Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Who was the greatest player you ever saw and why?

• Mickey Mantle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ted Williams

• Stan Musial

• Joe Dimaggio

• Willie Mays

• Frank Robinson

• Roberto Clemente

• Ken griffey Jr.

• Other Post who you think it is.

Greatest Baseball player

9K views 37 replies 14 participants last post by  captcal 
#1 ·
Wednesday nights Hbo had a program dedicated to number 7 Mickey Mantle. Who had it not been for injuries and off the field demons may well have challenged the babe for the greatest of all time. As a salute to the Mick I present a poll. The greatest player you saw in your lifetime. The Mick was shot by the time I saw him every day . After 1964 he never hit more than 23 Homeruns and his lifetime Ba dipped below 300 to 298 with 3 dismal 250 Ba seasons. He retired in the spring of 68, I was 10 years old. He was my idol.

See less See more
#28 ·
Fisk belongs right up there with the best. Yogi, Fisk, Bench, Piazza, Jerry Grote. th_icon_loll.gif Pudge.

Kirby Puckett gets a mention as a great ballplayer as well.
I forgot poor old Kirby.

#29 ·
I AGREE JIM,KIRBY WAS DEFINATELY A GUY WHO COULD CHANGE THE OUTCOME OF A GAME SINGLE HANDED.ANOTHER GUY THAT BROKE MY HEART TO SEE GO WHEN HE DID.THOUGH I'M A DIE HARD SOX FAN I STILL ENJOY TO SEE GREATNESS NO MATTER THE TEAM...UH,WELL EXCEPT MAYBE THE YANKEES.

#32 ·
Yaz only because he is the only one from my era who is on the list and not an NL player, or A-rod, that I could see. From the time before the rediculous interleague play. I really don't get the A-rod thing. he's good. But I do not get the hype.

Yaz was very good, But as a kid I was a Dewey and Fred Lynn fan. Like Yaz too. Don't get me wrong. It would be hard to say who the best I ever saw was.

Where I grew up Yaz was such a favorite there was a Yaz softball league at one of the bars. They only had 2 teams, and everyone wore # 8.

#33 ·
Thats funny. In NY everyone wore number 7.
Freddy Lynn was an awesome ballplayer.
The most graceful to watch had to be Clemente. I didnt see Joe D.
Now one of my favorites to watch is Jose Reyes. I get to see him every day.
Before its all done he will stack up some incredible numbers. Hes only 23.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.