Striper Fishing with eels - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Stripers 101 - Sticky Threads
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 03-09-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Striper Fishing with eels

can someone give me a basic idea on how you fish with eels?

(Edit*** by jim)

The one and only eel master himself. Joe Brotz aka roccus.
New England Sportsman Night Fishing with eels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2005, 03:42 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Eels are one of the most versatile baits for striped bass.

Different methods come from different areas.

In areas with deep water over under water reefs they are fished with a large sinker and 3 way swivel.
The main line is attached to the 3 way, 18" of 40 or 50 lb floro and a 6/0 circle hook go to the middle eye,the sinker is attached to 2' of 20lb test and a breakaway rig,just like the one used in some bottom hi-lo rigs.
Circle hooks work best for this set up because the bait is often taken before you feel the bite,heavy tackle is the key here.

Up my way (Merrimack river mass) eels are drifted,trolled(with an electric motor) and plugged.

when drifting eels,river mouth,under water reef,under water mussel beds,rock piles and sandbars make good ambush points, 20- 30lb test line and a 18-24" length of 25lb floro carbon leader and a 4/0-6/0- hook (I like Gamigatsu octopus style) will give you a shot at a decent fish,a small rubber core sinker can be added if you feel the eel isnt getting to the fish(bottom) but I find this un necessary most of the time.

I combine trolling and plugging, when fishing the river 20lb test is as light as I go,my standard trolling outfits are 6 1/2' lami glass customs and Penn 320 GTI lever drags loaded with 60lb power pro with a 6' 40lb shocker leader and a 18" 25lb floro leader,a #30 lb barrel swivel connects the rig to the leader and a 4/0 Gami is at the business end.
The eels are trolled with the tide,just fast enough to make headway speed,look for mussel beds,creek mouths and grassy banks, while trolling ,another eel is cast and retrieved (slowly) up ahead and to the boat,with fantastic results. Make sure you reel all the way to the boat,I cant count the baths Ive seen guys get when they lifted the bait as a bass made a last effort to snag the eel.

Fishing the beachfront I'll go lighter if the fish are fussy and the water is loaded with fire,15lb line is standard for my casting outfits,I use custom made lamiglass 6' rods and shimano 4500 baitrunners, where there is nothing to break off a fish on,the technique is similar,I troll the edges of sandbars and plug the eel into the surf-line,on beach-front rock piles like we have at boars head,Ill use the electric motor to work the boat in and around the rock while i plug the eels into the bones.

Handling eels can be a PITA if your not used to it,some people accuse me of having studded vise grip hands,i dont ,I've just had lots of practice.
For the beginner,get a pair of buckets that fit into one another,drill 1/4" holes into the "insert"to let the water out and put in a bag of ice,dump your eels onto it,they will take a nap...until.. they hit the water, handle them with a coarse dry rag,i like the standard red shop towel.

some times eels like to "ball " up and knot your line,a sharp smack on water will take the fight out of them most of the time,sometime a good beating is in order,as long as that sucker curls his tail...he'll catch fish. when moving from place to place I like to lay down the rig to keep the little squirmier from balling up,on the other hand if there is room I'll let 115 horses lay them out straight! a word of caution,check your leader often,when you break off a big fish is not the time to find a knot was in your leader

There is much more to it than what I've put in here,I'm sure others will chime in,and I'll add some more latter...tight lines.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:50 PM
Veteran

Roccus Where did you get that saying (tight lines)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2005, 03:56 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I have no Idea...I guess that I "stole" it from someone.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:59 PM
Veteran Elite

I usually fish eels from the surf, again a wonderful bait. I typically use a fish finder rig and just sling the lead as far out as I can and get ready to hold on when they hit

Jeff
Old 03-09-2005, 07:05 PM

Default eels and a baitrunner

i have a shimano 4500 baitrunner... is it better just to live line eels rather than use a fish finder rig?
Old 03-09-2005, 07:38 PM

Eels are the biggest pain in the a## to deal with, however they are the best bait when it comes to longevity and production for me. I fish in the bay bay/river part of south jersey and do alot of small rod fishing while deadsticking a eel for stripers and the eels are tremendously thick back where I fish hence the reason stripers lurk back there. I always fish points on the marsh with deep drops (25-50ft of water of the bank). I anchor right to the marsh and throw them out. The ice trick is an absolute must if you don't deal with them well it will save you alot of heartache. I have found it is extremely important to keep alot of pressure on the eel to keep him from his knot tying habit . It is always easiest to take the eel off the rig if he tangles and then tend to your rig. I fish 3-5oz of weight with no fish finder and a Penn live liner reel or just keep your drag loose. The other beauty about eels are it will reduce the amount of junk fish you deal with dramatically. I also found that in the 18in. range works the best for me. To much to write on this good luck
Old 03-09-2005, 08:25 PM

Roccus great post on eels. I'll have to split the topic and make it permanent.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:56 PM

I troll eels at night on the kayak and they dont here me coming.

I use a similar method as everyone else. Big Gama hooks sixe 6-7, 5-6ft mono leader 50lb, 1/4oz egg weight and troll over structure. I let out as much line as possible without grounding out. I like watching the take as the bass inhale it and take me for a ride. If they miss on the first try they always come back for more. You know you have the right presentation when the bass hit like a freight train. :twisted:
Old 03-13-2005, 07:09 PM

i always wanted to try eels, maybe i will get around to it this year i hear they work good
Old 03-14-2005, 05:30 PM

People say eels should only be fished at night...

I fish them during the day...I don't see why not???

What are your guys thoughts...???
Old 03-15-2005, 09:59 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Eels are under most circumstances are a nighttime bait,but, I too have done well with them during the day,mostly during the fall run,thats the great thing about bass....they dont read books on what they are supposed and not supposed to do!!!!!

On the contrary, I remember being told that herring (live during the herring run) were only effective after the sun came up, I remember one june trip when my partner and i got all our herring by 3:30(AM), the rest of the crew went back to the camper to eat some breakfast and get a wink or two, we wanted to fish,long story short,we were out of bait when the rest of the crew came out,we begged a few livies from them,under the pretense that all ours had died(they did,the bass ate 'em!)...man were they P.O'd when the found out how many fish we got!

Moral of the story, never limit yourself to one method or belief,fish dont read books,try something different even if it seems crazy,if I had a buck for every fish that I caught that wasnt supposed to be where it was or eat a certain bait or feed on a certain tide,I'd retire and go somwhere warm and find me a striper or two!
Old 04-16-2005, 12:02 PM

I guess I should weigh in on this one as EELS do it for me. Next time your out tube and worming, maybe try a live eel not a worm. Night time on the beach is where eels are deadlyest. I like to break the tail on them, my buddy doesn't. Probably doesn't matter. Eelicide is no fun when fish are around. We don't use weight, and fish them as slow as possible. When we feel a hit, the line comes off the line roller for a 5 count,then we set the hook. As for the nyut part, everyone knows to use an eel rag. Boy that rag sure does look like it's taken a few, well....uh..... you know, by the next time you go to use it lol. I have been using the same bait shop for 7 years and it's worth the extra quarter an eel to pick out your own. That way you get the eels you think will work on any given night. And the bait shop owner becomes your friend. Good luck and tight lines. :)
Old 04-25-2005, 05:04 PM

Default The Trick for fishing eels

We use eels 12 to 18 inches in the rivers in SC. One of my tricks for handling them is to have an extra cooler with ice, water and rock salt. We keep the eels in a basket hanging off the side of the boat ( a crappie basket) . When time to bait up, just dump an eel out of the basket into the cold water in the cooler. This will stun them motionless. Hook them on and cast them out and they'll come to as soon as they hit warm water. I really hate them wrapping oround my hands and arms. This really works.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:42 PM

Good Idea Ed! ill have to try that.

Thanks