Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Lake San Antonio 5/7

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  plumbertom 
#1 ·

Okay I finally got on the water at San Antonio.
Late start, Didn't launch until almost 8 AM.
I see the launch ramp hours have changed from 7AM-7PM to 6AM til 9PM.
So here what Happened.
I trolled the lake around the south (deep) end and then ran up to the north (shallow) end and trolled the south shore ling back to the marina.
I found big floats of active feeding Grebes and trolled along with them, metering Shad and what appeared to be predators under them.
Although I tried a number of different lures Both shallow and deep as well as dragging them with the downrigger at the depth they were metered at I couldn't convince them to bite.
So no Stripers for Tom this time.
I did troll up a number of small mouths as large as 3 lbs.
I also pulled int several likely spots and attempted to entice a crappie with no luck.
I did however hook something large on a crappie jig but I never got a look at it. Probably a good sized Smallmouth or Catfish.
It stayed near the bottom and finally pulled my line under a tree branch and broke off the 6lb I use for crappie.
I did boat what I believe was a Sacramento Pikeminnow or Squawfish. It was about 18'' in length and it hit a trolled broken back Rapala.
I even soaked some Secret Seven catfish bait for an hour in Harris Creek Cove with no result.​

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.