Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Lost at sea

Tags
lost sea
3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Big Pop 
#1 ·
I am a new member and I am little lost with this whole forum gig so please excuse my stupidity.

I have been fishing all my life mostly fresh water and have recently changed to salt water at the request of my son in law. In the last three years I have moved up from a 16' bass boat to a 21' WA with a 175HP outboard. I have been fishing the Raritan bay from the Raitan river out past Sandy Hook looking for big striper. I have graduated from the 20" to the 30" class fish but still have a lot to learn. I am looking for others who have the same passion for big fish and would like to know where and how they are catching them. I have tried trolling with umbrella rigs,(with some success) and bottom fishing with clams. Recently, I have also been trolling with some big crank baits and bunker spoons. I have not tried live eels or live bunker yet. Does anyone have any recommendations?

#2 ·
I fish Raritan bay from Staten Island. For me....slow troll the channels with tube-n-worm, or drift the channels with eels. Snappers ( live-lined ) get cut in half by the Big Boo fish. I leave them out after that for a while ( fresh heads ). Water temps ( when they drop) will have them grouping for the big move south. We're not there yet.

good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.