Jersey Shore Reports for 2009 - Page 14 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New Jersey
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New Jersey Regional discussion, news and reports for striped bass fishing in New Jersey

Old 12-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Jersey Shore Reports

Well, I'm not trying to be cocky guys but extremely grateful. I have been into fish almost every other trip (atleast 4 nights a week) for the past month surf fishin. Everything I have been doing I learned here. The only reason I haven't been posting is that in between fishing I have been working OT, so basically its work, nap, fish, nap, work, etc.

I appreciate everything I have learned from you guys here so far, and am lookin forward to learning more.

Anyone goin out tomorrow night?
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

get em while you can dude!

Old 12-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Official Member

Zim I was workin one day in Sewaren and had an inspiration to go fishing on your side after work that day. I was so lost for hours, but eventually I found a jetty and got a fish. Couldn't tell you where I was, but it was shady. Thought of you that day.

Gonna hit somethin up tomorrow night, not sure where or when yet.
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

when in the season was that? shady as in "no sun" or shady as in "i feared for my life?" a jetty in a seedy part of town? elaborate please? describe any noticeable landmarks or anything you remember. gonna rain all nite tomorrow, be prepared to freeze

Old 12-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Striper Hunter

gonna hit up sea bright on sat morning aroun 6ish and catch the high tide... does it seem like it'll be a good day saturday?? gonna be using berkley powergulp saltwater edition of clams and bunker oil on them and gonna throw out a top water plug as well... any ideas or suggestions guys... u guys are the pro's so help a rookie out
Old 12-11-2008, 11:07 AM
LunkHead

luv2,
I'd forget the topwater, sadly, as many fish have been falling to pieces of metal, avas, crip herrings, tins, and teasers. Topwater bite has been almost non-existent this Fall, with the exception of when I walked into heavily feeding fish one night. Metal has been getting it done in the daylight.

"An Evil Barbarian with a Wrench in His Pocket......"

Old 12-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Striper Hunter

hey ed i have one of these in my arsenal... how are they??

Old 12-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Striper Hunter

by the way im a lil confused should i be fishing the Sandy hook Bay (keansburg/ union beach) or still be at the beach... one problem i have always had is not knowing where to fish during certain times of the year... for example in the april/ may time should i be in the bay or already at the ocean side i know june etc ocean is always good... then in the fall (september etc) should i fish the first few fall months in the ocean then hit the bay up towards the end of the season??

btw like i said im heading out saturday and curious to know if i should go to sea bright or union beach
Old 12-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Lunker

sea brigth would be a better bet. i swore to myself i was done for the year but got laid off tuesaday. and iam already going crazy so i migth be out there sat also.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:29 PM
LunkHead

Hmmmm.....where to fish. That is always the $64million question. I'm going to say out front, only because I have been catching out front, but I like Union Beach too.
You said you'd be fishing bait as well as throwing plugs, it's hard to do both well, every time I try I wind up drifting so far away from the deadsticked rod that there was no chance I would ever get there if I needed to. I prefer to walk the beaches and throw plugs, hitting all the spots along the way, any rips or funny water, jetties, whatever. If I find fish I'll stick around a bit, as soon as they move I do too.
The bucktails you showed will certainly catch bass, but the metal I was talking about were Ava 017 diamond jigs, about $4 at a tackle shop. No tube tail, and I use a teaser ahead of it this time of year, we're basically targeting fish on the smaller side.

Name:  ava.bmp
Views: 252
Size:  77.9 KB

Sudsy posted some great ways to tie up a teaser rig, this is something you can do while waiting for the rain to go away. Lots of tackle shops will have teasers available as well, for a few bucks.

Sudsy said:

There are a lot of ways to do it

The simplest way, and the best way to get started, is to tie a small swivel (I like Spro 90#) to one end of a 5' piece of leader material with a palomar knot leaving a tag end of about 6".
I use anywhere between 20# and 50# leader depending on the size of the fish and whether or not there are bluefish around.

Using palomar knots, tie the snap of your choice, I use modified duolocks (do a search) to the plug end of the leader and another (here I prefer Breakaway clips) to the teaser end of the tag line.

You want the length between the teaser and the plug to be at least a little longer then the fish you're attempting to catch - if the fish goes for the teaser and the plug bumps him in the tail he's outa there.

Other ways include inline dropper loops, second lines tied to the swivel eye, 3 way swivels (which I don't recommend), and probably others that I'm not aware of.

I use the inline dropper method with a loop to loop connection for the teasers - but this means all my teasers have to be pretied with short double looped lines, a lot more work at home but less weight on the teaser then a snap.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:34 PM
LunkHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfnut View Post
sea brigth would be a better bet. i swore to myself i was done for the year but got laid off tuesaday. and iam already going crazy so i migth be out there sat also.
Anthony,
Sorry to hear about the whole laid off thing, but it does free up a lot of time for fishing, I went thru it a couple of years ago.....I'm back at work, and the guy who made the decision to let me go has just been cut loose. What comes around, ya know....

Old 12-11-2008, 04:38 PM
LunkHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappo View Post
Well, I'm not trying to be cocky guys but extremely grateful. I have been into fish almost every other trip (atleast 4 nights a week) for the past month surf fishin. Everything I have been doing I learned here. The only reason I haven't been posting is that in between fishing I have been working OT, so basically its work, nap, fish, nap, work, etc.

I appreciate everything I have learned from you guys here so far, and am lookin forward to learning more.

Anyone goin out tomorrow night?
Cappo,
Sounds like you got a good thing going there, enjoy it while you can, I get on a roll every once in a while and think I got this S^%T figured out, then I don't catch a fish for 10 days.
Surf fishing can be very humbling.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:44 PM

The back is a longshot right now
Stick to the front and keep moving until you find bait. That's been the key this fall - find the dinner, find the diners.

As for the teaser rigs, I've gotten away from the tag end style, too many tangles with the braided mail line.
I strictly use the dropper loop method now tied far enough from the swivel to keep the teaser line from wrapping in the braid just above the knot
Old 12-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Official Member

I'm postin from work, on my way to leave right now. I was checkin out the weather and stopped by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
when in the season was that? shady as in "no sun" or shady as in "i feared for my life?" a jetty in a seedy part of town? elaborate please? describe any noticeable landmarks or anything you remember. gonna rain all nite tomorrow, be prepared to freeze
I marked it in my GPS(map), which is in my car at home at the moment. I will find out more specifics and let you know for sure. All I remember is that I wasn't comfortable not knowing where I was. And I'm pretty good with bad areas.

And yea zim, its gonna be cold. Can't wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed White View Post
Hmmmm.....where to fish. That is always the $64million question. I'm going to say out front, only because I have been catching out front, but I like Union Beach too.
You said you'd be fishing bait as well as throwing plugs, it's hard to do both well, every time I try I wind up drifting so far away from the deadsticked rod that there was no chance I would ever get there if I needed to. I prefer to walk the beaches and throw plugs, hitting all the spots along the way, any rips or funny water, jetties, whatever. If I find fish I'll stick around a bit, as soon as they move I do too.
The bucktails you showed will certainly catch bass, but the metal I was talking about were Ava 017 diamond jigs, about $4 at a tackle shop. No tube tail, and I use a teaser ahead of it this time of year, we're basically targeting fish on the smaller side.

Attachment 8964

Sudsy posted some great ways to tie up a teaser rig, this is something you can do while waiting for the rain to go away. Lots of tackle shops will have teasers available as well, for a few bucks.

Sudsy said:

There are a lot of ways to do it

The simplest way, and the best way to get started, is to tie a small swivel (I like Spro 90#) to one end of a 5' piece of leader material with a palomar knot leaving a tag end of about 6".
I use anywhere between 20# and 50# leader depending on the size of the fish and whether or not there are bluefish around.

Using palomar knots, tie the snap of your choice, I use modified duolocks (do a search) to the plug end of the leader and another (here I prefer Breakaway clips) to the teaser end of the tag line.

You want the length between the teaser and the plug to be at least a little longer then the fish you're attempting to catch - if the fish goes for the teaser and the plug bumps him in the tail he's outa there.

Other ways include inline dropper loops, second lines tied to the swivel eye, 3 way swivels (which I don't recommend), and probably others that I'm not aware of.

I use the inline dropper method with a loop to loop connection for the teasers - but this means all my teasers have to be pretied with short double looped lines, a lot more work at home but less weight on the teaser then a snap.
Metals

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfnut View Post
Surfnut, I'm sorry to hear about you getting laid off. I hope you get back on your feet fast and if there is anything I can do just shoot me a PM bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed White View Post
Cappo,
Sounds like you got a good thing going there, enjoy it while you can, I get on a roll every once in a while and think I got this S^%T figured out, then I don't catch a fish for 10 days.
Surf fishing can be very humbling.
Yes, I went a very long spring on a skunk. I'll eventually get skunked a few weeks in a row, but ya take what ya can get. I just like bein out there.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Striper Hunter

surfnut if ur in sea bright i'll be fishing by the first set of jettys in the municipal parking lot with another buddy more than welcome to teach us a few tricks.... anyhows imma try the metals this week and i also do have a diamond jig so im good to go... i'll post a message from sea bright and keep u guys updated... to all those fishing !!!!!!