Striper Fishing with eels - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Stripers 101 - Sticky Threads
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 04-26-2005, 05:09 PM

Default Are there any good artifical eels?

Them critters are kinda pricy, and I don't think there
are enough near where I live to trap (about 1 hour inland).
Does anyone know of any good artifical eel?

Travis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2005, 03:58 PM

Default tight lines....good fishin'

sea sea, I first heard that phrase aboard the Starstream II out of sheeps head bay, (or maybe it was the Rocket) with Capt. Rocky who was a genuine ole' sea salt. I was 10 or 11 at the time, now I'm pushin 53.

Each time we would come to a new drift he would set the boat, blow the horn and say "tight lines good fishin'". Out of all the boats I fished on along the entire East Coast, up until now, he was the only one I heard use that expression. I started fishing on head boats in Montauk and Greenport at the age of 5 with my dad.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Pro Staff

Welcome to the site Dano!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2005, 04:09 PM

Default reply to baitrunner

"grazie tanto" baitrunner
Old 06-07-2005, 04:32 PM

Hi Dano

Hope you enjoy the site.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:20 PM

Default no fish on eels

I have spent alot of time with eels on my line . Why the heck do they not work for me ? I fish from shore could that have anything to do with my not having caught fish on them.I am talking hundreds of eels and two runs, one came back in half. Im sure that was a hungy lil blue. what size
eels r u guys using. Iv used all sizes and caught a holelot of nothing.
oh a brown shark once. The only thing that keeps me hooking them on my line is that the imige in my head has always been big girls
must love these sqirmie lil basterds. But always came up dry. I can't say its a lack of big fish in the erea. iv'e been draging in posidins sled dogs.
half pogies work awsome :wall: with eels.Hey if your out there and forgot your rag try natures answer half dried sea weed gives you a grip on things.maybe even better than rag.... I would love some input on what im doing wrong.1
Old 06-16-2005, 02:55 PM
Lunker

WHERE R U FISHING THEM DOWN ON THE CAPE? I'VE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH THEM OFF CHATTAM LITE AT NIGHT FROM THE TOP OF THE TIDE TO THE SLACK LOW JUST RIG UP WITH A SWIVEL AND LEADER TOSS THEM OUT AND REEL THEM IN SLOOOOW!
Old 06-16-2005, 04:15 PM

Default re: weed colecters

iv'e been hitting the deep spot in buzzards bay and sandwich bay.i keep bying them and they keep getting set free come sun light. i have tried what i think to be everthing. a rubber cor,fish finder no wiehgt. Its
kinda funny to me that i continue to buy them . I have never landed a striper with one.i will check it out . thanks goz
Old 06-16-2005, 04:27 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Are there bass present at the time you are fishing.....I'ts a rare instance that bass dont eat eels at night....it happens on rare nights but not very often.....
Old 06-16-2005, 04:45 PM
Lunker

csv try aruond the mouth of scorten creek at night allways some bass around there dark moonless nights shallow water and a creek =bass
Old 06-16-2005, 11:26 PM

I will definitly check it out goz. I just got back in, early night for me.
still kicking myself in the ass over the one i lost. I did get a couple in the high thirtys". I peeled through 10 pogies in 2 hours. lost a cow and packed it up. I hooked my pogie wrong went to deep and got under the back bone . She must have swollowed it because i faught her for two min
with my new and improved wench, I picked up a penn Ld from red top
filled with 85 braid (300 yards+backer). I gave a good yank and she started her run.I personally like leting them peel for a bit.my drag set is around 16lbs on the hook sett position, and obout 30 at full on,. loving my LD. so anyway
I got a good look at her bellie as she regurgated my hook and chunk of spine from my miss hooked pogie . Just another fish storie .... aww man.

It kills me im always so carefull .... I love it when she gives a good bellie
shot ...
P.S thanx for the eel spots guys. i still don't get it ?
Old 06-22-2005, 12:12 AM

Not sure if this was already posted but here's my question; If I catch an eel that seem too big for bait could I cut it in half and still get results?? :chin:
Old 07-12-2005, 07:29 PM

i have a question about eel fishing as well.....today i was out with eels, and people all around our boat are catching BIG STRIPERS, EXCEPT US.....we had em rigged with and without weights without even getting a bite while the guy twenty yards behind us hooks up with doubles....is it just unlucky or what????????????????
Old 07-12-2005, 07:46 PM

Maybe your not touching the bottom with your eels. Let out just enough line to tap the floor. Im no expert Ill let the eel men handle this question.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:34 PM

they wer e using eels as well.......or at least there were some commercial guys out there using them and cathcing fish.....others were jigging wire which we also tried, but to no avail.......