old penn squidders - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 04-18-2005, 11:47 AM

Default old penn squidders

i found 2 penn suidders and 2 6 ft garcia boat rods in my dads basement this weekend. he had the reels refurbished by penn 1-2 yrs ago. this stuff is probably 20 yrs old. should these do the trick for tube n in a few weeks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2005, 12:13 PM

Without some specs I can't comment on the rods. Garcia made a lot of different boat rods in their day.
The Squidders are great reels that you can do just about anything with. My favorite reel is a Newelized 146 (narrow spool) Squidder that does double duty as a boat and beach casting reel. Casts a mile :shock:
Old 04-18-2005, 04:31 PM
Veteran

I still have about four of them. I put dacron on them with about 10 ft. of mono. With the tube I love them The outher reels I use are jigmaster 500 I like them the best because you can change the spools fast. undo the screw and give it a half twist and the spool comes right out. .You can put lead on another spool, and have extra spools ready to go . Some of my friends like the penn 113h but I think they are to heavy. I have 3 of them but I only use them, when I am into big fish or have to put out a lot of line to get down deep. I have wire on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2005, 09:01 AM

Default thanks

thanks. i'm trying to figure out what the best setup is for me. i'm a little nervous with wire b/c i've heard it can nest on you pretty easily. most of my experience is on spinning reels. will braided be easier to manage than wire and are dacron and braided line similar? do dacron and braided line sink like wire. i'll be going to red tops to get these 2 lined up tommorow probably. i'm hoping they will steer me in the right direction.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:35 AM
Veteran

When you go to Red Top just tell what your planning to do . Wire line can nest up on you easy, if I were you I would start with leadcore. I have about 10 colors on my reels but just tell them where you planing to fish and they set it up On the squidder I use braided dacron. Because it is a smaller reel. But I do put it on my 500 Jigmater and my 113h Penn.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:31 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default spool

is it metal or plastic

Old 04-23-2005, 09:14 AM

Default spool

the spool itself? or the whole reel? i think its plastic. its a dark maroonish color with a stainless frame. sorry bout this but they're down the cape and i am not, lucky bastards.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:39 AM

The best thing you can do for your Squidder is to upgrade to the Newell bars and base and to either the Newell spool or the penn aluminum spool - NOT the chrome steel spool. The chromed spool is very heavy and the inertia from the weight will cause a lot of overruns.
The upgraded bars and base will square the reel perfectly, something I can guarantee is not the case with the reel now.
Proof: take the base (foot) off, put it on a flat surface and tap the corners - it's not going to be perfectly flat (stamped steel never is) The twist in the foot is magnified through the whole reel slowing it down considerably.

Once you do the bar and base upgrade the reel will be so fast you'll want to do a mag upgrade to slow it down (which is why you want an aluminum spool) but that's a whole 'nuther thread.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:50 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default spool

the suds is correct. mag it out and it will be your favorite

Old 04-28-2005, 11:07 PM
Veteran

Default Re: spool

Quote:
Originally Posted by john
the spool itself? or the whole reel? i think its plastic. its a dark maroonish color with a stainless frame. sorry bout this but they're down the cape and i am not, lucky bashtids.
The dark maroon is a plastic spool.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:39 PM

HI GUYS!!!
I FOUND ONE OLD REEL JAPAN MADE HER
SOUTH BEND/730
NO BALL BEARNING
FRONT BRAKE
HANDLE IS LIKE ON ''MITCHELL'' REELS
WHO KNOW FOR THIS REEL,I SEE HER FIRST TIME,AND I HER FOR SOUTH BEND FIRST TIME
Old 04-29-2005, 11:09 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

like this one? https://stripers247.com/phpBB2/album_pic.php?pic_id=330

Old 04-30-2005, 03:05 AM

NO IS NOT LIKE THIS REEL.THIS IS BAITRUNNER REEL MY REEL IS WITH ROTOR NOT MULTIPLICATOR