Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

St. Croix rod selector

22K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  SAXATILIS 
#1 ·
#2 ·
St. Croix Triumph Rods

Has anyone on here used the St. Croix triumph rods? I am thinking of buying the 7' rod rated for 8-17 lb test and using a 4000 size reel loaded with Power Pro 20 lb test and using a 2 foot Flouro carbon leader. I plan on using this for tossing lures and eventually using out of my boat, (If i ever get it in the water.) I recently bought a Tsunami Five Star series, that is rated 1/2 -2 ounces , the same lure suggested for the St. Croix, but the Tsunami is stiffer and is rated 12-25 lb test line. It was 25 bucks. Thoughts on the St. Croix?

#4 ·
Re: St. Croix Triumph Rods

Has anyone on here used the St. Croix triumph rods? I am thinking of buying the 7' rod rated for 8-17 lb test and using a 4000 size reel loaded with Power Pro 20 lb test and using a 2 foot Flouro carbon leader. I plan on using this for tossing lures and eventually using out of my boat, (If i ever get it in the water.) I recently bought a Tsunami Five Star series, that is rated 1/2 -2 ounces , the same lure suggested for the St. Croix, but the Tsunami is stiffer and is rated 12-25 lb test line. It was 25 bucks. Thoughts on the St. Croix?
When you say a 4000 size reel do you mean like an ABU(casting)? If so you should know that the Triumph is only made as a spinning type rod. If you are using a spinning reel (or if it was me) I think you may like the Triumph. From folks I have talked and chatted with they say it's a great rod for the money. I have held the Triumph at a local store and even took it outside and whipped it around abit. I thought it was very nice and more than likely will be my choice for my next spinner. FYI also from what I hear you may want to stay away from the Lami Surf King, I have heard from quite a few folks that theirs had snapped even while using under rated conditions.

#5 ·
I've had several St. Croix. Currently, I have a 10' and 12' ST. Croix Surf Triumph, Mod-Fast, Medium action. Without a doubt it is one of the best and quietly affordable. I've used a bunch of others even a custom or two. Got rid of them all. These two are the only ones I use or need to. Graphite, light weight is a pleasure to hold without weighting you down. I match the roods with somewhat inexpensive reels frequently purchased on Ebay. My reels get a lot of use and take a lot of abuse sand, saltwater so I toss them every 3-4 months. This cost about $40-$50 a year. Which is about what I pay to have a couple of those "better, name brand" reels maintained. Try the St. Croix ,although they sometimes hard to get. A lot of backorder. Go online direct to the company. They're very help and will work with you to get the right stick. Did I mention they also have a five year warranty with (get this) a trade in buy back plan. Good luck…handerson22

#8 ·
I have tried many different rods over the years and have settled on the St Croix premier. Just bought another one the other day.
PS70MHF 7' MH Fast 1 8 - 14 3/8 - 3/4 4.6 5
paired with Shimano Stradic CI4 4000
using 30lb suffix
I have the same rod in legend series and it's not the same.
I have not tried the Triumph series, but I have feeling you'll be happier with the Premier for a little more $$.

Great rods....good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.