more questions - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:19 PM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Default more questions

Sorry if these questions have already been answered, I searched but couldn't find an info on them in the forums.

First off, are there any good plugs that resemble Bunker that I could use for trolling? I bought some of the storm 6" bunker shads but I am hesitant to troll with them, they seem like they are too small to troll with.

If those are too small for trolling then I'll probably use them on an umbrella rig. Instead of using the traditional umbrella rig I'll put them on one of those spreader bars as the shads are already weighted. Would it look too "unnatural if I mixed and matched bunker colored shads with pearl colored ones? <- Kind of an odd question

Also, has anybody used the mackeral storm shads with any luck??
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2007, 05:24 PM
First Mate

Default Re: more questions

Man, It is the third week in June...Go to the other side of Long Island, into the harbor and work under the birds.

It gets bright at just after 4. Be out there by 5.

Go early. See it, and learn.

You will be glad you did. Get out of Quincy and Hingham Harbor, they never did anything for me. That's my 2 cents worth.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:43 PM

Thanks for the advice Joe.....I'll be out and about in that area soon enough. I'm hoping to do most of my trolling there.....that's why I was asking about the bunker look a likes for trolling. I'll defiently head over that way and look for some birds. If you can think of something better to use now rather then bunker I'm all ears.

The other week at work we were cruising by that area at around 6 a.m and I saw TONS of seagulls flying around in the air. They weren't hitting the water though just circling around in the air, I'm not sure if they were hanging out or looking for baitfish or what. I can tell you that they were in the one area circling around for a while.....it seemed kind of weird to be honest with you.
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2007, 05:53 PM
Wishin i was fishin

the storm shad work great for trolling, i caught a bunch with them the other day. but yes, there is something called a "bunker spoon" you can view those http://www.fishermansheadquarters.co...ons_bunker.htm

like everyone else though i do prefer live bait.... trolling works though.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:57 PM

yea, people have been talking about snaggin 'em with treble hooks. Does the hook need to be weighted? Also, is it legal? When you say live bait im assuming that you were infering the use of live bunker.

The biggest striper I've ever cause was on a rubber swim shad. I've heard from plenty of people, including the guy at the bait store that there too small to be trolled. After all that talk I'm assuming that I got really lucky that one day years ago.

also, where can i find the bunker, how do i know there in the water.....can i see them or do i needa look for birds. can i catch 'em from shore or a fishing pier using that method? haha sorry for unloading all those questions on ya like that
Old 06-22-2007, 06:13 PM
Wishin i was fishin

if you're looking for bunker look for a bunch of birds, with a bunch of commotion in the water. Also if you have a fishfinder you can look for schools of bait on the finder, anything that resembles like a big patch of something on the finder is pretty obvious, as long as there isn't a bunch of crap in the water that day you can pretty much guarentee it's a school of bait, and when you see that try trolling back and forth with a sabiki rig, it could be mackerel, herring, or whatever. bunker should be snagged using a weighted treble. Yes it's legal, it's technically just like catching a fish....the swim shad work fine for bait, I don't care what the guy at the tackle shop says if it's a 6 inch swim shad that's fine, i've caught plenty of fish on these swim shad. He's probably saying it doesn't work because he wants to sell you the expensive lures.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:25 PM

good point good point(about the guy at the baitstore)

my fishfinder is good for practically nothing.It says that there are fish under the boat but im almost positive that it's the opposite way around. Even the depthsounder on it seems a liitle off at times. Sometimes it will go from 5 feet of water to 100. I'll have to give it a try though...thanks for the help.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:43 PM
Wishin i was fishin

in regards to the depthfinder sometimes you have to check the transducer to make sure it isn't covered with seaweed, or turned upright by the waterflow pressure on it. So in other words make sure it's pointing the right direction....they can get moved if they're not tight enough.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:17 PM

Brian for trolling I have three words, Mann's Stretch Imitator.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Does the hook need to be weighted? Also, is it legal?
Heres a pic of a weighted treble ~ .79 cents in the tackle shop.

In New York you can have 10 per person in your cooler for use as bait.
I dont think there is a commercial allowance in NY. They have to go to Jersey waters. Check with your state.http

Sometimes birds arent present. Look for nervous water and for the tell tale flipping out of the water. Somtimes incredibly large pods will show and move many times with no fish on them. they just flip. More often than not, bass and blues are all over them. Very Bloody when large blues are on them sometimes you cant get them to the boat with any part of the fish left.

PS. Tsunami makes the swim shads in 9 inch (6 1/2 ounce) sizes SS9T Black Back.
i got some from shark river
www.srmo.com
Bunker
Heres a Danny Pinchney slope head

From Russ BassDozer surfplugology
The concept for the Slope Head was something a well-known surf angler of the time, Charlie Kay, requested from Danny. That had to be about 1970 or 1971. Charlie Kay desired a plug with action to more closely imitate the natural movements of bunker. Watching bunker, Charlie Kay noticed time and again their peculiar habit to roll and flip sideways, even appearing to spin or loop-roll at times. Charlie Kay requested Danny to imitate this bunker flipping, rolling, looping movement more closely in a plug action. Hence, the Slope Head was conceived and indeed imitates that movement.

The Pic below is a sea of Bass in sandy Hook.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:15 AM
Wishin i was fishin

wow good pic jim....
Old 06-23-2007, 09:17 AM

thanks.....and yea thats an awesome pic