Battle technique, putting' on the brakes...and wild fights - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Stripers 101 - Sticky Threads
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 06-28-2005, 12:23 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

yup..but I'm left handed LOL
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2005, 01:01 PM
Pro Staff

I lose a lot of power after 2 oclock,,, 2 AM that is. :tired:
Old 06-28-2005, 02:02 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Explaining the clock

After several questions i decided to clarify "my" clock as it pertains to fighting fish,this is the way my Dad explained it to me in refrence to learning to cast a flyrod a looong looong time ago..

Me head is high noon,straight out in front of me (eyes on the horizon) is 3:00, me tootsies being 0 600, me tushie being the dark side "o" the moon at 9 "O":clock... Hope this clears up any questions on my "clock"

Hook that Monster!
Rock
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2005, 11:39 AM

Great post Roc. It's been added to my accumulated "Striped Bass Essentials" word document. I think your advice accounts for almost 1/3 of what I've put together so far. It's getting to the point that I'm about ready to break it up into chapters. Thanks for your insight and contributions!!!!
Old 06-29-2005, 11:24 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

lift the rod up on the water and pull up and back to 1:00 which is right behind the top o' me head, oh yes, that clock was almost in use today but had to get to dr.'s office, maybe tomorrow

Old 06-30-2005, 01:46 AM

OMG Rock! This is state-of-the-art info here! I think stripers247.com should gather all the unrivaled posts from great fishermen, such as Rock, on this forum and create a book. I think it could make some big mula! :hail: :wtg:
Old 07-01-2005, 01:37 AM

Default line stretch

Roc, i think this is an excellent post. After reading it I thought about something and i would like to have yours and others opinions on it. I have seen guys hook up on screamer size fish, loosen the drag after the fish has 75+ yards of line out, and the hook almost immediately pop out. They are fishing with mono(15-20lb test) and Im guessing 3lbs of drag off the reel decreased to about 1 or 2. Im thinking with that much line out you would need to keep the drag you had, and even consider increasing it to compensate for the stretch and maintain enough pressure to keep the hook in place, then loosen it back when you gain ground. However, like you said, the lower the spool, the more the drag capitalizes on weaknesses in the line. I have found the latter of the two methods to work better in that situation. Thank you for any input :wtg:
Old 07-01-2005, 02:18 AM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337 h4xx0r
OMG Rock! This is state-of-the-art info here! I think stripers247.com should gather all the unrivaled posts from great fishermen, such as Rock, on this forum and create a book. I think it could make some big mula! :hail: :wtg:
Already started on the "Ode To Joe" page :contract:

https://www.stripers247.com/fishingwitheels.htm

Still :construct:

Old 09-25-2005, 01:18 AM
First Mate
Pro Staff

great post, I just had one question about using the scale to set the drag. how exactly do you do it?
Old 09-26-2005, 02:33 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Drag increases as the line runs off of the spool, that is why it is critical to A) have the spool full (within 1/8) and B) set it with a scale, lever drag reels are the only ones that should ever be adjusted during a fight,and those only because the strike and max are pre-set.....especialy where striped bass are concerned, if your drag is set correctly and the tackle stout enough with a reel capable of holding 150- 200 yds of line.... thats 1 1/2 to 2 football fields,you realy should get the fish.... if a bass gets that much line your gonna loose him/her any way more often than not...

I'll discuss setting the drag witha scale latter.... when I have a little more time...
Old 10-12-2005, 10:08 AM

Default re. thumbing your spool

Holly crap roccus you are one edjucated fisherman..You must have been
big old striper in your past life. Iv'e lost all the big ones because of bad drag settings.A hard lesson to learn on your own .Seeing your only tested on cows and they don't come that often.I lost a lunker this spring . Im sure this was at the least a 40 pounder . And there was no one to blame but myself. I lubed my penn 320gti with 10w40 got a lil on the graphite
drag pads and didn't relize it. My half pogie got scoffed and she started her runn i was a lil way away from my setup and it took a min to get to it.
It was early and cold and i didn't expect much.I set into her and with my bait alarm still on and the real started screaming too the point that it sounded like no drag. I gently pressed my thumb down on the spool
the she really took off. The harder i pushed the faster she wanted to go
looking down at upcoming backer i gave a half turn on my drag and and felt the rod pulling away from me much harder .My thumb was burning
and that thing was doing nothing but taking .The reel started screaming
again like thier was no drag again, I was right back on the thumb.Another half turn on the drag nutt .The drag agian kicked back in and when it did
it started make its way into itself on the spool and pulling alot harder it then came to a slow stop. I felt the pressure through my rod and had to take a seat on the rocks before i got pulled in. This girl was going to find the weakest link wich ended up bieng my knot . I hope no one else ever has to feel there braid get pulled untied . Its coated with some waxy crap that will pull out if pulled hard enough. I use a sinch knot with a double over hand safty . It,s Always the big ones that get away.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:46 AM

Default re: sett it and forget it

I went out and bought a 320gti LD right after that lesson . 85lb braid butt
I set the drag set at 15lbs and 25 over drag. I dont even thumb the spool enymore . Your instinct tells you push down harder when they runn.
A real bad move.Keep it predictable.
Drag pads heat up and increase drag in a tough fight.
.. I thumb after the first runn and let go at a hint of her
making another . I thumb to gain gently with the pump of my rod .
don't need the thumb if is its a boy 15lbs is enough to wench them right in with only a fue short runns. I had a good night out last fri with two decent size stripers 1 44" and a 40" mid twentys i think i didnt wiegh them , they fought hard and i got them right back in. Also a 50" smoothdog that i thaught was a cow .Ended up bieng tail raped.
That same night something strange happended.
I had a rubercore 4 ft from the hook on a two ft 80lbs leader. It started running i went to sett the hook and everything was gone. rubercore and everthing. Two mins later it happend to my buddy.I pulled my sett up in and hooked a nother 2 ft leader too the one that was on there and putt my wieght at the base were line met leaders. Casted out a half boy and pulled in a 36" 11lbs blue. Back in the water with a half pogie . I got picked up sett the hook and it was gone . Everything agian gone.This time a 4 ft of leader and rubbercore. what the hell is out there .....? any one have a guess?
Old 10-12-2005, 06:24 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

bluefish

Old 10-12-2005, 06:43 PM

Woulden't a 4 ft blue have to be craping out my half poge?
Old 10-12-2005, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowstalkingvampire
Woulden't a 4 ft blue have to be craping out my half poge?
No. one gets the pogy and another gets the sinker. The end of your line should have been frayed a bit.

If it was curled, it was knot failure.