Bluefish are making their way to Boston - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 07-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Bass Master

Default Bluefish are making their way to Boston

First bluefish of the season took my fly for quite a ride this morning while I was out fishing the tidal wash around Green Island. Ripped me straight to the backing before biting off one of my favorite flies. I'd imagine they'll be making their way into the inner harbor within a week. Anyone else got the blues?

-OTF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2009, 12:25 PM
swabbie

Default Re: Bluefish are making their way to Boston

I haven't found any in the haba yet. Sounds like that is about to change. I always assumed they must be around since the macks bailed in mid June. We did run into the dogfish in the deeper water (outer ledges) which sucked.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Veteran Elite

They are eating surfers in Long Island
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2009, 02:47 AM
Meh?

Been hitting harbor every night these past 3 weeks except 2 nights, haven't hit any blues yet. Hopefully just a few early schools.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Veteran Elite

I wasn't joking

27 East
Publication: The East Hampton Press
Surfers injured by feeding bluefish at Sagg
By Michael Wright

At least two surfers near Sagg Main Beach in Sagaponack were taken to Southampton Hospital on Friday afternoon with severe bites to their feet, and several other people in the water suffered less serious bites to their feet and hands from bluefish that were feeding on a large school of baitfish pushed toward shore by storms.

At least one surfer in Southampton Village also suffered a bluefish bite on Friday.

Witnesses said that one of the surfers at Sagg Main was bleeding heavily from his foot when he came out of the water and may have lost a toe as a result of the fish bites.

“There was a lot of blood,” said surfer Zachary Ducak, who saw medical personnel tending to one of the injured surfers. “They had it wrapped up very heavily. He must have gotten chewed up really bad.”

Mr. Ducak said that he and other surfers saw bluefish swimming around them throughout the day. “I saw a couple that were big,” he said, spreading his arms nearly 3 feet apart. “There was a couple times where I was, like, ‘Is that a shark or a bluefish?’”

Ambulances were called to the popular town beach twice in a short period early in the afternoon. At about 3 p.m., lifeguards ordered all swimmers to remain inside the surf break to stay clear of the marauding bluefish, according to Southampton Town Department of Parks Superintendent Allyn Jackson.

The bluefish were apparently attracted to the beach in large numbers by schools of bunker, a common prey species of fish. An adult bunker is yellowish in color and about the same size as a human foot. Bunker normally spend their summers in coastal bays, but they have been spotted off ocean beaches in large schools along the South Fork this summer.

During Thursday’s strong storms, thousands of bunker died after being chased out of the water by the hungry bluefish at Sagg Main. The dead bunker washing back into the sea with the next tide cycle or possibly remaining schools of the fish kept the bluefish in the area until Friday.

Thursday’s storms also kicked up high waves, attracting more than 100 surfers to the waters off Sagg Main starting early Friday morning.

Bluefish biting surfers or swimmers is not unheard of. Ocean beach lifeguards frequently have to order swimmers out of the water as churning schools of bluefish move down a beach, but the fish are usually small, plainly visible and move through a given area quickly. Friday’s events were odd because the fish were not readily visible on Friday, remained in the area for most of the day, and were very large—between 10 and 15 pounds, according to fishermen who caught them.

“It was unusual,” Mr. Jackson said. “Every once in a while you get an incident of a bluefish bite, but in my experience we’ve never had something like this, with multiple bites on the same day.”
Old 07-29-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
An adult bunker is yellowish in color and about the same size as a human foot.
What does that tell ya. Maybe it will keep the surfers out of the way.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:45 AM
First Mate

We used to free dive/spear fish on the Cape when I was younger. Most of the time we would dive off the jetties and when a school of blues came in everyone knew to get out of the water ASAP. When there are only a few around they are ok but when their in a large school, look out they are vicious. I had seen many times when folks were attacked by these damn things, and trust me there was no confusion they knew what they were attacking. If you had a dead or wounded fish then you need to be even more aware. We were more wary of the blues then we were of sharks.

When we would be spear fishing in the Lewis Bay, Hyannis area we had to also watch out for the party boats coming back from fishing. Hi-Line used to or still does run out of there. When they would come in the blues and often sharks would be following them as they would be tossing over the remains from their fish cleaning and it would be a frenzy.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:17 PM
First Mate

I have yet to see a bluefish either.......But hopefully the bluefish are chasing some bunker up this way
Old 08-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Official Member

blues were fliping out by the power plant in plymouth two nites ago got about 4 of them no bass but gettin out there
Old 08-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Official Member

Caught a few blues in lynn this afternoon, none bigger then 13 inches.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:38 PM
swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfguerilla View Post
Caught a few blues in lynn this afternoon, none bigger then 13 inches.
Live line those small ones for big bass!
Old 08-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Lunker

i remember the old days (late 1980s) behind the colombia point housing project in dorchester mass.sitting out at lunch break on the construction road ,and seeing blitzes i havent seen equaled to this day. bass were scarce and pogies were thick .and for sure,if you were in the water it would have been like the chainsaw scene from the movie scarface
Old 08-03-2009, 07:52 PM
First Mate

Do what you can to keep the Bluefish from going any further north than Boston.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:23 PM
First Mate

Sounds like they like the humans better down in NJ...We should be all set up here..Went out again on Sunday and a bunch of stripers w/ no yellow eyes...
Old 08-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i've been caught in a blitz to the beach with em runnin thru my legs and poppin all around me. i had one on my flyrod and zinging around when all of a sudden they were everywhere around me in 3 feet of water. when it settled down i got out and my legs were like rubber. while i was in the water several friends were on the beach calling me crazy! yea, like i wanted to be there? i just froze and looked down to make sure nothing was hanging off my waders or danglin off my stripping basket. unnerving to say the least. and i did on more than one occasion escape blitzes of the devils chasing bunker right toward me on the flat. and just made it out of the water. did i mention I HATE BLUEFISH!!