Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Help with guide layout/guide size

6K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  CroakerJO 
#1 ·
Hi guys I plan on building my first concept guide rod using fuji Ks. I've done some research but am still a bit unsure on exactly what size guides/how many I should be using for the running guides. The rod will be a 10' surf rod rated 1-4oz built for a van staal 150. I plan on starting around a 20H for the stripper guide.

Any help or suggestions would be huge!

Thanks!

#2 ·
A KL20H indicates that you intend to use the latest KR Concept from Fuji. I think you're on the right track for a Medium power 10 ft rod casting 20# braid or 14lb mono. If you anticipate moving up the 30# braid or 17lb mono I would suggest starting with the 25 stripper (KL25H).

The 20H will pair best with a 10H and then either a 6L or 7L, depending on the size runners you want to use.

If you opt for the 25H pair it with a 12H and then a 7M or 6L.

As far as running guides there is no such thing as too small however, if you're casting a leader knot through guides, size 6 would be best. If you want to crank a swivel through the guides then a 8 or 10 may be needed.

I am affiliated with Anglers Resource.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.