Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

1 rod for 2 species (steelhead & schoolies)

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  spike10 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I hope someone can help me out. I am searching for a spinning rod for both schoolies and salmon. I was thinking something about 8' with fast action but wanted some input from folks with more experience. Anyone help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

#2 ·
Hi Mike,

I moved to the east coast from Michigan and used my freshwater steeelhead rod for years and it worked great as a schoolie rod, even got a 40" fish with it. It is a bit of a compromise on both sides but you can afford better gear if you are only getting one set up. Definitely go saltwater and i would go longer 8.5 or 9 ft and you are going to want to go softer for steelhead. They really go nuts when they get stuck. If money is not an issue i really like the St. Croix tidewater series, moderate action for 8 to 17 lb test. Load your reel with braid and use a long shock leader when you go steelhead'n. When you go spring schoolie fishing you can throw a storm shad a mile...

Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.