why i suck at fishing. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 07-03-2007, 10:39 PM

Default why i suck at fishing.

i couldnt tell you why. I have even been on two guided fishing trips and caught next to nothing. this summer we are vacationing in mid-coastal maine, and i decided to buy a real rod and reel. im sure you guys are laughing now, but $200 seemed like a huge amount for beginner fishing equipment. my neighbor gave me a hint for a striper fishing place, and so with 8 different lures, i have tried on four separate days to catch something. i have reeled in using hundreds of different methods, including all the ones i was told to use for each specific lure at the shop, to no avail. i have fished in the morning, during the day, at night, high tide, low tide, in-between tide, hot, cold, wet, dry, on a kayak, from the water, from the rocks, from the bridge, sitting down, all, to no avail. its not like any of them got away either, because i have not recieved a single bite. i wouldnt even know how to find another fishing spot to use, but im sure i wouldnt do any better anywhere else. is there some mystery insider fisherman secret that i do not know about? how does a non-fisherman from a non fishing family "break through" to achieve fishing enlightenment? i dont know if i have the patience to continue much longer at my rate of 0 bites/infinite hours of frustration. any advice would be awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2007, 10:51 PM

Default Re: why i suck at fishing.

Hi whatismouse. Welcome to the board.

Have you tried fishing with the neighbor. It will be really helpful to watch his setup and bait presentation. Maybe he'll show you some productive water.
I feel your pain. It sucks to get skunked constantly. You loose all your confidence. One fish is all it takes to get back on track. Dont give up before you fish with a vet. Maybe someone will be kind enough to show you a few things. try to watch what they do and keep your eyes and ears open.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:51 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

have you tried bait?..if so..what?..a good idea is to maybe try a spot where others are fishing..while they are fishing and see if anyones catching..once you know there are fish where you are..then i think we can offer up some ideas...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2007, 10:55 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
Hi whatismouse. Welcome to the board.

Have you tried fishing with the neighbor. It will be really helpful to watch his setup and bait presentation.
I feel your pain. It sucks to get skunked constantly. You loose all your confidence. One fish is all it takes to get back on track. Dont give up before you fish with a vet. Maybe someone will be kind enough to show you a few things. try to watch what they do and keep your eyes and ears open.
thats funny..kinda on the same lines as my suggestion..i was typing as you were posting jim... you beat me to it....yup...find someone to fish with to get you started...a somewhat crowded beach is a good place to start...an area with only a few fisherman at night is a better place to start. dont be afraid to talk to people..ask questions..be kind and courteous...it will go a long way..
Old 07-03-2007, 11:15 PM
ISBA Exec

Stick with it man!!!!! Even after 25 years of chasing these fish, I've had dry spells. Longer than I care to admit. The one word of advise I can offer is start keeping a log of every trip. Even the trips where no fish are caught. Make notes on the weather, tides, moon phases, sunrise/moonrise times, baits used, water temps, and anything else, that at the time doesn't seem important. There will eventually be a pattern that will develop, good or bad. If there are any local clubs, you might consider joining, and find someone willing to help you out.

Good luck, You'll be posting pics of a good one before you know it!

Yaz
Old 07-03-2007, 11:15 PM
LunkerSpunker

I would try and read all I could on this site as well as other places about where to find fish. It sounds like you know how to work the lures but you need to find fish. Concentrating on that one spot the neighbor told you might pay off over time but they are not always in the same spot all the time. I was in your shoes not long ago, and striperjim is absolutely right, one fish is all it takes to keep ya goin. I started catching more when I got more information on where bass would be, so called reading the beach type stuff. I too come from a family that does not fish (at least not from the surf like I do) and do not have a network of other fisherman for tacticts, etc, but I gather up all info possible and try to put it to work. Nothing else pays off more than time on the water too, anyone here will tell you that. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:31 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

I would start trying more spots. Also as MasterBaiter said read all that you can on this site about reading the water, and finding fish. I would also suggest that you pick up a few books on striper fishing the more information you have the better, but nothing beats time on the water.
you should also check out the local bait and tackle shops they usually have all the local info. most important of all don't give up.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:20 AM

Where are you from? I'd bet you live close to one of the members on this site!
Have you seen the post's put up by new guy's getting helping hands from the more experianced folks on the boards?
Near Rhodie? I think I heard a rumor somewhere that some of the best surf Bass guy's are gathering in about a week!
Old 07-04-2007, 05:07 PM
Wishin i was fishin

where in mid maine are you vacationing? I can put you on some fish. I primarily fish the kennebec and sheepscot rivers.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:36 PM

thanks everyone for the advice. unfortunately my neighbor does not fish, but only knew the spot because his friend was a guide. i need to find a new spot as well as someone to watch and learn from. i think ill start by going back to the shop and getting some advice on local fishing spots.

i havent tried bait yet i suppose i could do that. i dont know if im willing to spend much on temporary bait if i dont have any confidence in my fishing abilities yet.

Im at Warren, Me., a stones throw from Rockland, Camden, and everywhere in between.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:19 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

ide hook up with jk if i were you...and have patience, if you fish it..they will come.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:44 PM

Don't let those Stripes get you down, I think those big bruisers have a sense of humor I seem to catch many fish when I am by myself But take a buddy and I look like one big walking fishin lie I couldn't hit water if I fell out of the boat on those days. But that kind of stuff makes you a better fisherman .Keep at it and it really pays off even more when you figure somthing out for yourself.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:26 AM
Surf's Up

ur more likey useing that lure in the wrong place. i use them in rivers for bass. i use bait for bass try that, u might get some action, im say u will everytime u got out but u should

(: fishstripers
Old 07-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Wishin i was fishin

Let me know.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Veteran Elite

dont give up I fished for three years and only caught my first keeper over this past weekend. everytime you go you will learn something. when you keep getting skunked just remember it could always be worse you could be at work or a wedding or someting. Good luck