Best fight of my life (long) - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 09-11-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Best fight of my life (long)

Last night at 6:30 a friend and I launched our Kayaks in the river . As soon as we got going I hooked up a nice 26" , it was high going to mid with light winds and we were going out with the tide.
As we rounded the 2nd bend my clicker sounded and the drag started singing. I set the hook and immediatly knew it was a good one. We were fishing deeper in hopes of getting to the cooler water and bigger fish. I was using a new color tube as well.
She ran up river against the current and pulled me a good ways. I called to my friend to come on over . She went deep then headed towards the shore line and the structure . I was using 15lb test with a 25# leader. Then she swam straight towards me , past my boat and down river towards a big orange ball mooring and a 25 foot sport fisher moored there. I put some pressure on her to try and turn her but she went deep under my boat across the other side . I threw my other rod to my friend and started to slightly panic. Worst case scenario happended she saw the boat and went under by the ladder and props. She was on one side and I was on the other trapped with the current holding me against the side of the sport fisher. This was bad and now I knew she was real good because I got a chance to feel her power when she went under me. I tried to hand my rod under the mooring line but couldnt do it. I tried to push off with my feet against the boat but coundnt get the leverage I needed.Every second that passed with her down there took me closer to losing this fish. My line was wrapped around the mooring line and under the boat and I was screwed. My line went slack for 5 seconds and I grabbed My paddle and powered out and got behind the boat. I reeled up the slack and she was still there, this was pure luck because this fish should have been gone by now. ! with a foot in my yak and a foot against the boat I prayed and put some pressure on her to try and turn her head towards open water. It seemed like a long time. She turned and swam out and now was in front of my Yak about 6 feet from the mooring. I could see my leader but not her. She ran again and then turned and started to come up. She looked like a submarine. I couldnt believe it. She rolled a little and came up towards me, I got my hand on the tube and my other hand in her mouth. As I lifted her the tube just FELL out. I was laughing and freaking at the same time. I got her head and shounders on my lap and took a measurement with my paddle that I have marked. She was just shy of the 45" that I put on there that morning. She was the thickest Bass I had ever seen up close. I couldnt weigh her but her head and shoulders were massive.
I put her back in and held her jaw for a few minutes. She was doing pretty good , breathing well and swimming with the yak as we drifted. I released her jaw and went to her tail . Held her for a second and she kicked her tail and went off.I shook for 15 minutes after that. Then I had a beer. This was the best fishing experience for me so far in probably 25 years of fishing. TK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2005, 01:00 PM

Awesome Terry.

Great fish. Glad you got to see her and hold her. :) Thats a great story.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:45 PM

very nice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2005, 03:55 PM
LunkHead

Good Story man, I am waiting for the day I get to measure 45", or 40" or even 35".

Ed