Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Dedicated Jigging Rod CC Canal

11K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  joemul12 
#1 ·
Hi,
I was interested in suggestions for a rod blank for the cape cod canal. I would use it strictly for jigging 3 oz up to 6 oz. Looking for 10 ft, spinnning, 2 pice setup, and dont want a multi purpose rod. I see alot of people used to reccomend a su 1209 but am not sure if these still exist.

Thanks

#3 ·
Good question. The truth is I dont know. What were the RS su 1209 or the allstar 1209. I only ask because from alot of older posts people swore by them for fishing big heavy jigs in the canal and it seems like they were rated for 4 -10 oz. I have a cheapo lami sk 10 mhs which works ok with plugs but dont really like the way it jigs.

#4 ·
To be Honest man i have a heavy as hell Tica I use to jig in the canal. It throws up to six ounces with out a problem. It is sensitive because it is like a meat stick and I run heavy braid on it. I know there is little give in the tip when i want to bounce something off the bottom. I am no expert on canal fishing though. I fish there but I am not a ditch guy all the time.

#6 ·
Still quite a few All Star 1209 blanks around it's the 1208 that is hard to find. The 1209 is tough as nails and slightly heavy but it has a ton of power for jigging the Canal. PM me I know where there are a few still around if you deceide to go that route.

#8 ·
I know I am a year late for a response haha but I have a su1209 for jigging the canal. I wouldnt even think of getting a new jig rod as this has the balls to throw anything you want with ease and can haul in big fish. You can really put everything into a 5 oz jig, sebile, or big shad and it wont feel as though the rod cant handle it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.