Anyone familiar with York, Maine? Newbie needs advice. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 08-21-2006, 03:00 PM

Default Anyone familiar with York, Maine? Newbie needs advice.

Anyone familiar with the York, Maine area?

Packing up the family for a week in York, Maine starting next weekend. We are staying at a house right on the cliffs, down the street from Short Sands Beach.

If memory serves (less and less these days) there are a few little inlets that can be accessed by climbing down the rocks near the beach (they look pretty good for fishing)
Most of my fishing has been bottom fishing off of boats or piers for flounder, fluke, etc out of Long Island ? never gone for stripers.

I?ve been reading through this site for a few weeks now. Tons of information, too much. If I had the time I?d try a little of everything to see what works, but time is limited.
We?ll be spending time with the kids on both Long and Short Sands beach, so I intend on at least throwing a line in there. Also plan on some quality alone time early in the AM to see what I can hook.

If anyone is familiar with fishing this area I would really appreciate any advice. Where to fish from, bait to use, rigs, techniques, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.
I love the site and hope to continue to utilize it much more in the future ? ?I?m hooked?.

Howie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2006, 03:04 PM

There are plenty of access points from both short sands and long sands but not much in between (private property). I would suggest a fish finder rig using clams or herring early AM or at dusk. Good luck.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:47 PM
Lunker

You picked a good week. With the water temp's in the high 60's to 70 the last two week's, them bassy's went on vacation , but there back now.
Fishing the beaches you should have luck throwing chunk's of herring, mack's or clam's with a fishfinder rig and 3oz weight and 6/0-8/0 hook depending on the size of fish your going after. Big bait ( half a Mack)=Big fish/ small bait( 1" chunk or so)=smaller fish. Note: if fishing from the beach during the day you have to stay 100yrds from swimmer's or the life guard's run you off. They go home at 6pm tho. Wildeyed shad's, bombers and swimmers also work from the beaches around structure.
If trying the Nubble (at the parking lot), you need to use a balloon or lg. bobber( 6-8 ft dropper) with bait as it's all rock's under there and you will loose your gear if trying to use a fishfinder rig. Lures are a good choice as well, just dont let them sink to far down. Keep an eye out for scuba divers to.
Fishing from the bridges ( Rt. 103,Sewell's, Rt.1, Scotland bridge)are good for drifting chunk's of Mack. or Herring. You can also fish off the bottom at these as the bottom is mostly sand.
Billygoatin on the rock's will get you to some nice spot's as well. Best times to go are 1 hr. before high tide to 2hrs. past high, dusk to sunrise. That dosn't mean you can't fish during the day tho, because you most certanly can.
Hope that help's, and good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2006, 08:22 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Dont know the area well, but

Old 08-22-2006, 09:10 AM

Default Thanks for the help and striper vision question

Thanks for the quick reply, advice, and words of welcome!
I have to say, I've utilized a lot of different web forums through the years (car stuff, bike stuff, lawn care, electronics, hobbies, health, etc), I have never come across a forum that makes someone feel so welcomed and free to post questions without fear of unnecessary ?ripping? from the user community. Really a ?we?re all here to help each other? type of feel. Very refreshing.

A quick fish finder rig/striper characteristic question. I?ve spent a lot of time going through the postings covering tying the fish finder rigs. I?ve never used a fish finder setup ? always went with the standard high/low. I?ll give a simple fish finder rig setup a shot.

Here?s the question ? I read a bunch of info regarding what type of line to use spooled on your reel. A lot of people seem to think that the high end line that does something to reflect or not reflect light (I don?t remember the details) is best to use because the stripers have good eye sight and can see the line. So if the stripers can see the fishing line and possibly be spooked by it, won?t all that stuff (beads, swivels, 40 lbs test, etc) sitting 2 to 6 inches from the hook be visible and ?unappealing? to the fish? Since everyone is using these rigs I already know the answer, but I was just curios as to why.

Thanks again.
I?ll provide a full report when I get back.

Howie
Old 08-22-2006, 01:23 PM

The fluorocarbon leader should tie directly to the hook and the swivel at the other end (varies) but is usually at least 18 inches down the line.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:56 PM

Default understood - thanks

Got it.

Thanks Again.

Howie
Old 08-22-2006, 04:39 PM
Veteran Elite

Be mindful of the law in Maine, I believe keepers are 22-26" 40' and over,but double check me.

Short sands looks like a good place along the rocks when the tide is coming in,using clams.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:30 PM
Lunker

I believe Maine regulations are one fish 20" to 26" or one fish 40"or over with no high grading.BB
Old 08-22-2006, 08:32 PM
Lunker

Default Regs

I believe Maine regulations are one fish 20" to 26" or one fish 40"or over with no high grading.BB
Old 08-22-2006, 08:36 PM
Lunker

Not sure why that posted 3 times ,but you got the point I guess.Sorry. VT
Old 08-22-2006, 10:51 PM
Lunker

MAINE REG"S: (1) one 20-26" per day
or
(1) 40"+ ( per day).
Old 08-23-2006, 09:55 AM

Default Maine SB regulations

Thanks again everyone.

Right off a search from this site;

It is unlawful for any person to take or possess more than one (1) striped bass each day which may be between 20 and 26 inches in total length or 40 inches or greater in total length.

To be perfectly honest, unless there is a real good reason to keep it, everything is going back in.

Stay tuned....

Howie
Old 08-23-2006, 04:21 PM

yea i'm gonna head up there............ maybe york or kittery..... hows the striper situation up there goood bad what and where can i fish and if any locals know were and how to fish up there tell me or pm me
Old 08-24-2006, 06:53 AM
Veteran Elite

20" minimum,I couldn't remember,either way it's small.