Rogue rods - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop > Tackle Evaluation & Product review
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Tackle Evaluation & Product review Tackle listings and product review Forum

Old 12-29-2005, 10:19 PM

Default Rogue rods

Anybody ever hear of or try out these Rogue rods? I'm in the market for an upper level casting rod and have been hearing some rumblings about these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2005, 12:56 AM

I was talking to Lou Truppi a few weeks ago at the Rahway show and I got the scoop on what happened over at Rogue rods.
In a nutshell it seems Lou and Gary Loomis had a falling out with management and left, and not in the nicest fashion. Gary had to sue to regain his mandrels so obviously the Rogues you get today are not the Loomis design they were a few years ago.

I'd look seriously at the Rainshadow line. Probably the hottest up and coming rod brand in the US right now. Great customer service and great product.
Last time I posted a question on the other site, Bill Batson (owner of the company) e-mailed me direct with the information. That impressed me.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:50 AM

Good I'm glad I asked, I didn't realize Loomis was gone. Now is the Rainshadow line superior or equal to say, St Croix?

PS Suds, I just looked up rainshadow, Are they only available in blanks?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy
Gary had to sue to regain his mandrels so obviously the Rogues you get today are not the Loomis design they were a few years ago..
I don't see you you can draw that conclusion. Mandrels are replaced all the time in blank manufacturing. It's not like each rod model has only one. There are usually dozens for each rod model based on the number of rods to be produced at a time.

Your conclusion may be right though, but not because of the mandrel issue.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:54 PM

That was the somewhat shortened version of the story - there's more, but it all comes down to the same end result. The rods you get now are different then the rods that were sold when Loomis was there.
Loomis wouldn't spend the legal fees to sue for his mandrels back if they were just going to be able to get away with using exact copies, right?

Now I'm not saying they're a bad product - just saying that they don't seem to be as good as they once were.
(and I have no affiliation of any kind with any tackle company)

Yes, Rainshadows come as blanks. IMHO that's the best way to buy a rod. Now you can have it built to fit you, using quality components (and enough guides - unlike a lot of premade store boughts) and, unless you get fancy with the wraps and extras, it should be cheap to have it spun up. Even better - do it yourself. You'd be amazed how easy it is.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:35 AM

Sudsy, I just spent a whole mess of money on rod building supplies. I can't wait to give this a try this seems like fun. I have a ton of plans now, Tuna stick, Fluke rod etc. Great now I have another addiction thanks a million.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:51 PM

Sudsy, where do you get your rainshadow Blanks from, directly from Batson or somewhere around here? I'm pretty sure Batson are only wholesale prices and volumes, correct?
Old 02-14-2006, 05:27 PM

I have a friend who's a pro rodbuilder/Fishing guide and I get most of my stuff through him.

A single blank if it's over a certain length can be difficult due to shipping costs, which are an absolute ripoff. Your best bet for a long one piece is to check around and see if any of your local shops have one. They get their blanks in bulk so the shipping is diluted over a large number of blanks. Either that or buy a 2 piece from an online source like Mudhole.

A way around the one piece shipping issue is to get a few guys together and order a few blanks at a time. I know the guys in the Asbury Park Fishing Club do this occasionally (another reason to join a club)
Old 02-14-2006, 05:34 PM

OK thanks.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:57 PM

I just noticed you're in Jackson.

Make a pilgrimage to Brielle B&T - they have, by far, the best rodbuilding selection of any shop I know of. Do like I do and spend a happy hour fondling all the blanks.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:43 AM

That's Kevin Bogan's place right?