Surfmasters and the line they use - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Stripers 101 - Sticky Threads
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 02-01-2007, 07:50 AM
Official Member

Default Re: Surfmasters and the line they use

Anyone using Suffix? What do you think of it.I'm currently using Fireline & I'm happy with it but I'm hearing alot of talk about suffix. Any input would be apreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfd
Anyone using Suffix? What do you think of it.I'm currently using Fireline & I'm happy with it but I'm hearing alot of talk about suffix. Any input would be apreciated
Suffix is great line IMO.
The 15 and 20 pound fireline is excellent around smaller rocks.
Doesn't cast as far as powerpro but no wind knots with it.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:29 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

i dont consider myself a surfmaster, however i sure do put in some seroius time wandering along the atlantic coast from may to november casting anything and everything into the depths (or shallows) looking for the one. a fellow surf rat turned me on to fire line last year...20lb. by far my new favorite. has not failed me yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Veteran Elite

It is interesing to see what everyone else is using. I guess line is like cars. once in a while you get a lemon and never go back to that brand, even though others swear by it.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:21 PM

been using a light firewire overhere, going to go back to mono, as some fell in my lap. going to use a 15lb test, nothing fancy, just wondering, what with all the mega-lines? i cast off the beach, using about a 7-8 footer, get out as far as i need, and have yet to lose a fish due to line break. i see guys out here from time to time, with what i call "montauk" poles, i imagine, running 65lb or so line, wondering how i can cast as far, if not farther than them, and hook one in, and beach it. guess its all in the technique? anyway, last year, gave up on the braid, was running 20lb or so, but being friendly to those who also dive, and recreate in the same waters i fish, i'll give the old mono a try again, and at least if someone gets tangled, they wont need a laser sharp, or serated knife to cut free. i've seen how bad someone can get cut up, in a bad tangle, without a knife.

well i guess what i'm getting at, i'm just curious, what exactly are you gentleman fishing for with the mega line? are you going from the beach or boat? if breakage is a problem, let up on the drag. i've been able to grab what ever i hook, and get 'em ashore with my basic, yet effective setup, be it blues, stripers, or the ocassional fluke. not saying i've caught record size fish, but hold my own, plenty of keepers.

also just curious, being a recreational fisher here, staeling any moment i can to hit the water after work, as the sun goes down, just wondering if anyone also, as i do, flatten the barbs on their rigs, as not to tear up the shorties, minimize damage, and hope to get them next year, or later in the season? i was taught this by an "old timer," and seems to make sense to me.

first time posting, just want to get a feel for who is out there.
thank you.
-jon
Old 05-18-2007, 12:22 PM
First Mate

Welcome to the board, Jonnoboy.

I use 30# test Big Game, because where I fish there are rocks, and current. I get into fish over 30 inches consistantly, and need the beefed up line.

A fish, be it striper or blue, in the current of the Cape Cod Canal, is exponentially putting far more strain on the line than it's weight or pull on a beach, or from a boat.

When you factor in the rocks....No contest. I fully expect to breakoff many times this year without a fish on. It is the nature of my environment.

I hope that helps.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Pro Staff

Ditto,, in this regard, WHERE you're fishing is the key. You can bring in some nice size fish on 15lb mono on a sandy beach all day long and never have a problem. Try that same line in a spot where the fish is running the line over rocks and razor sharp mussels and you'll find out pretty quick why many opt for heavier line.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:43 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

i like the 20lb fireline mostly because it has never twisted on me..no memory whatsoever,and its small diameter to strength ratio. very thin to me means less visibility and the ability to spool plenty on the reel for when the battle of a lifetime comes..i was almost spooled once. i also seem to get more distance out of my rig when i need it with the fireline. i still use mono on some set ups, but mostly braid...i can say though a baicast reel birds nest with braid really sucks the big bone.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:42 AM

Because I fish a beach that has many rock piles nearby I use #50lb power pro line.I tried using 20 lb power pro but after fighting several large fish and finding my line so tight on the reel that it would not cast I finnaly went up to the 50lb test. The only problem we experience with the braided lines is that we use sliding sinker rigs fishing cut bait and the braided lines cut right through the plastic line guide on the sinker rig.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:48 AM
LunkerSpunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smelt1 View Post
Because I fish a beach that has many rock piles nearby I use #50lb power pro line.I tried using 20 lb power pro but after fighting several large fish and finding my line so tight on the reel that it would not cast I finnaly went up to the 50lb test. The only problem we experience with the braided lines is that we use sliding sinker rigs fishing cut bait and the braided lines cut right through the plastic line guide on the sinker rig.
That is why I use mono on my bait setups, save the braided for casting plugs.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smelt1
rigs fishing cut bait and the braided lines cut right through the plastic line guide on the sinker rig.
Try using the nylon or ceramic fishfinders ( sinkerslides ) especially made for braid. www.srmo.com
After a season using crystal fireline and sufix performance braid Im sold on both. And I've always been a mono guy
Old 10-30-2007, 08:43 PM
Official Member

I use braid on everything I cast & retrieve. 20# for live eel & small lure (rebels & such), 30# for larger plugs using spinning gear (20 cuts my finger if I throw heavy stuff), 65# for rigged eels & big bats. The reason for 65# is it doesn't dig into the spool when I hook a big cow. Been there, done that, not fun, wave bye bye. I use 50# fluorocarbon leaders on everything with 130# spro swivels & gamakatsu hooks.
When I sling meat I use 25 stren high impact because I've been using it forever & that's what comes out of my mouth when I buy line. I like conventional reels for bait, I feel like I have better control when hooked up & it's easier to get long casts. Right now my favorite is an Ambassadeur 7000 Big Game with the 5 to 1 gear ratio because it lays the line on the spool for me & I'm getting lazy in my old age. I used to use a squidder, plastic spool.
As far as knowing things, I fish with a guy who's 75 years old, been fishing Cape Cod for 55 years & probably one of the 10 best striper fishermen ever. Not me, him. He's fished with everyone who is anyone & he puts me to bed every morning we leave the beach together. He says quite often "just when I thought I had these fish figured out ..." to which I chime in "great, what shot do I have". Fish hard in the right spots & they will show.
Tight lines Richie
Old 11-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Official Member

For bait I use 20# cajun line (co-polymer) and for lures I am using 50# Spiderwire. I have had good luck with the mono and the spiderwire seems good for me also ...although this is the first time I have used braid....I havent had any wind knots so far. I must add that I dont really fish rocky places , if I did I would probably go up to 25 or 30 on the mono. I have also never used a shockleader.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:05 AM

this past fall i switched to #30 power pro. I found this to be the best braid i have used. Although I did have a problem at times with my mono leader slipping. Anyone have a knot that they prefer before I go back to spiderwire?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:13 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

http://www.powerpro.com/using/knots.asp
this link should help with your knots. your knots have to be just right with braid..no margin for error. i learned the hard way last year. the albright knot..with the number of wraps they reccomend is great.