Jersey Shore Reports for 2009 - Page 12 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New Jersey
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New Jersey Regional discussion, news and reports for striped bass fishing in New Jersey

Old 12-01-2008, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Jersey Shore Reports

"Maybe I'm doin' it wrong
I'm just not gettin' what everyone's gettin'
Maybe I'm doin' it wrong" -- Randy Newman

Somebody tell me it's been a lousy year. I've made about 15 trips to IBSP and environs from Pa. this year, clams, lures, high tide, low tide, and the yield has been one fish, about two weeks ago. It was a thrill to hook something other than a ray, and while it was a short, I probably would have released it anyway. My consolation is that as I look up and down the beach, only rarely do I see anyone else haul one in. I enjoy just being at the surf, but I'm starting to feel defeated on the 60-mile drive home, esp. considering the daydreaming I put into it between trips.

Should I rethink the whole thing, go hunting for bluegills and stocked trout in the local algae-filled lakes?

It's Dec. 1 and I'm unemployed. Is the season over just when I have the time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

get your ass down and fish. there are fish there. what are you using?

Old 12-02-2008, 06:41 AM
LunkHead

What zim said, get down and fish, I would target the early morning hours till just after daybreak, and/or the last hour of light till a couple hours after dark, with morning being my choice for now. Keep your eyes out for birds chasing bait when selecting a place to fish, and Fall is definitely a time to try throwing plugs and metal, if you've just been bait fishing, you may be surprised. There are still fish here.
Coming from that far away puts you at a disadvantage, there's no substitute for being near the water to keep up with what's going on, I live 12 miles from the beach and that's too far sometimes.

"An Evil Barbarian with a Wrench in His Pocket......"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008, 11:06 AM

What they said. There are plenty of fish around, just very small.

Bring a selection of Ava jigs with assorted color tails
Mag Darters
Rapala X Raps

Fish them all with teasers
Old 12-02-2008, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the encouragement.

Been using clams, AVA's, bombers, pencils, Kastmasters and variations, Storm Swimshads.... I have to go to a meeting in Red Bank Friday morning, so I'll try to make a day of it and scoot over to the Hook, which is an otherwise awkward drive for me.

Any locations suggestions Hooksters? Beach side or the other?

In the meantime, I will rig some teasers. Should I strap on my biggest Clouser or something gaudier?
Old 12-02-2008, 02:22 PM

The back side has been deader then dead
The end has only had little fish, the same ones you'll find out front.

Start at the Hook and head south stopping to work the various hard structures, you'll find some fish.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:24 PM

As for teasers, stick to small thin sand eel patterns
Red Gills have been money
Old 12-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneistwo View Post
Thanks for the encouragement.

Been using clams, AVA's, bombers, pencils, Kastmasters and variations, Storm Swimshads.... I have to go to a meeting in Red Bank Friday morning, so I'll try to make a day of it and scoot over to the Hook, which is an otherwise awkward drive for me.

Any locations suggestions Hooksters? Beach side or the other?

In the meantime, I will rig some teasers. Should I strap on my biggest Clouser or something gaudier?
Try to stay away from the broader metals, skinnier is better, this time of year I've been getting some with deadly dicks, dragged across bottom. fishing has been incredibly slow, and then we will get a good night or morning, then the dead sea again. There are still fish coming down, but it's a crap shoot if you're there when they are.

Also bucktails and pork rind - don't underestimate the power of the buck.

If you'r at the Hook, it's either on or not. If not, move down a few towns and look for fishing around or in the pockets of inlets. Good luck, let us know how you do.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:25 PM

Keep it slow, keep it on the bottom, and use teasers. I have been fishing from Sandy Hook down to IBSP with most of my luck further north. The morning and evening bit are it but have had slow picks during the day. All fish have been small.

Has anyone up north (Long Island) been getting any quality fish?

"I am willing to trade 8 small rat bass for 1 fish in the double digits"
Old 12-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Charter Captain - Guide

Hey Guys,

Just hauled the boat for the season. Got word Herring are in nice and thick in Montauk and there are small Bass on them, nothing big noted. Great South Bay had bigger Bass but eels and any chunked bait was the ticket along with clams and a chum bucket.

My area of the Western Sound was a Huge disappointment this fall, no birds, and no big concentrations of bait. My buddy was out today and covered a lot of water and came and and said, Put my boat on the sling...I'm done. Mind you last year we fished thru January as we had a lot of birds, bait, Bass and the herring arrived while the Bass were still here. We had Bass on swim shads off Stepping Stones Lighthouse, Hempstead Harbor, Execution Light and the blitzes were historic. We threw the fly rod, jigs, soft plastics and when I pulled wire when there was nothing on the surface, we scored some quality fish.....Not this year unfortunately as I have guide friends in VA and NC already enjoying some great fishing.

Is it over?....we'll see what this weekend weather does. I did hit IBSP last Saturday for 10 fish between me and 2 buddies from 7-8:30am than it moved offshore. Large Deadly Dicks with Green Prism took all fish, nothing on the teaser. I have removed the factory hooks off the Deadly Dicks because they just suck...I put on single Gamakatsu hooks with bucktail and they work like a charm. Great lure, cheap hooks...

I'll be out this weekend.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i dropped a fish yesterday that were on (what appeared to be herring) and moved off. i was never so happy to at least get a fish to hit. all in all i woulda liked to land it but was not to be. i walked to the path (sudsy knows where i was) and i looked for the last time this season and said adoo" and farewell till next season. the cold is coming very rapidly and i predict one of the coldest winters in a long time. my god, february is imo gonna be brutal! i can feel it like the groundhogs and other animals "don't say it ED!" but i have been working outside for many years and this one just don;t feel right. if i venture out again it will be because i am thickheaded and don't wanna listen to the fat lady's serenade! i rarely give up 5 minutes before the miracle.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:00 AM

oneistwo,
I'm in that same fishless boat. It's been a tough year for shore (pun intended) but, I'm just gonna keep fishing. I'll find one...eventually. Going to LBI tomorrow. Bringing out all the stops- plugs, eels, clams, bunker, herring, spot (if I can find it!), and I'll skin a few of those eels if need be. I'll give a report tomorrow night.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:05 AM

New to the area and was wondering if there are fees to enter Sandy Hook during the day. Thanks in advance for the info!
Old 12-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Striper Hunter

hawk there are no fees as of right now.... during the summer season you will have to pay 10 dollars but off season you dont have to pay anything... u can only enter in the park after 7 am however or else you need a night fishing permit.... plus becareful where u park... some lots require permits... last thing u want is to spend the whole monring plugging the entire beach without catching anything then finding a nice yellow ticket on your windshield... lol believe me it sucks... hope that answers ur question....

by the way thinking of heading out towards the sandy hook area saturday... is it worth it or not???
Old 12-04-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2fsh View Post
you need a night fishing permit.... plus becareful where u park... some lots require permits...
Actually ALL lots on the Hook require the night permit from legal dusk until legal sunup.

The permit is $50 and is good from January 1 to Dec 31 - which means it's not worth buying right now. (not that it was worth buying at all this year - this was a terrible fishing year on the Hook)