Jersey Shore Reports for 2009 - Page 15 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New Jersey
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New Jersey Regional discussion, news and reports for striped bass fishing in New Jersey

Old 12-15-2008, 09:22 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Jersey Shore Reports

hey all finally decided to put away the rods for the year and wait patiently till april/may.... fished sea bright beautiful movement in water birds all around no luck dead sticking it.... threw out a diamond jig and got one nice hit... landed a 22 incher but had to put it back in the water Nehows guess some are still lingering... hope some of you had some luck as well....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2008, 12:21 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2fsh View Post
hey all finally decided to put away the rods for the year and wait patiently till april/may.... fished sea bright beautiful movement in water birds all around no luck dead sticking it.... threw out a diamond jig and got one nice hit... landed a 22 incher but had to put it back in the water Nehows guess some are still lingering... hope some of you had some luck as well....
Man, if you wait till April/may you'll be 2 months behind everyone else. You can start hittin it hard in the back in March, fish should be there around the first week. Bunker should be around a few weeks after, game's on at that point. Don't be afraid to fish a different state, try to go up and stalk zimno, he'll learn ya! He has a gravitational magnet that pulls fish into his area beginning April 2. The Zimno magnetron, not available in stores.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:01 AM
Striper Hunter

lol thanks dark... i will now be going out in march... when you say u back you mean the bay areas correct?? arund union beach cliffwood beach etc?? and if so would bait be the way to go or plugs?? thanks for all your help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2008, 12:26 PM

Anywhere with a dark bottom

Worms and clams early
Bunker chunks later

Plugging gets going about mid May
Old 12-16-2008, 09:50 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

bunker heads later?
hey rich? you gonna come fish with us early this season or what?

Old 12-17-2008, 06:33 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2fsh View Post
lol thanks dark... i will now be going out in march... when you say u back you mean the bay areas correct?? arund union beach cliffwood beach etc?? and if so would bait be the way to go or plugs?? thanks for all your help!!!
Bait is the name of the game in the early season. Listn to Sudsy, he knows stuff. The areas you mentioned could be the ticket, don't want to say anymore to bring the lurker crowd. pms are good for specifics. Bucktails will work too, but matching the hatch is usually the smartest thing, especially for the flats in back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
bunker heads later?
hey rich? you gonna come fish with us early this season or what?
Zimno - Man, armed guards couldn'tkeep me away from your area, I'll be there starting April 1. I love that place and the different structure, you're lucky to live there, though it's a lot different when we used to drive to Snoopy's at 1am.

I'll look for ya, man, that's one of my favorite early spring areas, and a great place to bring kids fishing. They usually have a chance of catching at least one fish, even it it's a bluefish.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Striper Hunter

I'll tell you what guys... this has to be the best forum i have ever signed up for.... thanks for all your tips.... I'm accepting Pm's if you wanna keep it on the down-low lolol.... man i can hardly wait to get out there and use some of the stuff i learned!!!!

Old 12-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Official Member

Went to fish with a friend last night at the last minute, got unexpectedly delayed. I was getting down as he was leaving, instead had a good conversation. Haven't fished with him in a while, good people. He gave me the intel where he was, not much action, so I decided to hit nomoco, moving water.

The strategy was to hit the dawn and daylight bite. I slept in the car, up at 7, on the water at 7:15. Fished bucktail and porkrind. Got 4 bass to 25" until 9, when I stopped. Fishing was sporadic, you had to work for them, but they were there.

I believe if I was fishing clams, I would have done better, especially with the noreaster coming in. I don't want to mess with clams till the spring, bucktails are good enough for these small fish. I was using my 8' tica, perfect rod for the little schoolies.

Since I wasn't exactly killing em, I went back to the car when it started to snow a little, and tried to wait out the storm, hoping for a break. Woke up to more rain and stronger wind, so I decided to pack it in. I saw the surf was getting bigger when I left.

The action was still good, and it was great to be out, first time out in awhile. Like other guys here said, fish are still around, you just have to downsize your gear a little, and keep moving to different pockets.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2fish
I'll tell you what guys... this has to be the best forum i have ever signed up for
We are very proud of that statement and have worked hard to be respectful and make this as fun an informative as possible. Thank you...

Wtg guys - Nice.

congratulations to the die hards among you on a job well done fishing before the blizzard.
Its enormously fun even fishing for the smaller fish. Always an adventure of sorts. (at least for me that is). It's sometimes inconvenient and occasionally I feel like i should be taking care of other obligations time wise or spending the money a bit wiser but it is after all one of the great passions and pleasures of this lifetime.

Its a Friday Night before Christmas - home in the mountains, high speed net, favorite site, by the fireplace living vicariously through your successes. What could be better
than this right now?
Reading posts about stripers from my friends
knowing things are well and happy at this moment in time with the rest of the family I have been blessed.

A little easy listening from Rammstein.
Don't Die Before I Do

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10.gif
Views:	62
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	9145  
Old 12-20-2008, 06:55 PM
LunkHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post

The action was still good, and it was great to be out, first time out in awhile. Like other guys here said, fish are still around, you just have to downsize your gear a little, and keep moving to different pockets.
Glad to hear you got some for your efforts, I just got back from the beach and that NW wind is arctic bone-chilling S247 get-together kinda cold, water still churning a bit, nothing for me on metals or teasers or bottles or magdarters or black bombers.

And Jim, right back atcha, it's a great place to hang out.

"An Evil Barbarian with a Wrench in His Pocket......"

Old 12-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed White View Post
Glad to hear you got some for your efforts, I just got back from the beach and that NW wind is arctic bone-chilling S247 get-together kinda cold, water still churning a bit, nothing for me on metals or teasers or bottles or magdarters or black bombers.

And Jim, right back atcha, it's a great place to hang out.
Ed, what's up. When ya got that NW wind, not a lot to do but find a lee.. No one was there at all when I was, I think most guys canned it for the season. The weather was in the teens and 20's a few weeks ago, warming up to the mid 30's and 40's it aiin't that bad. The strong wind is definitely a trip killer, though.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Charter Captain - Guide

I happen to hit IBSP early Sunday and Monday and we did very well at first light. Fish were on Sand Eels and liked the Green Prizm Deadly Dick. Later in the morning the fish were on small baits and I switched up to a rainfish teaser, (Muddog Flies makes some great flies) and we picked up more on the teaser. Not many people out both days with today being very scant...great sunrise, and plenty of resident Fatties!.. I should be out over the weekend.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Charter Captain - Guide

Happy New Year to all and a safe and healthy one to each and everyone who visits here.

Just a quick update....I continue to hit the sudz as often as possible and fishing yesterday and this morning is still a blast despite the cooler weather. First light and the right tide has been producing very fat shorts on metal/teaser combos. There have been Gannets bombing offshore and no boats out fishing. The water has been very clean and clear and bait is still abundant in the surf zone but not very many anglers.

I plan to be out this Saturday in the IBSP area along with 2 friends who have permits to drive on the beaches. If anyone is venturing out, well, I hope to run into you. I usually wear a wader belt with 2 Aquaskinz bags on it, (small plug bag and a zippered pouch). I'll probably be in a black Aquaskinz top and with a Dark baseball cap....
Old 01-03-2009, 12:12 AM
Official Member

Well I just got home from what I think is the last day for me. Literally obliterated my reel tonight in the surf. I think it's a sign. Been a good season.

What do you guys do for the winter with your stuff? I was thinking the obvious washing with freshwater, and putting a coat of wax on the rods. Gonnna bring my other 1/2 working reel to Grumpys and let Paul get mad about it, but my plugs are kinda up in the air. Do I take the hooks off and just chuck the hooks? Any kind of rust remover/inhibitor? Just wash good?

I know I'm dreading cleaning my fly line and flys.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:14 AM
Official Member

Oh, and I was on the fish in the IBSP area. Same as you Long Run, short fattys. I seriously caught about 80% of my fish this year on teasers.