California Aqueduct Information - Page 11 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > California - Lakes, Rivers, Bay and Delta > California Aqueduct
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 11-07-2009, 10:31 PM

Default Re: California Aqueduct Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by calikid View Post
What are the best hours to fish the aqueduct? For fall fishing? Winter?
x2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2009, 05:51 AM
Striper Hunter

Hey guys! Anyone been fishing the aqueduct lately? I have gone out two more times since I last posted. Still not luck but i'm still learning. I tried anchovies mostly at good spots like before or after gates, bends and under bridges. Last wednesday I went up and down the aqueduct trying to figure out where the fish could be. I went to 4 different gates all the way to kettleman city and none of them were open just the pumps running. I tried chicken liver, earth worms, rattle traps chrome & white, diamond shad white, bucktail with grub, and jigged with a white tube. I saw a couple of guys using bullheads, but didn't see if the caught anything. It was cold all day too. I had alot of fun though. Just being out fishing all day with a couple of my buddies. When we do learn how to catch these fish I be posting lots of pics.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:15 AM

I was out this Friday but only lasted about an hour with the cold out in the central valley around grayson area. (forgot my benie)

Calikid and bigshod, this year hasn't been great but I remember last year the best time to fish was 2 hours before sundown and 1 hour before sunrise.
Watch the weather and wear some layers when its cold. It also helps when the water is running. Cast past the swells toward the gates if fishing by open gates and reel in going over the swells. (lures)
I had great success with rattle traps last year but as everyone still using them fish have become shy to them for whatever reason.

Haven't been fishing as much as I did last year but wish I was. (work)

That's my 2 cents. :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfagus View Post
I was out this Friday but only lasted about an hour with the cold out in the central valley around grayson area. (forgot my benie)

Calikid and bigshod, this year hasn't been great but I remember last year the best time to fish was 2 hours before sundown and 1 hour before sunrise.
Watch the weather and wear some layers when its cold. It also helps when the water is running. Cast past the swells toward the gates if fishing by open gates and reel in going over the swells. (lures)
I had great success with rattle traps last year but as everyone still using them fish have become shy to them for whatever reason.

Haven't been fishing as much as I did last year but wish I was. (work)

That's my 2 cents. :)

thanx for the info ....they say blodworms are working out here in kern ima have to try my luck on those.......who's coming with me
Old 12-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Striper Hunter

Been fishing aqueduct here in Hesperia. Throwing bucktails and Rat-l-traps
no luck so far. I well keep you posted.
Later, Mike
Old 12-07-2009, 08:43 PM

Went out to the San Luis Forebay 2 weekends ago on a windy saturday and me and my uncle limited out in 3 hours. (4 keepers)

We were using bait at first and then switched to rattletraps once the water started flowing like crazy. (3 out of 4 doors were shut except for the fourth that was on our side)

Water was coming toward us and throwing with the current between 10-20 ft. from bank reeling against the current got all 4 stripers. I got 2 and my ucle got 2 from the exact same spot.

A lot of people were out that day and we got the "bastards" mean mug as we were walking out with our stripers. Most people were using bait and almost no one got any bites.
I was loosing hope on the rattletraps as last year they were golden.
This year wasn't soo great but I decided to bring them along this time and not loose hope. Glad I did
Luck was on our side that day. We went home, cooked the fish and had some beers!!!

In case you are wondering: 1 fish 23", others were 22", 21", 22"
Cought in fast moving water behind gates around 7:00-10:00AM

:)
Old 12-11-2009, 12:41 PM

Any-1 throwing Hesperia other than MJM?I'm new to Duct fishing and thats the closest spot to me as well so think when all this rain stops I'll start heading out there on my days off since I fish Diamond Valley damn near everyday...
Old 12-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Striper Hunter

Went out yesterday 8:30-1:30 out in Hesperia near airport. No bites. First time I saw water not flowing. Tried storm chad (pearl), rattle traps and a bucktail. Next time going at dawn or near dusk.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:20 PM
FISH OR DIE

Heading out to Firebaugh gates today, hopefully catch me some good size to eat. Using a Dozen pile worm and 5 super jumbo minnows. I'm also using some bill lewis Rat-L-Trap,Lucky Craft pointer 127, broken back bombers, and flukes. I'll let you guys know how it goes when i come back.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:49 AM
FISH OR DIE

Rebel Broken back,Rat-L-Trap, and Fluke did not work. One hit off of pile worm then another hit around 6:30pm on jumbo minnows. The gates was not open. Slow quiet night with no fish. Guess im going to san luis next time (dinosaur Point). Good Luck guys !
Old 02-01-2010, 10:45 PM

anything yet
Old 02-02-2010, 07:14 AM
Striper Hunter

hey bishod! Have you gone fishing lately? Have you had any luck? Has your friend told you when they open the gates? I hear they are biting at the aqueduct near los banos and fresno. I haven't gone yet but if it doesn't rain i'll go out this week.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:21 PM

Very nice... new to the website...

I was walking my trusty chocolate lab (Duke) along the aqueduct this morning and saw a few flashes of silver breaking the water as they were chasing bait fish. As the shad were getting away they were jumping out of the water. This caused the cormorants sitting on the powerlines above the water to go nuts. I then realized the cormorants were dropping 'the doodie' from the powerlines high above which must be attracting the bait fish to that spot. One thing is true... Where the little fish hang out the striper trophies are sure to follow. Fish rattletraps anywhere powerlines travel over the aqueduct...

The second question in my mind is what about structure... Ummm... I will keep this short but I have driven tow trucks in the high desert for some time. The last time they drained the aqueduct was about three to four years ago. We pulled around 30 cars, many motorcycles, tires, laptops, guns, lumber and other stuff out of the bottom of the aqueduct. Areas from below Silverwood Lake all the way through just west of Phelan. I can only imagine that the catfish and the stripers have sufficient structure when needed. Fish areas where dirt road access is easy. There is a good chance some knuckle head got rid of his car payment some time before you got there.

The flood control gates, pedestrian and road bridges are a natural spot where the current will be broken and eddys are created. Great spot to drop inflated night crawlers or anchovies. I have also seen several seagulls and cormorants eating bluegill near the gates. Bobber and millworms is always a safe bet.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Striper Hunter

Does anyone know if it's legal to fish with two rods at the aqueduct, given that you do have a second rod tag? Any info would be great.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Striper Hunter

I have caught 2 really nice striper in the Hesperia area in the last 2 mos. Most every time though I get skunked.......so far probably 20 to 1 ratio...not very good odds................But fun to catch!