Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

ugly stik catfish rod rod casting plugs from boat

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  rotus623 
#1 ·
Hey all... first post here. My girlfriend needs a rod to use on the boat here on the James river for striper, and most of the lures I have to use are 3/4oz on up to 3oz. Some of these are also my surf lures that I think would work well in the river. Was wondering if anyone's tried the ugly stik catfish rod for this application. The 3/8-3oz rating seems perfect for the lures I plan to use, but was curious as to whether a fiberglass rod would perform as well. Open to any input. Thanks!

#2 ·
Hey Will, I fish the James as well. I live about 1:15mins from Hopewell. I have uglystiks with Abu Garcia 7000's for the most part, and fish for catfish and striper in the James. The Med/Heavy ugly stiks seem to be the perfect compromise between both styles of fish. Gimme a shout next time you head out there. I think all this rain may have changed the patterns for us this October.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.