Bait casting reel/rod combination - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 12-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Official Member

Default Bait casting reel/rod combination

I just had my first child last month so I have been up A LOT late night and have been pounding my on demand fishing channel. I have noticed that when they show any striper fishing the reel is a bait caster. I have done my research and I want to bring one on the boat to my arsenal. All of my searches on this site have come back with Abu Garcia 6600 or 6500. I want a level wind bc its going to be my first time working with this type of reel. Do you guys have any suggestions on a rod to match it with??

JD

ps SPRING HERE YET!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: Bait casting reel/rod combination

baitcasters on the boat? BRILLIANT!
but seriously, the baitcaster (be it magged or not will work wonders on a boat but do you want it for boat and surf? you can change em from a casting surf rod onto a boat rod and have the best of both worlds but what do you really wanna do with it. some easier and less expensive options are out there for you and can still cast well off the boat. rod? if trolling wire then carboloy guides are a must. if just for casting to fish and chunking some guys like a larger 8ft rod but not necessary. so many to choose from in this arena.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Official Member

I have two Penn113HSPs that I use for trolling. I would like to have a bait caster that does both my surf and boat rods. I didnt know there was one that you could use for both. I have looked at the Shimano Calcutta Penn 976 and Abu Gracia 6600. Thanks

JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i have a slosh and a 525 penn and either would work well for dual purpose, although i would put a magnet in the slosh to slow it down a bit. you could very well mag a squidder or a 350 penn if you like as i have those both done and would save some money. fyi