What Flies to Use for Stripers - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers on the Fly
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers on the Fly Discuss fly fishing for Striped Bass here. Fly tying, tips, tricks, reports, etc. Everything fly!

Old 12-21-2005, 09:32 AM

Default What Flies to Use for Stripers

Can anyone give some insight as to what kind of flies to use, size, etc for Striper fishing? Floating or sinking line?
I've mainly trolled and plug casted so flying is newer to me.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2005, 08:05 AM

Sometimes it's a match the hatch type deal where you need to be close to the local forage, most other times you'll find the standards in various colors works just as well. I typically use clouser style ties in various colors. Up at the Cape, I tie a clouser on a 2/0 - 4/0 stainless Mustad using equal parts white bucktail belly and olive bucktail for a back, with a small stripe of pink bucktail through the middle (I don't know why, but the pink is killer). Also, you can't go wrong with an epoxy head style rainfish or silerside imitation. Sand eel imitations 4-6" long work well for me on the flats as do poppers with a floating line. I use a tip system that allows me to use four different tips, depending on the situation. A loop to loop connection makes it easy to change from full floating to intermediate, sinking, or fast sink. You won't usually need a fancy leader. There are commercially available striper leaders that work fine. Just be careful of the blues. I'll pre tie a couple of clousers with 6" of 80lb mono just in case the blues show up. Good luck, Chad. Be warned: you just opened up a whole new addiction
Happy holidays! ;)
Old 12-22-2005, 11:01 AM

Anthony,
Thanks for the info. I spend a week in Marthas Vineyard fishing every summer and I was surprised you use that high (80 lb) leader for the blues. Vicious teach though so I'm sure it's worth the precaution, especially when they are blitzing!
I've made my own rods, tying my flies will be the next adventure, so I appreciate the detailed info, hook size etc.!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2005, 01:07 PM

Yeah, 80lb is high and a pain to tie, but it last's longer when there's blitz type activity, and I've had choppers cut brand new 50lb. I hate losing a good fly to a blue especially if there's bass under 'em.