York, Maine?? - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 04-26-2005, 10:47 PM
First Mate

What would you recommend for lures and rigs for my gear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2005, 07:43 AM

Hi Pike.

Keep it simple and stay with the basics. A topwater atom striper swiper or two maybe some wood plugs some wildeye soft swim baits (walmart $3.79) and a yellow and a white bucktail jig. 99 cents each.
Match the hatch. Whatever baitfish are there. Otherwise Macks and herring and sea worms. Maine guys correct me if Im wrong.

7/0 hook with 24 to 36 inch leader. and a sinker slide fish finder rig. 3 , 4 and 5 ounce sinkers depending on weather and current.

Spool the shakespeare with 30 pound braid or 20 pound mono use the 7 footer and have a blast. Keep the 5' 6" as a boat pole. You can go there with the best gear in the world and still get skunked.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:37 PM

I found when I started surf fishing...mono was great, its so forgiving and easy to use...easy to cut, easy to tie and cheap...

Usually I like 20 lb Trilene Big Game with a sinker slide and a sinker...then a snap swivel at the end of the mono...I would buy some snelled hooks (basically hooks already tied to a leader) and clip the loop onto the snap...

...and you're done...and even though this rig is super simple its also the most productive... :D

Just go into any tackle shop and ask about a "Fish Finder Rig" and they show you everything you need...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2005, 05:52 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Great posts guys. When I chunking from shore I also prefer a Fish Finder rig. i also find them EXTREMELY helpful when fishing from a boat with chunk bait in heavy current (ie: The Piscataqua River) lol.

Old 04-28-2005, 11:26 AM

Npike, I just noticed that you found this forum all by yourself. By the way, stop at several of the local bait shops to see what they're hitting on, time of day, tide, and where. Then you can rig/fish accordingly. Can't tell you much about the York area. My fishing grounds are about 30 miles north (Saco) of where you're going to be. Good luck but most of all have fun.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:16 PM
First Mate

Thanks all. I will take your responses wisely. I just picked up some oof Trilenes Bigwater line. 20lb and 25lb. For York.
I also got some 50lb for my baitcaster for Groton, CT. We go out on a partyboat 3 to 4 times a year. It is right by the Navell Base. They still won't let us take a Sub for a spin. Talk about DEEP SEA fishing.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:17 AM

Gentlemen,

New to the site...anyone up in the Gloucester, MA area? I'm headed out tomorrow and haven't heard of anything yet. I figure someone has to be the first lucky guy, right????
Old 05-02-2005, 10:44 AM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

big tank, welcome!! :D

Might be some holdover or new action down there, but I'm not positive. I have heard reports of schoolie action at various spots along the North Shore. Any day now!!!

Old 05-02-2005, 02:41 PM

Guys:

I made the trip from Boston up to Gloucester this morning to see if there's any action yet. The 45 min. drive was a waste of time. I talked to a couple guys and they've heard of the first stripper being pulled out last Saturday, but it was just a schoolie I guess. There's no herring around, just some mackeral. Anyway, sounds like the temps aren't where they should be yet and it might be a week or two before we start to see any cows running through. GL to all.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Tips

Have fished Long Sands quite a few times. Here is my advice to you...

1. The best place to fish is, approaching the beach from the south, right at the first ladder going down to the water. This location places you casting right out on the edge of a rocky outcropping or over the rocks.

2. Buy several of the standard hook rigs you can pick up at the bait shop in Old York village. Just tell them what your doing and they'll hook you up.

3. Don't bother fishing during the day.

4. My personal advice, don't bother fishing at sunset either - although there will be other fishermen there and you may seem some catch fish.

5. Check the tide charts and go to the beach one hour before high tide and fish this hour and the hour after high tide, this is - without a doubt - when the best most productive fishing is.

6. Use clams if you want more action, but smaller fish.

7. Use mackerel if you want larger fish but less action.

8. Don't be fooled by the action of the surf. You will know you have a hit when it comes!

9. Be prepared to wade out for casting into VERY cold water.

Good luck. I will be up there on the 17th for a week for some fishing as well!
Old 05-02-2005, 04:41 PM

Welcome to the site cdcdany and tank!!!
Old 05-02-2005, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the welcome guys...good to be here. I look forward to hearing everyone's advice all summer long!!!
Old 05-02-2005, 07:08 PM

Hey, Big Tank...Welcome to the site...

...I'm outta Winthrop...I'll be fishing for Flounder and Cod this weekend (hopefully)...
...What kinda size schools of Macks did you find? and where?...I'm lookin to load up as soon as I can... :D

... A freezer of Macks takes the pressure off when the Stripers arrive... :D
Old 05-04-2005, 01:14 PM

Boston Boy,

I talked to a guy at a bait shop in Gloucester to see what was running. He told me that guys were pulling Macks out by a damn in Salem? I'm not familiar with that area at all, so it meant little to me, but I guess the water temps are a little warmer there. GL this weekend!
Old 05-04-2005, 05:35 PM

Ya I know where they are talkin about...

...I'm gonna be lookin for Flounder and Cod this weekend. And if I find Macks I'm gonn abe sure to jig a couple up!!!