pier fishing - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 08-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Official Member

Default pier fishing

im new to striper fishing and have been fishing off a pier in boston. i use 30 lb test fluro line with a 45 lb test leader. i use mackerel for bait but i havent had much luck catching a striper. any tips?
moran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 04:22 PM
First Mate

Default Re: pier fishing

Get off the pier !
Old 08-11-2011, 12:50 PM

Fishing has been slow and spotty in a lot of places this season. There could be a lot of factors involved, but if the spot you're fishing is not producing for you, don't be afraid to branch out and explore some different locations, different baits, lures, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2011, 11:00 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

if your confined to fishing that way... use bunker heads instead. some of the handicapped fellows on the piers cannot negotiate the beach/jetties/etc. collectively they don't fish cut baits for bass. just the head (still get bluefish/doggies molesting em but) for the most part they try not to lure junk fish in with cut baits and use the heads. the head has the most oils of any part of the fish and bass key in on it as it's really what they are looking for and... blood will attract bluefish more readily. But,,, if your fishing off a pier and casting out into deeper water? the bass are usually behind you in the wash in 2 or 3 feet of water. like above stated... move from that godforsaken pier if your able and navigate the surrounding areas. noise from radios/loud people/clinking and clanging/lights moving or going on and off/are signals to fish that it may not be a good idea to get too close to that location.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Official Member

Hey Everyone, first post here so forgive the newbie ok? haha. Living in S. Boston the easiest spot for me to get water access is ****. Been looking around at a few forums and seems like its about 30ft deep at high tide (I seen plenty of HUGE ships come in and out of there). Anyhow, started fishing with lures in early summer and just in the last couple of weeks switched over to live eels. NO LUCK. Don't get me wrong, I'm having a good time, just would really put it over the top to pull SOMETHING in. Last 3 times there someone has caught something, 2 stripers and 1 bluefish. Any advice???? Seriously in the dark here...

Last edited by JakeF; 09-19-2011 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Spot burn
Old 09-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Duke of Fluke

Here in NJ this time of year we're still using bait, mackerel, clams, squid strips and we manage to catch, haven't had much success with lures, artificials especially since i don't fish in a real hotspot either. Try to find a place that sells bait near you.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:38 PM
Striper Hunter

Pat, maybe the other person that caught the stripers was fishing with different bait/lures, etc... I have only just started fishing myself for stripers, but one thing I have learned quickly is that you have to read the waters... My old impression of just throwing some chunk out there and hope to get a hit are long gone... You need to scope out the area, watch the tide, watch the birds, look for the breaks, determine the bait fish, etc.. All of this depends on whether you jig the bottom, pop the top, drift chunks, use live bait, snag a pogie, hook a mackerel.... Watch the pros, strike up a conversation with them, their advise will be priceless...