<- Beginner - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 04-26-2005, 02:29 AM
Official Member

Default <- Beginner

I understand surf fishing, but my question is, is a spinning set up better than a baitcasting set up ? I want to go for stripers in the S.F Bay Area, i hear people telling me to buy a good bait casting reel with a nice 9-11 foot med-heavy rod. And then i have some more people telling me to get those huge 12 footers with a good spinning reel! What is more ideal for me and what works the best? I want to use lures, so i should get a good baitcasting set up right ? Thanks for your time guys n gals !

J.C. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2005, 07:21 PM

Welcome to the site Jsnc... :D

I would advise highly against the baitcast...go for the spinning set-up...

Baitcast will cause way more problems than needed...spinning is simple and very effective...with a baitcast you must "thumb" the reel which means putting pressure on the spool so that when the line hits the water and stops moving, the spool also stops...or else it will keep spinning and get VERY tangled aka "backlash" or "robins nest"...

With spinning you have to worry about none of that...just flip the bail and cast...

I would pair up a good sized spinning reel in the 5500 size, with a 11' or 12' foot surf rod...

I would guess that almost everyone on this site (with a few exceptions) who surf fish, use spinning gear...
Old 04-26-2005, 09:43 PM

hey JC welcome to the site 8) Telling you what to buy for a rod and reel is like asking you to pick out a shirt for me :? . It's all gonna boil down to what is comfortable for you. Most everyone on here has multiple rods/reels, some used frequently some hardly used at all. Start off with something in the middle say like a 10 footer(and not a really expensive one either), after a while you may decide you want one a little longer or shorter. As for the reel, unless you are used to a bait casting reel, I'd go for a spinning reel just for the ease of use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2005, 12:45 PM

Welcome jsnc.......good to have you aboard.

Excellent advise from both these guys jsnc.

Heres my 2 cents also..........

Myself, i think you would be most comfortable using a 9 foot rod to start with. My rods vary from 9'.....right up to 15'. the 9' i use the most. the only reason i'd take something bigger out is either because of the waves...... the longer the rod, the more your gonna feel the bite instead of the waves.... or because someone is using my other rods and all i have left is my big rods. Steve was right when he said not to spend alot of money for your rod...save it for the reel, the most important part of any fishing arsenal. too many times i've had my buddies beside me with their cheapo reels only to hear the reel start to grind and break while they have a striper on the other end....Not Good. I too would go with a spinning set-up, on account of the ease of them. Later in life when you start to get more inventory, you'll by a bigger rod and maybe another reel. You cant go wrong with the 9' rod and the spinner.

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)
Old 04-27-2005, 04:34 PM

Welcome to the site jsnc!!! I personally prefer spinning, just cause "to me" i find them a bit easier to handel. I somtimes get really frustated with baitcaster :evil: esspecially when you get a huge backlash and need to cut it.

Good Luck~
Old 04-27-2005, 05:31 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Welcome to the site. I agree that telling you what to get would be hard. I also agree that a 9' (or a 10') spinning rod is a great starting point if your surfcasting from the shores.

I personally like some certain baitcasters for pluggin (especially when running topwater plugs). The immediate difference between spinning and baitcasting, in my eyes, is that it takes some practice to become a good "Thumburner". I would also be willing to bet that you will encounter less birds nests, wind knots, backlashes, etc. starting with a spinner. Getting used to a baitcaster can take some time, and there will usually be some pretty big messes lol.

Old 05-02-2005, 07:01 PM
Official Member

Default thanks guys

hey guys thanks for all the feedback, i have a couple questions about baitcasting reels. I work at Sportmart and I'm in the fishing dept. Theres a reel called Shimano Corvalus and i was wondering is its a good reel, are any of you familiar with it ? ill probably list more products of surf fishing later just to see what would be the best for me to buy. we also have 8'6 baitcasting set ups, they are abu garcia witht eh ambassador reels. And lastly is 13 foot okuma surf spinning rod... its white with blue stripes i for got the name but if u kno what it is let me kno if its good or not thanks!!!

Thanks alot, your feed back was great!

eager to fish J.C
Old 05-02-2005, 07:15 PM

Usaully the Shimano stuff is high quality...but, "you get what you pay for"...

...I myself am not a fan of dropping big money on surf rods...I'd rather spend it on the reel...my surf rod criteria is, the length and thats it...

I'm very impressed with the Daiwa line of surf rods...I got an 11 footer for $20... :D ...now thats what I call a bargain...
Old 05-02-2005, 09:05 PM
Official Member

$20 ?! I cant even get a pole that cheap with my discount! Do you know of any place online or around the bay area that i could find rods that size ? I really am trying to buy both a baitcaster and spinning set up :D
Old 05-02-2005, 09:47 PM

I got 2 nice okuma reels for pretty cheap right out of the local tackle shop, course I only put 15 pound test on em for saltwater.

Definately go with the SPINNING reel
Old 05-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Lunker

My spinning reels are collecting dust. I've got a good selection of fine spinning reels but use baitcast and conventional almost exclusively. Then again, I've got waayyy too many rods and reels.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:18 AM

I love my levelwind conventional reels especially for plugging. The Abu Sports Mag (recently renamed International Mag) is without question the finest plugging conventional available with the Mag Elite coming in a very close second. They do have their limitations though, if there's a good wind in your face the last thing you want to have to deal with is throwing conventional - that's when the spinning reel comes out. Unfortunately spinning gear doesn't allow the close contact with the action of your lure the way conventional does.

If you want a rod to do both bait and plugs you might want to look at the Tsunami 10' surf rod. Around $80 and one of the best inexpensive all around sticks out there. I've tried the Tica and I think the tip is too stiff to throw lighter plugs and I tried the Okuma Solaris, nice rod but I had problems with the fit of the ferrule so it went back.

Another option is to get seperate bait rigs and plugging rigs. I received two Okuma Celilo rods to demo, one conventional and one spinning. Great rods for baitfishing but too heavy for plugging. I did a reveiw last summer and copied it here:

Specs:

CE-S-1102 (Spinning) and CE-C-1102 (Conventional)
11'0", MH action Sturgeon Rod, line wt. 15~40, lure wt. 4~16, 2 piece.
Available on-line for $59.99 shipped.

These were designed for bottom bouncing for west coast salmon and "kerplunking" for sturgeon.
For beach applications these rods are outstanding. They cast with a medium fast action with the top third of the rod loading very nicely

The top end lure rating of 16 is based on 'kerplunking", not casting but rather dropping a large weight and bait directly into a race in rivers.
My initial expectations were that these rods were going to most resemble pool cues. I was more than pleasantly surprised. The graphite construction makes them surprisingly light for their size, the tip is much softer than I expected and the butt is strong enough to power in anything we might see off the sand.
I'd like to report on their fish fighting abilities but the best I could do this weekend were skates and horseshoe crabs (which the rods handled quite well).

The blank has a sweet spot at 6 to 8 and bait and the conventional, paired with a 7000 C3 and 65# Stealth, can heave a bait a long way.

Although I would consider the highest and best use for the spinning rod to be throwing bait with a baitrunner type reel, the rod paired with a Penn 704 and 30# Stren Superbraid was more than capable of throwing larger wood, pencil poppers and jigs. The tip is just soft enough to give poppers and pencils decent action and it's sensitive enough to give you a good feel for your jig ticking the bottom. In a pinch it can also throw Bombers but can definitely be considered overkill for that. While not, for it's size, a very heavy rig (I'll post the weight of the rod when I get a chance to put it on a scale), it's certainly not an Arra and I don't think you would want to spend hours plugging with this rod.

Although I'm very impressed with the blank, I think the quality of the guides could be improved. According to the Okuma rod designer they are proprietary to the OEM manufacturer who is building these rods under the Okuma name. They are certainly not fuji's and look like the older style of Pac Bays - stamped steel with a plastic ring holding the ceramic ring in place.

The grips on these sturgeon rods are different than the Celilos shown on Okumas website. The website has them pictured as cork ring with a trigger grip reel seat on the conventional. All of the Celilo series come like that except these two models. These come with standard reel seats and foam grips. The first thing I did upon unpacking these rods was to strip off the bottom foam grip and replace it with cork tape. For me this 20-minute job really improved the way the rods fit my hands.

As a backup to your Lami's, a second bait rod when you are using two on the beach, as a rod to loan to a guest or as a first rod for someone thinking about getting into the sport I would absolutely recommend these as a solid, good quality rod and at $59.99 shipped, an unbelievably outstanding bargain.

Update on the review:

Caught a bass and a handful of blue devils all in the 10# range using the spinning rod and throwing wood and pencils with a Penn 704 greenie and 30# braid. The rod casts a pencil a mile and, for a non-slow action rod works them fairly well. Whipped the fish in a hurry and that's saying quite a bit. The blues didn't want to quit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, on the off chance that you might do a custom rod -
This might be a bit extreme for you as a beginner but there's a new theory on guide size and placement that allows you to use both spinning and conventional reels on the same rod. It's being called dual purpose and I'm a convert.

A group of us got together and built a number of different style setups on matching blanks. When we did the test casting (very scientifically), to our surprise the dual purpose setup outcasted every other spinning setup and casted conventional equal to a standard lowrider setup. This data was all gathered using braided line - the dual setup is not meant for mono. The large coils that come off a spool filled with mono cause a considerable amount of choke at the first guide, the tighter coils of braid flow right through.

The key is a 25 ring lowrider guide set between 34" and 36" from center of the reel seat, the rest of the guides go on according to the flex of the rod. Every surf rod I build now is being done in the Dual style.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for reels, If you're going to go with two setups you can't go wrong with a Penn 704 for spinning and either a Penn Squidder, Surfmaster or an Abu 7000 for heavy conventional baitfishing (8 n bait). I wrote a little bit about the Penn conventionals in this thread:
https://stripers247.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2639

Of course another option is a bait runner but I hate em for plugging, I find them to be too bulky and unwieldy, so I wouldn't be the guy to ask on that topic.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:09 PM

I found a Daiwa Beefstick for $24 on the web...I'll PM you with the address...
...Gonna buy a Beefstick myself...

I could care less about the rod...but I ain't sayin' that I would rather have a Pinnacle over a Tsunami...
Sure, if some one gave me a couple hundred to drop on a surf rod I'd buy a Tsunami...
Old 05-04-2005, 01:28 AM
Official Member

Nice! you guys are teachin me alot!

THANKS MUCH