New to Saltwater Fly Fishing - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers on the Fly
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers on the Fly Discuss fly fishing for Striped Bass here. Fly tying, tips, tricks, reports, etc. Everything fly!

Old 05-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Official Member

Default New to Saltwater Fly Fishing

I just recently started saltwater fly fishing, having fished for Trout and Smallmouth bass on light tackle fly rods for years. 3wt for trout and 6wt for smallies. I bought a a 9ft 8wt rod for salt water last year. I have caught a few stripers on clousers in estuaries and wading the LI Sound in CT and also off Cape Cod, MA.

I live in SE PA and travel to OC Md several times a year and would like to know about surf fishing on the fly. I have surf fished the beaches of LI with my dad when I was a kid using surf rods and bait but never a fly rod.

Any pointers, techniques... anyone can give me on flying in the surf would be great... ie what fly's - I assume clousers, decievers, half & half but do they need extra weight, do I cast into the wash or past it.....

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 09:23 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: New to Saltwater Fly Fishing

1st of all welcome. I asume you have a little knowledge in fly fishing.The only real difference is larger tackle. The all around Surf Fly Rod I would say is a 9Wgt. Being said you can throw larger Flies. All the Flies you mentioned will work fine in catching fish.You don't need to run out & spend a lot of money on a rod & reel there are a lot to choose from that won't brake the bank. The TFO series makes some nice Rods starting around $129.00. Lamsom has a nice reel the VIIII that you can pick up new on ebay for around $165.00.LL Bean has a sweet Reel the Orion IV that sells for $199.00 & one of the best warrantys out there. Fishing the area's you mentioned I would also recommend a Intermedite line. ou want to get the line down a little.Good Luck & if you have any questions,Throwthem out here we'll try & help you out..............Ron
Old 05-21-2009, 09:55 PM

The single biggest thing I learned is that you can't assume the transition from 2 / 5 wts to 8 / 10 wts is going to be easy - it's not, At least not for me.

I can shoot a line with the best of em in the smaller weight ranges but that hasn't exactly translated to the big stuff.

I'm just thrilled to get half the line out and not be all tangled up in it when I'm using the big rods on the beach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 11:10 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

WELCOME
a pfleuger reel will set ya back 90 bucks and a decent 9wt rod another buck and a half to two hundred. line "well" that is the thing you will wanna not skimp on and it is alot to choose from when you consider what exactly and where exactly you will be fishing. some places are a nightmare fishing with sinking lines and some require floating lines but imo not too many. an intermediate line can be your best bet but, interchangeable tips as in the rio versa tip is not a bad idea. all in all it is a preference as mine is a 15ft spey rod and shooting heads. but thats just me. you will find a multitude of applications but since you wanna fish open beach and it is already almost topwater time a floating line for back bays and skinny water would work great as you can add a sinking line to get a few feet deeper if necessary. if you want to know where to buy and how to gear up i will be more than happy to help. pm me any questions you may have and with time permitting will answer for you. zim

Old 05-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Official Member

Thanks for all the input. I have been reading a lot on this board and found a few posts describing flying in the surf. I have been out twice this weekend with no luck yet. I am using a Cabela's 9ft 8wt and have been trying to dead drift in a rip current but they are hard to find in OC MD. Found one Thursday night/Friday morning, had a hit but lost him, I did not have enough tension on the line when he hit and was unable to set the hook. Although I did catch a crab!!?? I hope to get out tonight as high tide is around sunset so might have some better luck, Plus the wind is blowing better today, yestersay was at my back.

Definetly a learning curve going from a 7'6" 3wt trout rod to a 9' 8wt. I can easily shoot 40' of line 2-3 feet off the water with tight loops while stading in stomach deep water with pin point accuracy with the 3wt. With this bigger rod somtimes I am lucky if I get 20ft out before it collapses on me!!!!It will take a little time to learn the 8wt, but it is nice when it works, just wish I could do it more consistenly.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

with this moon, look for mud flats near a creek or outflow where cinder worms may spawn after the first part of the outgoing at dusk. if you know of such a place even if you don't have any worm patterns a fly in the meelee may get taken but the all knowings will tell you it is all they want and or will take. june's moon is usually the best bet for a "hatch" as they call it. but there have already been worms seen out there. that take is a "touch" as they are inhaling them and you really need to be in contact with the line and not jerk it out of thier mouth. a slow tension to the connection of the barb and holding the weight of the fish and then setting the hook. the flats may not have heated up enough yet but it's worth a look..

Old 05-24-2009, 10:01 PM
Official Member

Just got back from fishing thge beach, went out 1 hour before sunset and about 1.5 hours after sunset, high tide was 15 mins after sunset no luck. All the stripes I have caught so far have come either in this time area or late at night, tide has not been much of an issue. There was not a lot of structure on the beach again, no longshore currnets, no rips.... but thanks to this board at least I am now looking for them and can identify them.

hopefully I will have more luck on the Delaware around Trenton next week.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:35 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

high tide is high tide but i assume you know that the tide Must be moving..
if high is 7pm then depending on where your at and where your fishing the flood will start a good half hour after that and then it will kick. if you are into fish remember "when high tide is high - fish move. ie: when the water is not moving - the fish move on. if bait is present they may return but chances are they've found new opportunities on the outgoing tide when water (and fish) are moving again.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:18 AM

I'll second the choice of a spey rod & shooting heads for the surf its relatively effortless and will save your arm.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
high tide is high tide but i assume you know that the tide Must be moving..
if high is 7pm then depending on where your at and where your fishing the flood will start a good half hour after that and then it will kick. if you are into fish remember "when high tide is high - fish move. ie: when the water is not moving - the fish move on. if bait is present they may return but chances are they've found new opportunities on the outgoing tide when water (and fish) are moving again.
I always thought it best to fish on a changing tide, and figured 1 hour before the peak be it low or high and about an 1.5 hours after the peak. If I understand you correctly it should kick in about 1/2 an hour after the peak once the water starts moving. I have also noticed that when fishing the outflow of a tidal estuary I have caught on the later part of an outgoing tide as the fish were moving from 'up estuary' to back out in the Sound and it took them a while to get there.

I appreciated your patience I have not done a lot of saltwater fishing in the past 30 years, having moved to SE PA the nearest ocean is over an hour away. When I did I was 15-16 and went with my dad to Robert Moses on LI, which would take no more than 30 mins on a Sunday moring. He had all this figured out, now its my turn to figure it out and impart it on my son. I have freshwater down to a sience but saltwater is another story.

From what I have been reading on this site I am in the right spot.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:44 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

moving water... is my logic, but have caught fish on slack many times.
i could write a novel on what fish have and have not done to confuse the conventional wisdom of seasoned fishermen. surf fishing is relatively practiced in the breaking waves of the surf and not according to the tides...

Old 05-27-2009, 08:00 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

I find the biggest difference I found when moving up to a 10 or 9 wt from the smaller fresh water rods was feeling the load on the rod correctly. I have found the less arm movement I use the easier it is to load the rod. I learned by tying the elbow of my casting arm to my waist and moving the rod from 10 to 12 on the clock and waiting for the load. Once you are able to load the rod consistently you can tighten your loops by utilizing a double haul this will really get the line flying through the guides and enable you to put more line out.

Best wishes and have fun
Old 05-29-2009, 12:06 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i showed 4290 the logic of the cast this way.
if you take a coffee cup of water and try and toss it behind you without spraying it all over the place ie: trying to get all the water out of the cup you will see that your going to have to abruptly stop the cup at a certain point to accomplish this. when you have done this several times and found the right technique to get the water to come out of the cup all at once? you will see it is the same motion as you load your flyrod with. (not to say you can't drift and get a little more push but this will show someone the way you should work the flyrod on the initial backcast. just try this when out there and will make you a better teacher.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:06 AM
Official Member

agree with most of the replys you've gotton, & i would have recomended the TFO Professional 9' 9wt at $160 , but you say you already have a 8 wt..Reels are always on sale..Line ?? just starting I wood go with the Rio versa Tip package around $125.....This ia a floating line with changeable 15' tips.. The walllet has the fintermediate sink , three sink ,Six sink , & new lines even a eight sink all in a 3" pack...very convenient pack...Seems a little high , but you cover all depths.. A single line runs about 50 -65 bucks each.. This rio lines have the best looping system , and prevents hinging.. Good luck in your choices , Jim
Old 05-31-2009, 09:19 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

From a hour after sunset to 3 hours after can be hit or miss.
Yes, I've seen it outragously good then, but generally, around 10:00 PM is when it gets going good. Location is important. So are tides, moon, etc.
I'm simply talking in general terms..... not cast in stone.
Slip your fly along the beach (not so much as outward) and you may be surprised. Deeper can help at times too.
Basicly, fish are where you find them.
Direction given,,, not directions offered.