Boston Harbor Bait? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-09-2010, 02:28 PM
swabbie

Question Boston Harbor Bait?

Hey Guys,

I've haven't been able to make it out the last few weeks. When I last fished I was getting plenty of bait (mostly Macs and some pollack) at the usual harbor spots. I'm just wondering if the macs are still around and it's worth the effort this weekend. Also, are the dogs in yet?

I'm not looking for any spots - just want to know if it's worth the effort.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 04:14 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Boston Harbor Bait?

Hey whays going on bostonfisher. I made my first trip to the harbor last friday with some sabikis but didn't expect the waves and wind I found. We ended up sticking local by the flats and the first island as we were getting slammed just to get there. "Going to need a bigger boat!" I'm hoping to get out this weekend as well and if so I'll give you a ring. We did ok with schoolies on tubes with my buddy killing me 7 to 2. And he got his 7 before I got my first!!! Black was the color till dark then they were hitting red. Good luck.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:11 PM
swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clopes View Post
Hey whays going on bostonfisher. I made my first trip to the harbor last friday with some sabikis but didn't expect the waves and wind I found. We ended up sticking local by the flats and the first island as we were getting slammed just to get there. "Going to need a bigger boat!" I'm hoping to get out this weekend as well and if so I'll give you a ring. We did ok with schoolies on tubes with my buddy killing me 7 to 2. And he got his 7 before I got my first!!! Black was the color till dark then they were hitting red. Good luck.
I hope you get out there. Let's trade infor for sure. I'm not sure what day(s) I'll be out there yet. I'm in Costa Rica this week and get back Friday when I'll have to check with the wife :) Let me know what days you'll be out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2010, 12:35 PM
swabbie

The macs are still out there. Near the outer ledges. Loaded up with them on Saturday and ended up with one fat 35" bass and a bunch of smaller ones.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:21 PM
First Mate

Hey thanks again for the macks. I just have to find a way to keep them longer as the big cooler with the air-rator did nothing but keep them wet. Still, nice to get out farther than I've ever been and try some new water. Did get into some schoolies w/ sluggos after the rain started by the islands and think I scooped out a few new tricks/spots. I'll stay in touch and hope to return the favor.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:49 AM
swabbie

Quote:
Hey thanks again for the macks. I just have to find a way to keep them longer as the big cooler with the air-rator did nothing but keep them wet. Still, nice to get out farther than I've ever been and try some new water. Did get into some schoolies w/ sluggos after the rain started by the islands and think I scooped out a few new tricks/spots. I'll stay in touch and hope to return the favor.
Glad we got to meet in person finally :) One of the great things about this site is that you meet some new people and help each other out.

You need to get a round livewell. Macs need to keep swimming to run water over their gills and they get stuck in the corners.

I'm heading out again tomorrow. Will let you know how I do.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Catch&Releaser

Quote:
I was out the same day you were. On saturday. Fished for tuna till 930 at stelly, then came into the islands and caught close to 15 stripers on jigs. One blue fish added to the mix. Caught my largest fish, t'was 43"! It wasn't a fat hogg but still fought. my previous record stood at 40" when i was 11 on the vineyard while charting a boat
Old 06-15-2010, 04:25 PM
swabbie

Nice work! That's a good day on the water for anyone.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Jiggin

Mack's reported consistently near B buoy...
Old 06-19-2010, 06:56 PM
swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigtheDitch View Post
Mack's reported consistently near B buoy...
I loaded up on them today. They are around the outer ledges. Filled my live well in 20 minutes. Not too many big ones though.

Lot's of bass in the harbor too.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:59 PM
First Mate

I guess that's what I get for going out at noon. First skunk in the harbor in years. Brought the wife out so at least I can blame it on her ;-) could get out to get bait as the wind was howling outta the south. Tried fresh cut bait, sluggos, even eels and not a sniff. Got to check out the islands though and the wife like sitting on the beach there. So maybe we'll see if I can remember the sandworms next time and ole reliable tube should produce if all else fails. Time to upgrade on the boat soon.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:11 AM
swabbie

Quote:
I guess that's what I get for going out at noon. First skunk in the harbor in years. Brought the wife out so at least I can blame it on her ;-) could get out to get bait as the wind was howling outta the south. Tried fresh cut bait, sluggos, even eels and not a sniff. Got to check out the islands though and the wife like sitting on the beach there. So maybe we'll see if I can remember the sandworms next time and ole reliable tube should produce if all else fails. Time to upgrade on the boat soon.
If you wife was happy on the boat it wasn't a total loss :)

Wish you could have made it out there early. It was glass out there with lots of bait for all!
Old 06-24-2010, 10:39 AM
swabbie

I'm going to head out Friday morning and was wondering if anyone's been out this week for mackerel or harbor pollack. They still around?