Essentials for the surf - Terminal tackle - What to purchase with the first 50 bucks. - Page 4 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Stripers 101 - Sticky Threads
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 05-18-2010, 11:52 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Default Re: Essentials for the surf - Terminal tackle - What to purchase with the first 50 bucks.

I think he lives on the North Pole!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2010, 09:06 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Essentials for the surf - Terminal tackle - What to purchase with the first 50 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
i think you have a real problem. but we may be able to help.. what POLE is it?
A Bass Pro shops Tourney Special.
its a 9 foot, 2 piece (gay), MH

I got it just to beat against the rocks from the shore while I was hybrid fishing underneath the damn. I have a few other MH rods that are shorter. Varying qualities. 1 of them is 6'6" I use it for running spooks on top of the water when large mouth fishing..
Old 05-19-2010, 09:29 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakin_bakin View Post
its a 9 foot, 2 piece (gay),

Why would you say two piece rods are gay? JW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Official Member

One piece rods hold up better in my experience. I however knew I would not use that pole that much.. maybe a couple times a year when I bought it. The taking apart and putting back together causes wear. With a one piece you dont have that, it never comes apart even if you have a big one on the line.

Just my thoughts, but to each is their own.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:50 PM
yo quiero fishtaco

Thanks for that post Jim, the 1/0 the 0 in hooks means ocean..
my dumb friends are saying the 0 means odd
and the other says it means old or somthing like that
they are getting dipped in $##t as they read this..
yeah baby
Old 07-13-2010, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtaco
the 1/0 the 0 in hooks means ocean..
my dumb friends are saying the 0 means odd
and the other says it means old or somthing like that
Not to get into any more debates on this subject (as we have done in the past.)

I will attempt to clear up the confusion on the 0 in aught or ought. The letter aught simply means zero. Nothing nada. Hook manufacturers dont have a set practice or standardized measurement that is why it is not uncommon to find several different hook companies with different sizes on the same 7/0 (example) hook. Some manufactures will refer to it as 7 aught and others a 7 oh hook.
The o meaning Ocean was derived from early 20th century reel manufacturers and it was and is the proper conveyence of the meaning when referring to fishing gear. Although not used at all or used improperly by many when referring to hook and or reel sizes.
Read below for an understanding of how it was used within the reel industry. For furthur research google some information on the origins of hook sizes and their meanings - they are confusing and often times ambiguous.

The following will shed some light on the o system of Ocean

"We need to get one piece of terminology straight, the /0 system. When people talk about salt water reel sizes they talk in terms of 1/0, 2/0, 3/0, 4/0, 6/0, 9/0, 10/0, 12/0, 13/0, 14/0, 15/0, 16/0, 18/0 & 20/0. The /0 on the end of these terms seems to have been made up for a reason which was shortly thereafter forgotten and has remained shrouded in mystery for many years. It simply meant "OCEAN" or reels built primarily for saltwater use. Did all companies make their reels in all these /0 sizes? No, many companies made only smaller reels and many companies made only larger reels. Only a few companies made reels in most sizes. Were the /0 sizes used as a universal line capacity measurement agreed upon throughout the industry? No, although most companies' reels were quite similar in size it is not uncommon to find companies whose reels of the same /0 size did not have the same dimensions or line capacity. Even within the same companies the /0 size would change over the course of a few years. Not all companies used the /0 system to size their reels".
Click on the link below to big game manufacturers.
http://www.antiquefishingreels.com/
Old 09-05-2010, 01:14 AM
Official Member

Hi All - I'm a beginner and curious if the tackle mentioned in Parts 1 and 2 also apply to fishing from a boat instead of the surf. Anything else besides what was mentioned from a boat... for a beginer just to get out there? Thanks!

Also, if Stripers are notcurnal is it completely pointless to head out in the middle of the day??

Old 09-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Striper Hunter

Stripers feed all day long when the water temp is right,..remember they are on a migration so they are fueling as they go if the opportunity to feed is there they will eat. Warm water makes them much more lethargic feeders, but when the water temp is between lets say 56-65 degrees they will feed regularly. tide phase can also play a role as to when they feed . That is why most guys who fish regular will keep a log of everything to repeat patterns found through out the year. The most essential thing you need to fish striped bass is time on the water. There is no set rig, bait, or technique that works all the time . You need to figure out that for your home waters by putting your time in.. When you do figure it out you will be able to catch a lot more fish on a regular basis. My suggestion for a newbie is to pay for a good charter in season for stripers. The wealth of knowledge you will gain is well worth the cost. I have fished striped bass for 25 yrs and I am still learning new things. Especially when I fish other areas of the east coast with charters that come highly recommended.

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

Fish Whisperer
Old 03-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
PART 1

For beginners
an approach to the surf

Ok Im not sure how this thread will evolve but it is designed for those of you who are brand spankin
new and rely on your buddies or someone else to rig up for you.
Maybe its a generational thing but Ive seen too many guys show up to fish and say ok now what?
I spent an entire outing rerigging for a group of my brothers friends who decided they wanted to go
fishing with me.
Im old school and i expect you to be self sufficient.
All you need to know and be prepared is all here.
So having said that we will not follow anyone around with wet naps.

Remember to watch and observe others if you want to learn.
See one - do one - teach one.
This will apply to just about every phase of your learning curve.

First. Asssuming you have a sturdy saltwater rod and reel. Med to heavy action rod capable of
holding 17 to 40 pound monofilament test and a reel capable of holding 2 to 300 yards
of 20 lb. monofilament
line.

Now. Terminal tackle.
A few packages of barrel swivels 80 to 130 pound test.
Attachment 5864
Package of three way swivels
Attachment 5861 Attachment 5863
Dozen or so sinker slides aka fishfinders
Attachment 5860 Attachment 5866
Hooks. 4/0 to 10/0 sizes Several in various styles and sizes.
Baitholders. Octopus style Live bait and or circle hooks.
Attachment 5865
The 0 means Ocean

A wheel of monofilament leader material in 30 to 50 pound test.
Attachment 5867
Flourocarbon is pricey and usually only necessary in super clear water

bank Sinkers. lead in sizes 2 ounce to 8 ounces.
Attachment 5868
This will cover most of your needs.
You will need extras if your getting hung up around rocks.
The price of lead sinkers has gone up astronomically.

Head lamp
Pliers / wire cutters
Hook extractor
These are essential to your tackle box.

You will soon want to be mobile and need to travel light with a shoulder bag.
next is what lures can you buy with just 50 bucks.
i have an ugly stick rod/reel combo and a calypso beach comber rod with an okuma elite 40 reel. will these work. what else do i need. i have swivels but the last time i used this brand (fin strike) the eel and or fish brooke it in half before i felt the bite. what else do i need. does flourocarbon or mono work better for leaders. what lb test should i put on the ugly stick for fishing from a rod holder. what should i put on the beach comber for casting for stripers and blues with eels and or lures??
Old 03-08-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
i have an ugly stick rod/reel combo and a calypso beach comber rod with an okuma elite 40 reel. will these work. what else do i need. i have swivels but the last time i used this brand (fin strike) the eel and or fish brooke it in half before i felt the bite. what else do i need. does flourocarbon or mono work better for leaders. what lb test should i put on the ugly stick for fishing from a rod holder. what should i put on the beach comber for casting for stripers and blues with eels and or lures?
Your beachcomber and okuma will probably work for your lures if its rated accordingly and the ugly stick combo can work for your bait for now until you get some more experience and then upgrade. Look at the ratings on the rod, It should say 1 to 3 ounces or 2 to 6 ounces or 17 to 30 pound test, etc, etc.
Use mono for leader material for now - 20 pound mono should suit you just fine for both applications and will teach you how to use your drag properly. get some more experience before you go to braided line or spend a fortune, braided line can cut your fingers to the bone.. keep it simple and have fun.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Your beachcomber and okuma will probably work for your lures if its rated accordingly and the ugly stick combo can work for your bait for now until you get some more experience and then upgrade. Look at the ratings on the rod, It should say 1 to 3 ounces or 2 to 6 ounces or 17 to 30 pound test, etc, etc.
Use mono for leader material for now - 20 pound mono should suit you just fine for both applications and will teach you how to use your drag properly. get some more experience before you go to braided line or spend a fortune, braided line can cut your fingers to the bone.. keep it simple and have fun.
ok, sounds good. the ugly stick is an 8 foot medium action. and the beach comber is a 7 footer
Old 03-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Striper Hunter

Question Re: Essentials for the surf - Terminal tackle - What to purchase with the first 50 bucks.

Quote:
Great...I just ordered 300yds of 20# test braided line from Cabelas. Should I have gotten flourocarbon or monofilament instead?
Old 03-16-2011, 05:51 PM

I use 20 pound fireline all the time. I usually have a few reels spooled with 20 and 40 pound braids as well as one spooled with 20 pound mono.
Use a wheel of fluorocarbon for leader material.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Williams View Post
Great...I just ordered 300yds of 20# test braided line from Cabelas. Should I have gotten flourocarbon or monofilament instead?
go back into cabela's and do a search for a "breakaway cannon". They may have discontinued them but if they have one then just go ahead and buy one... more to follow if you are successful. if you want to use braided line i'd suggest to learn how to use one of these.. anyone who baitfishes with a spinning reel and braid is foolish not to have one on his or her rod. fyi.... it is a trigger that attaches to your rod right behind the reel spool and upon the cast you never have the line in your fingers so you don't get yer fingers tore up..

Old 03-16-2011, 10:07 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

The First time you fish on a wet night and throw anything over 4 oz. you will know why you want the cannon. I have taken braid through the index finger it sucks. Another thing that I do is cover my casting finger with super glue. It hardens and creates a good barrier between the skin and the braid. You can carry it with you and re apply as needed it generally will dry in less than a minute.