Re: Tsunami Rods - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Tsunami Rods

Can Anyone explain if the Tsunami Airwave is worth the extra 50.00 over the Trophy? I'm looking at the 10'0.
Thanks,
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2007, 10:37 PM

Rob.
The airwave is lighter and has fugi hard alloy guides.
I would assume its constructed better. Having said that - I dont own one and havent used it but you usually get what you pay for with rods. The 9' Airwave is 11oz
Heres a comparison. All tsunami products are made by bimini bay outfitters
Old 12-27-2007, 04:59 PM

Thanks, any recommendations in the 130.00 range?
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

save a few months and spend 200.00. don't just settle for what is available. you won't need it till march. otherwise, the st croix triumph surf rod is like 120 bucks. fuji reel seat , alum oxide guides which are okay and may not be fuji. but a nice 10ft rod that casts decent.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:42 PM

You mean the fish are gone! Thanks, sounds like the way to go. Is my Penn SS-650 going to be too much reel?
Rob
Old 12-27-2007, 05:52 PM

Rob Thats a tough one for me to answer. Ive included some info for you at the bottom of the post to see whats available to you.
I've only used the low end or high end stuff myself, really nothing in between except a custom rainshadow by Batson. If your want to try to build your own this winter or next. Have a look at Wickford rod works He carries the full batson line and instructions on how to beginner rods. The Gunny Floats and Sudsy can help with this as some of the other guys are better equipped to answer this question.
If it were me and its not, and I wanted a store bought off of the rack for $130 - I would purchase the Ocean master from Bass Pro to give it a go. I have read some good reviews, but I have mad money sometimes to tinker with. (The last rod I bought for $120 was a batson rainshadow custom from ebay)
Another choice at that price would be the lamiglas surf king; although it is manufactured in China it has the lamiglas name and warranty.
Lamiglas surf King
(The MSRP is always higher. Not good to undercut your distributors.)
Another rod at the 200 buck price range might be the seeker rod also good reviews. (East coast american surf)
If you searched thousand threads here and elsewhere most north east coast surfcasters are throwing Lamiglas, Gloomis, St. Croix, Batson and Seeker rods. South Eastern Coast its the hattaras type heavers breakaway rods and the west coast its lamiglas, cal star and seeker.

Saltwater Rod Manufacturers
Old 12-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

you really need to get yourself knee deep in a tackle shop and spend alot of time understanding why you need what rod for what reel and for what it is you intend to do with said setup as suds will tell you nicely, there is a jigging outfit, a plugging outfit, a deadsticking outfit, a trolling outfit, a finesse type or outfit, a presentation type of outfit, and most importantly, an all around googin outfit (which i will save any responses by saying _just ask zim that question) your penn goes with an ugly stik (which now is available with a cork handle) 70 to 80 bucks. there i;ve said it. no need to waste any more time on that! your gonna want to get the most out of what you are fishing with so whatever you are goihg to be fishing mostly is why you want a particular rod/reel

Old 12-27-2007, 07:46 PM

So I keep my Penn for my deadstick, my present set up and Go new for plugging. I've been using the Penn for plugging but when the bass exploded at Little monmouth last month, some guy walked alongside me and unloaded with a 10'. It sounded like my Golf swing and went as far and he hooked up first cast. Besides that, my girlfriend made Linginie with my frozen clams the other night.I told her I loved her, but...
Anyway thanks for the advise.
I've got some research to do. Any Football fields in S.I. To try out a rod?