Striper Jig setup - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 07-20-2006, 10:46 AM
First Mate

Default Striper Jig setup

I just got off the phone with a local shop and was quoted over $300 for a setup including wire for striper jigging. I don't know the specifics of the reel, rod etc but I feel that is a bit steep for a fishing rod....
Any thoughts? Is there a special reel needed for this? any photos would help as well.............thanks!
I know that in a lot of cases "you get what you pay for" but $300 seemed a little steep.
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2006, 10:57 AM

Wire for jigging???? Something isn't quite right there.
Wire line is used for trolling when you need to get a lure down to specific depths.
For jigging, braid would be the better choice and there are a lot of rod and reel options in every price range that would cover it.

I don't do a lot of boat fishing so I'm going to step back and let the boat pros offer their suggestions.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:23 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

wire is used for jigging all the time! it's THE most productive way to fish a big jig in a rip...( we even use it during moon tides to jig cod with diamonds) on some of the rips)

My basic set up is custom 6 1/2 lami blank with carboloy guides,Penn 113H 50lb dacron backing and 300' of 50lb monel wire, a 6' shot of 50lb floro fiinishes it off, when trolling rips wire is vital to get the jig down to the strike zomne, run WITH the current, work the jig in a sweeping motion, hold on tight when a 30lb bass wails a parachute something has got to give, it's usaly your shoulder!

have other "specialized' set ups but that ones the work horse
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2006, 07:48 AM
Jigologist

I use braid for jigging , but I'm anchored and casting, or sometimes drift jigging.. depends on what yer tryin tah do
Old 07-21-2006, 08:14 AM
First Mate

Thanks guys..........based on your article I read I guess you need a typical casting reel for such activity rather than a boat/trolling reel. Are there special reels for braid/wire?
Old 07-21-2006, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus
wire is used for jigging all the time! it's THE most productive way to fish a big jig in a rip...( we even use it during moon tides to jig cod with diamonds) on some of the rips)
Cool, I learned something new (of course I'm a boat googan so that leaves a lot of learning room)

Let me get this straight, from a drifting or anchored boat you jig with wire line?? Or are you talking about from a boat under power in which case I'd think of this as a trolling rather than jigging technique.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:06 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

under power Suds, we run WITH the ride snapping the jig.. back in the late '70's when the hoochie troll hit the market, we jigged thaat baby at about 4 knots!... no wonder my shoulders are cooked!

Drifting we use "normal" methods, like braid or mono..

I referenced using wire in the rips for cod, during spring tides when wevere dealing with 12 ft. or better tides, the water rund HARD over the ledges, we began jigging 14 ounce cod jigs on monel wire straight up and down from under the boat.... the boys fishing in Chatam invented that one long before my time....
Old 07-21-2006, 02:43 PM

Depending on the actual tackle, assuming a 113HSP, a quality rod and 300' of wire rigged with backing, it's a fair price.