ron arra conventional - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:35 PM

Default ron arra conventional

anyone made a conventional plugger with a ron arra 11'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2008, 09:11 AM

Default Re: ron arra conventional

I have............built a few actually...........not impressed with the fishability of the line and I try to talk anyone that wants one out of it, if they insist I direct them to another builder. They cast real well though.
I'm sure others might have differant opinions so thats just my pair of pennies.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:01 AM
First Mate
Pro Staff

I got a 10' Arra spinning that I love. I don't know how different the conventional is though. But If your gonna be plugging you should get a spinning set up any way
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khary23 View Post
But If your gonna be plugging you should get a spinning set up any way
I agree but only if it's going to be your only setup.

I have light, medium and heavy plugging rigs in both spinning and conventional and use em all.
To be honest, so long as the wind isn't honking in your face, I think conventional is better for tossing plugs. More feel, more control, more distance, no worries about braid cuts on your index finger .............

I think the Arra makes for a great plugging rod. I think the 11' AFAW Estuary rod is even better though.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Veteran Striper Chaser

I looked at the afaw11fter at a casting meet last spring in N.C.and it seamed nice for flounders,but not enough backbone for large fish.I would like one for schoolies but i think the Arra blanks have more backbone for real fish
Old 01-09-2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
I looked at the afaw11fter at a casting meet last spring in N.C.and it seamed nice for flounders,but not enough backbone for large fish.I would like one for schoolies but i think the Arra blanks have more backbone for real fish
Don't let the softer tip fool you, there's a lot of fish fighting strength in the butt of that stick! I've used it to put the screws to surf caught fish up to 30+ pounds and it casts further then any rod I've ever used. To be honest I think the AFAW has more power both casting and fish fighting then any comparable Lami, even the Arra's.

What you give up is the Lami lifetime warranty, which is a nice thing to have.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:46 AM

worried a ron arra 11' blank is a little thin at the butt, might want to double wrap the handle if I build it. Sometimes the high speed reels + fish can twist it on you if its a conventional. I have an 11' spinning arra and its comfortable on that setup. Any thoughts on that? Anyone know what blank has a little more beef at the butt end, graphite pretty slim all around it seems.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Official Member

I've got both spin & conventional it's a lot of lumber for the weight of the rod.I also have an 1166 lami which with a crack 300 is a heavy rig but cast well,the arra's in my opinion have to be used and gotten comfortable with especially for someone like myself that was weened on fiberglass.They do have the ability to cast a variety of weights which I thought was a big asset.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Veteran Striper Chaser

Nightfsr- Ilike the thin but on that type blank it lets you grab the rod and still use your WHOLE thumb on the coventional spool rather than just the tip of your thumb with a fat but. imo
Old 01-09-2008, 10:08 PM

Anyone using lamiglass 2m's glass for plugging conventional or a lighter glass blank. I was wondering how they perform. The 3ms and 4ms I can throw a heavy plug a mile in a pinch if I get sick of chunk but I wouldn't want to use them all night like this. The glass can take a beating though, haven't set my mind up on another arra or graphite blank at this point. The arra 11' spinning is nice but I prefer conventional most of the time.