Flies for friends - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers on the Fly
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers on the Fly Discuss fly fishing for Striped Bass here. Fly tying, tips, tricks, reports, etc. Everything fly!

Old 06-27-2009, 01:58 PM

Default Flies for friends

To begin with, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Blake, and, though I have tied custom/commercially availible flies for nearly six years, I have little experience fishing in the salt--only about a week a year on the Mass. coast. I am college student, studying out of Bar Harbor, ME, and, although I realize there is a limited striped bass fishery in this area, I am nonetheless determined to catch striped bass.

So far, I have found very little information on fishing in this area, and would love to fish with someone--anyone--who catches bass between Bar Harbor and Ellsworth. Although I flyfish, I am also proficient with spinning and an casting rigs as well.

Simply put, I am tired of not being able to use the flies I tie for other anglers--I relish the oppurtunity to use them myself, and to begin fishing for stripers more regularly. For anyone who will take me fishing, I will offer one dozen of my best, professionally tied flies--though I will take specific requests as well.

I look forward to be a member of this community, and appreciate the oppurtunity to learn about a style of fishing I have just begun to explore.

Last edited by bbdd12345678; 06-27-2009 at 01:59 PM. Reason: "i" before "e"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2009, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Flies for friends

People often come here and put up posts looking, and sometimes demanding, the members here tell them where spots are, it's not usually a pretty scene.

This is the proper way to do it !!!!
An offer like that should, and I'll wager will, be honored. I wish you were down my way, I'd certainly go fishing with you and show you the ropes of the area.
I wouldn't even take the flies (well maybe one or two )

Well done

Now someone take this guy fishing
Old 06-27-2009, 09:44 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2009, 11:35 PM
First Mate

Too bad i live about 7 hours away, I'm sure theres some "mainers" up there who could hook you up, or you could drive south a little and i'm sure there'd be some guys willing to help you out.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:42 AM
Pro Staff

Welcome aboard! There are some folks on here from up in your area. Stick around and I'm sure someone will hook you up
Old 06-28-2009, 08:36 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Well, if you ever make it to R.I (where the fish aren't).........
Old 06-28-2009, 10:36 PM
Bass Master

always good to have more fly guys!
You didn't even plug your wears! Got some pics? A site? Id love to see some of your patterns. Also, If you're around boston feel free to hit me up. Id love to take a fellow fly tosser around the islands and catch some hogs.

Cheers!

PS Floatsum, don't worry, there are no fish in boston harbor either.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:07 AM

Later today or tomorrow when I get a few more minutes to jot down specifics I will give you some info. I am in the Coast Guard and did 5 tours up there, from Jonesport to South Portland. I will be in maine some time in August.

I would love to give you some info I have.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:11 PM

Thank you everyone for your responses!

OnTheFly:

I tie most of my flies for saltwaterflies.com, a business that belongs to my close friend (and excellent fisherman) Chris Windram. For Chris, I make a lot of clouser and deceiver style flies, but I also make a few tarpon and bonefish flies--about twenty different patterns in total. Any of the flies that are tied by Blake Davis are mine. However, most of these are less complex than what I make for myself or for what I do for custom orders.

I'll try and get some pictures of the really cool stuff: large deceivers with multiple types and colors of materials; tuna poppers; epoxy minnows; and my favorate mackerel patterns.

And, of course, since I do take trips back to MA, I will send you a message if I'm headed that way!

Chinooky:

That would be enormously helpful! I would love some info about the area. And, really, anything helps; I am completely in the dark. Thanks!

Everyone else--FLOATSUM, baitrunner, Ghilie, zimno1, and Sudsy--thank you very much for your welcomes. Again, I am so excited to be part of this community (and to get my line wet!).
Old 06-29-2009, 12:20 PM
Bass Master

Haha I have bought a bunch of your stuff! I love SWF.com! I think i have a few of your circle and jiggy deceivers as well as a bunch of 1/2 and 1/2s in my box. I use lots of your stuff in the estuaries and island shores of the boston harbor region. Beautiful work!

Welcome to Stripers 24-7! Cool to talk to someone who has done the tying so I can catch fish!

Cheers!

-OTF
Old 06-29-2009, 02:54 PM

Hey Blake

I was just looking at an arial view of acadia national park (on google maps) trying to jog my memories of being stationed in Southwest Hbr. I remember their being a couple small areas on the island that you didn't need a boat or kayak to fish. If you look at google and see the deep channels by the bridge that links main land with the park entrance can hold some schoolies, but it can be hit or miss. i remember my couple trips there were miss.

Do you have wheels for a trip south of Boothbay Hbr/wiscasset/scarbourough. Do you have a float tube, kayak, canoe or boat? the sheepscott river out of wisscasset can be awesome. scarbourough marsh in scarbourough, around prouts neck, pine point, nonesuch river area off clay pits road. I'll be in the area from august 3rd through 9th. My job doesnt allow for as much water time as it used to. Plus i'm currantly stationed in buffalo ny.

Most of the mud flats can and will hold fish on the sheepscott. I like chuckin eels on the mud flats, but flies can work as well.

Olive clousers in the marsh area has been the best for me. one year the peanut bunker were dead everywhere. smelled like (imagination helps here) NASTY!

I'll PM you later if i think of anything else.

Greg
Old 06-22-2011, 12:58 AM
Official Member

It's my first time to come here.
Haha,Nice to meet everybody.
I learn from my friends that
this forum is very interesting.