Reading the Beach and structure - Page 4 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Stripers 101 - Sticky Threads
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 06-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Reading the Beach and structure

When I was fishing on LBI in May, I noticed that every so often that the foam line out about 50 feet or so would have a bulge in it that went out to about 70 or 80 feet. Since the beach is all reconstructed and really flat and undistinguishable from one section to another, would it be a safe bet to assume that the bowed out section would be a rip or other form of current? It's after the fact now but, I did make it a point of fishing these spots just because they were different from the other 18 miles of beach, and was rewarded with 3 bass, all over 34", not bad for my first ever time salt water fishing. I guess my question would be; is that a sign of current or, just some random wave action causing the change in the surface suds. I don't know if maybe someone that fishes the island could shed some light on this or if it happens everywhere. Not a big concern since it's after the fact but, it would be nice to know if I was doing something right by noticing the difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Official Member

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forums here, and I've been reading up on this topic for about 4 days now reviewing. I fished using bait for a while now but i was blindly casting everywhere. Now I'm going to lures but the area i fish at is kind of tough to read. Mind lending a hand in reading this silly place. It's plum island state park Massachusetts. I'm usually right where the jetty meets the sand. If anyone could help by google mapping it, I would appreciate it.

Last edited by anagosensei; 06-28-2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 06-28-2010, 05:10 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

if you can get your bait/lure to the coordinates im going to give you you should have a real shot at hooking into something big...oh..i got the numbers from google earth for you.

42deg 16' 48.23" north
70deg 24' 05.37" west

good luck!!!
Old 06-28-2010, 07:45 PM
Official Member

Cool Re: Reading the Beach and structure

Thanks Jimi for your time. I'm actually going tomorrow in the afternoon and i'll try it out. Wish me luck!!
Anyone have ideas for the Plum Island for newburyport, MA too?

Last edited by anagosensei; 06-28-2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: did not want too many posts
Old 06-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Fishin' Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcharlton View Post
Bobga,

Come mid-May, if you are a surf fisher, grab a tall rod, a reel with about 15lb test line on it, and go to Old Orchard Beach. Pick up some clams, and walk out near the pier. Throw your line in. You'll do well.

Along those same lines, the Saco river, which is right next to OOB, has some excellent fishing that you can park your car along route 1 and throw your line in and fish there as well. That tends to get crowded early, as it is usually excellent striper fishing.

Then, the Saco jetty is fantastic towards the end of May, beginning of June.

My biggest problem is finding good bait spots. I used to be able to pick up fresh mackeral or polluck anywhere without a boat. Today, they are just too far and few between. Anyone know of good places to jig for live bait without a boat in Southern Maine, please give a yell.

-Scott

I don't know of any good places to get your own bait, but Scott at Webhannet has treated me well. I was up there last year looking for eels at the end of the year but he was out. He hooked me up with some sand worms that were bigger than some of the eels if fished in the past. LOL
Old 06-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Official Member

As you guys scout your own areas, what types of spots can you actually see better with polarized lenses? I"m still green when it comes to looking for spots.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:54 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

It may take a bit of scouting work to figure out the lay of the land. I don't know about polarized glasses, because that would mean fishing during the day. I have polarized glasses, and I guess they help.

Try to see (using your glasses) during the day where the sand banks are, and where the deep channels start. It may take some practice, but you can usually see the water turn dark. If the tide is way out, you'll see it easier too . . .during the day.

I try to fish at night or early morning. It's when I have the best luck. I hope the picture uploads, because you can easily see the channel from the bird's eye view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	13954  
Old 06-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Official Member

Thanks for some more awesome advice. This is my first year of actual lure fishing and its hard to understand the oceanography of the beach. I just got back home from Plum island, MA in newburyport and caught 1 schoolie off clams using a fish finder rig sorta set up. Went to a 1 1/2 ounce white bucktail jig next to the jetty where i thought were some fish but still dont really understand the true meaning of a Fish hole. How should it look? im looking for those little whirlpools and sinking spots as the waves pull back but still no luck. any help please? oh i also casted by a sandbar as the tide came in and had tried a whitebelly silver back shad popper, a white pencil, and a bucktail. And still cannot produce fish.