Alabamas best Striper fisheries - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Alabama Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 03-20-2005, 04:11 PM
Reports and Info Dude
Got a Little Captain in you?

Default Alabamas best Striper fisheries

Striped bass:
Thanks to less fishing pressure, Lake Martin near Alexander City has regained the top spot from Smith Lake in recent years. The lake is full of 20-pound stripers with 30-pound fish becoming more and more common.
The next few weeks will bring the prime time for striped bass on the lake.
Runner-up - Smith Lake is no slouch as evidenced by the 36-pound striped bass caught there last week. A little warm weather and sunshine will have Smith Lake striped bass at their peak in the next month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2006, 01:20 PM

Smith is doing great. Had a customer get a 30 pounder yesterday. Most think you can't catch striper in the heat of the day in the summer so they fish at night. Believe me you can catch plenty of stripers trolling umbrella rigs and crankbaits in the hottest part of the day. Just remember standing timber around points and the mouths of coves and creeks. Its also alot easier with a top on your boat to better deal with the heat. I think the next state record has a good chance of coming out of smith.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Reports and Info Dude
Got a Little Captain in you?

A couple hours' drive east of Smith Lake, another vast Alabama impoundment also supports a stripe fishery. Unlike Smith, however, Weiss Lake has never earned a wide-ranging reputation as striper water. A reservoir on the Coosa River, Weiss is far better known for its world-class crappie fishing than for stripers or any other sportfish.
Although Smith and Weiss lakes are both noteworthy striper lakes, and they are located in the same general part of the state, the two reservoirs couldn't be more different. In addition to being completely different in character, these two lakes support striper fisheries that are quite dissimilar.

SMITH LAKE impounds 20,120 acres in the hills of Walker, Winston and Cullman counties, with its acreage spread among several long lake and river arms. Deep water abounds throughout the reservoir, with depths of 200-plus feet not uncommon. The water is clear compared to most Alabama lakes, but not quite as clear as it was only a few years ago. Fertility has increased with more development around the lake and in other parts of its watershed.
Abundant deep water is a boon to the stripers, which find thermal refuge well below the surface during the hottest days of summer
Smith Lake gets stocked with only Gulf-strain saltwater stripes, which grow faster than Atlantic-strain fish. Smith was first stocked in the early 1980s and was the test lake for the Gulf strain. Today, Alabama uses only the Gulf fish, largely because they are more tolerant of warmer waters than are Atlantic-strain fish.
Smith Lake is stocked with 40,000 to 65,000 stripers per year. The target stocking rate is one fish per acre. However, the specific number is determined annually based on the density and makeup of the lake's threadfin and gizzard shad populations.

WEISS LAKE
Weiss Lake has almost nothing in common with Smith Lake. While a couple of major tributaries flow from mountainous areas, Weiss' shoreline is generally gently sloped and has an abundance of shallow water. It is also highly fertile, and its waters are often stained. Weiss Lake impounds the Coosa River in the northeastern corner of Alabama. A small portion of its 30,000-plus acres spills over into Georgia.
Sometimes called "The Crappie Capital of the World," Weiss is obviously better known for its crappie population, which indeed serves up very good fishing. Many anglers don't even know that Weiss Lake has stripers in it, yet it actually offers very good fishing for the species. Some local anglers know a lot about the striper fishery, and the lake has gotten increasingly popular with area fishermen from Alabama and Georgia alike over the past few years.
Unlike Smith Lake, Weiss does not produce a lot of trophy fish. Stripers in the 3- to 7-pound range dominate the population, according to Alabama Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries (DWFF) data. Quality fish of 15 to 20 pounds do show up from time to time, but real giants are almost unheard of.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Alabamas best Striper fisheries

Captain,
I hope you don't mind if I add to and update this thread a little.

SMITH LAKEis the location (I think the only location) from which, DWFF collects brood stripe through electrofishing. They are then put in a hatchery and returned after spawning. The resulting fingerlings are then stocked throughout the state. It is really dificult to find and catch shad on Smith, so I do reccommend either purchasing them or Bringing them from another nearby lake if you want to fish with live bait. I prefer to bring my own. Last time I purchased shad they were either $18.00 or $20.00 per dozen. There are lots of 30lb. plus stripers and a few 40lbers. in Smith Lake. Below the dam along the Sipsey River is not a bad stripe fishery either. Trout are stocked there also.

WEISS LAKE is also coming along too. Five or six years ago, you just didn't hear of any 30lb. stripers being caught there. In the last few years, more big stripe are being caught. A good friend of mine has caught 2, over 30lbs. there. Across alabama, the daily limit for stripe is from 2 to 6 fish(varies from lake to lake) over 16" long. But at Weiss the limit is 30 fish of ANY size. I guess that says something about the stripe population there. The tailrace at Weiss is pretty good striper water too.

Unmentioned here so far is Wilson and Wheeler lakes which lay kinda between Smith and Weiss on the tennessee river. They are both good lakes with productive tailraces for striper chasers. They are not as shallow as Weiss or as deep as Smith. They are both sort of a balance between the other 2. All 4 of theese lakes are great for striper fishing, but for different reasons.

I hope this helps someone. Keep a tight line.