bucks.

I can say in the many years I have been using this method, I have never once been checked by DEC. Even while they stood right there watching and BS-ing with us.

Just passing along info ... hate to see anybody get in a bind because they were using a wrong size net.

Good luck !
So boys, soon :icon_thelmutsalute:

BB

#5 ·
Thanks for all the info. I bought a scap net last year from a guy on this site and had some luck with it down in kingston, but was wondering if anyone had experience up here with nets, scap or dip. I usually get my herring in the early season with a sabiki in a creek, but want to try the net this year. Seen guys doing it at HH so I will give it a shot.

#6 ·
I scap in the Coxsackie-Athens area and do quite well. I use a 9 inch stoolie most of the time (sometimes 7in or even 6). White or pearl seems to work the best, but pearl/black back, pearl/blue back, chartruese, and a few others have their moments. I like to put the scap pole (broom stick) between my legs, Sink the scap net to the bottom (you don't have to be too deep),cast my stoolie out maybe 20 ft, bring my stoolie rod (half a medium) thru the rods of the scap net so the line gets reeled in over the net. I think the colder and clearer the water is the deeper you want the net. It take a little practice, but works wonders.....

#9 ·
When the herring are in I haven't noticed any difference compared to rocks or sand. Tide is more of a significant factor. I'm honestly surprised by how many guys use the dip net method. I think you'd be amazed at how many youre missing. Especially on those slow days.

As far as stoolie colors ...unless the river is chocolate milk it doesn't matter. I've had a few times where I've lost my last stoolie to a striper grabbing it and or the line snapping. I've had to make due using big spoons, and I even cut a beer can and folded it around a small flat rock reflective side out with great success.

#11 ·
What tide is ideal? I've been trying to figure out which tide was best for netting and/or sabikiing them. I think I've noticed more of an impact on sunlight, like gloomy days I get nothing but sunny days I think the sabiki and stoolie shines more and I get more?

#13 ·
What tide is ideal? I've been trying to figure out which tide was best for netting and/or sabikiing them. I think I've noticed more of an impact on sunlight, like gloomy days I get nothing but sunny days I think the sabiki and stoolie shines more and I get more?
IMO, it depends on the spot you're fishing. My main spot, incoming is best. On the outgoing, It produces better in a different spot. Trial and error. Obviously it can be difficult in the middle of the night, but it still works. I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever on sunny or cloudy days for bait. If they're there they're there. Of course, someone else could argue that. I'm just speaking of what I've experienced over the 16 years that I've been doing this solo.

#8 ·
I use a 42in by 42in scap net and like previously said put the pole between legs and w 9 in stoolie white w black back I use almost exclusively. And i scap just north of Hudson NY. And the thing about rocky shores is it's just easier you can call herring in on sandy shores it's just easier if you can stand up on a rock and get your net out in front of you with a height advantage easier to see them. And as you probably know it's just about timing. And i have tried both Sabiki's and scap and personally after scapping i don't use Sabiki's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.