The morality of catch and release? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Around The Woodstove > The Lounge
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Lounge Off-topic discussion here. Non-fishing related chit chat & banter. No Divisive subject matter - No Viscious Political and Religious debates please.

Old 09-01-2005, 12:44 AM

Default The morality of catch and release?

I know that this question is going to rustle some feathers especially b/c everyone on this site including myself love fishing. This question has arisen several times since i arrived in NYC. 3 times I was with a large group of people most of whom i don't know and somehow it comes up that up in the conversation that I fish and people are fascinated that I actually catch decent fish in NYC. Most people don't realize that you can do something outdoorsy in the concrete jungle of NYC. Then comes the question, "You eat fish out of the Hudson and East River?" and then I say "no" and then someone says, "so you just poke wholes in fish, pull them by their mouths, and then toss them back" and what else do I say except "yes"...That is catch and release....I'm not planning on giving up fishing any time soon b/c I like it too much..maybe that makes me an immoral person in certain ways...don't know.. :twisted: :twisted:

Obviously from the perspectiive of the sportsman catch and release is adventageous. 8)

Obviously there is the issue of whether the fish "cares" or really feels anything.

How would you respond to such a comment or question in that sort of situation?

By the way, i often keep fish in Michigan and I release certain species like native trout etc., but eating fish out of the East River etc. no way!!! That is not an option for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2005, 01:02 AM

Id say
Yea Im gonna kill the fish to make you feel better Keep movin pal.
Chin you sound like a philosophy major.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:22 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

no, he sounds like somebody hurt his wittle feelings. did da wittle PETA people twy an humiliate the chin? should've eaten a spider in front of them or went and snapped the neck of a chicken! "oh wait; you might hurt yourself. LOL well now your back and weakfish are everywhere. get to that spot at so. beach as the action is non stop

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2005, 02:32 AM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

tell em you'd eat the fish aftah catchin em if they (along with the rest of the 'Noids) weren't polluting the hell out of the watah. HAHAHAAA

Avoid tha 'Noids man! Dont let em bring ya down, just fish! :D

Old 09-01-2005, 10:23 AM
Veteran

silence, is golden :?: It dosen't matter that you think. Your not going to chang their mines. :?:
Old 09-01-2005, 08:51 PM

Default Heeheee

Haha, these replies are very funny. It's amazing how much of an effect the smilies can have. For some reason they did not work. The line "maybe that makes me an immoral person in certain ways...don't know.. " was suppose to be a joke/sarcastic. B/c the emoticons did not work I guess this was not obvious.

I guess that the emoticons are not working right now? I definitley did not turn them off.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:50 PM
First Mate

I go for profanity.

Tell them to go &^%^&%*& themselves

It will usually get them all pissed off and they'll be talking
about for hours. I consider that a success.

The best way is to tell it like it is. If someone bothers me I
tell them so. Right to the point!

If people don;t like it, tough shit!

--cal
Old 09-01-2005, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chin
B/c the emoticons did not work
Yea its annoying chin. Im searching for them in the directories. PIA.
Cal I agree
If they want to be rude an give an unsolicited opinion.
"Tell your story walkin or to someone who gives a crap what you think. F off."
Old 09-02-2005, 03:27 AM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

I'll fix the smilies tomorrow. I'm tired from fishin with Roc tonight.

Old 09-02-2005, 11:42 AM

Chinookhead, I guess if someone asked me that question, my response would be dependent on the mood I was in.

If I was pissed off: I'd go the way of "the justice of the peace", cal, and tell them to f**k-off just before I pulled out my 44 mag and blew them away or hooked them in the head with my kastmaster.

If I wanted to laugh it off: I'd say, I'm providing the fish a service, free lip piercing.

If I wanted to be truthful: I'd say, I'm not hurting the fish and it's a lot of fun...don't knock it until you've experienced it.

If I didn't want to be bothered: I'd spout something in some obscure foreign language. They'd think you didn't understand them and move on. Come to think of it, this may be the best approach. You could tell the to f**k-off in a foreign language, they wouldn't have a clue and move on. That way you could get out some aggression and at the same time deflect the question.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:55 AM
Pro Staff

Default Re: The morality of catch and release?

Bump.... I miss TonyDB
Old 09-20-2007, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Talking Re: The morality of catch and release?

I just have 1 question what is the expected life span of a striper that was caught and released????????? ive seen plentyt that would swim away and then just be floating 10 min later so what do you guys think I know that their is alot involved as far as how hard the fish faught or how tired was the fish
I guess it is the the determination on the fisher man weather the fish will survive or not

if he is alive and well release him

if he dont show that he wants to live fry him lol

just my opinion lol good luck fishing
Old 09-20-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Re: The morality of catch and release?

Higher water temps = greater mortality.
Lactic acid buildup is a big factor. light line and light tackle = longer fight and higher mortality. The lactic acid has to subside and the fish needs to be well oxygenated by passing water through its gills. Release only when the fish can bite down on your hand, or if your moving it back and forth by the tail the fish will let you know when to release it.
Harm the slime coat as little as possible by using a proper net or gloves. The slime coat prevents infection on the fish.
Get it back in the water as soon as you can so the fish can breathe again.

Yea bait the last time I heard from Tony he had some sort of emergency surgery. hope he's OK.
The chin is another one among the missing. He must have graduated college and moved back to Michigan.
I know Zim misses the chin.