Penn321 vs abu 7001 red opinions - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop > Tackle Evaluation & Product review
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Tackle Evaluation & Product review Tackle listings and product review Forum

Old 12-08-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm here to learn!

Default Penn321 vs abu 7001 red opinions

Well after some research and insight from others it looks like I am not able to get the Abu Garcia 7001 Big Game with the 5.3 gears. I am still set on having a lefty so it looks like my choices are down to the Abu Garcia 7001 red series with one stainless bearing and 4:1 gears or the Penn 321 with one stainless bearing and 4.3:1 gears. I am disappointed that I cant have a lefty with the 5.3's and three bearings, but I will throw this situation out to those who have a lot more experience than I have (you guys).

Maybe I am not in such bad shape afterall. I would want this reel to fill a striper/sturgeon combo niche. Given my choices what direction should I go? Abu 7001 red or Penn 321?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2009, 06:10 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Penn321 vs abu 7001 red opinions

If you end up with either reel and want it rebuilt then you are on the right coast. Alan Tani is out your way, he is the person that pros send their reels to for upgrading and rebuilds. His prices are very resonable. You can do a search for him. One other place to check is Mike's Reel Repairs. Mikes has a website and they sometimes have custom and used Abus for sale. From what I hear all of the folks that have bought there customs love them, they also have a ton of upgrade parts. Mostly there 7000 are 7000's though(right hand) and Blue or Blue Yonders. I have seen a Red there in the past though.
If you don't want to send reel to Alan Tani then check his site as he has many reel rebuild procedures right on his site. Good Luck with your purchase
Old 12-18-2009, 11:30 PM
I'm here to learn!

Default Re: Penn321 vs abu 7001 red opinions

Thank you for the response and information regarding "Mikes reel repair". I called them and as a result I am having a custom Swede (old school) 7001, 3 bearing design, level wind built for me with 5.3 gears, upgraded drag and bearings.

Thank you again. It is exactly want I wanted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement