Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Reel to buy for beginner

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  zimno1 
#1 ·
I been looking at a lot of reels. Used ones and New Ones. I been looking from Walmart to Ebay to craigslist. Ive done some reading but i still dont know what to get.

I found the rod i am going to get. Its inexpensive and i think it will get the job done for what i expect to catch. (Shakespeare Sturdy Stik BWB 125 6'6")I found it for about $20. plus $7 shipping.

We just want to catch a striper big enough to actually be able to keep it. The biggest we got is 13 inches. We tried trolling with our rods now. The guy at the tackle shop told us he uses 10 to 12 ounce weights on his lines. I think that was way to big for our rods. We used some umbrella rigs. I think we will move down to 4-6 ounces next time.

**Now, what reels to use??? As you can tell from the rod i chose, i do not want to spend too much money. Any suggestions? Or anything i should out for on Ebay? Should i get a reel with a counter on it? Spinner or baitcaster?

Any links to something worth while would be awesome.

Anyone selling anything that might work for me?!

Any techniques or tips would be great.

See less See more
#3 ·
if you live near a dicks sporting goods the "field and stream" (dicks brand) Ravenna are reasonably priced. You may need to work the spool a little i.e. cup it with your hand for added drag depending on the size reel. I brought in a number of keepers last season and a 32" blue just the other day w/ a Ravenna20 and I fish the out going tide on the Housatonic river. The drag was out gunned so I did need to work the spool but the gearing holds up just fine (for the record the Ravenna20 is one of the smaller models for freshwater, I just maintain it well and fresh water wash after each outing.

best of luck

#4 ·
These are the kind of posts that annoy me. If you want to catch one or two fish and be done with fishing then by all means buy some cheap crap cuz just like thousands of poor saps out there? They inevitably had to spend waaaay too much on adequate tackle cause they skimped in the first place. Skip those daily trips to mickey D's and stop playing the lottery for a month or so and one could save enough for good enough gear. Granted in tough times like these we all don't have money to burn. But i beat this dead horse every time it gets asked. The extra money you invest in a (reliable) reel will keep you from wasting money in the long run. Butttttt, if your seriously strapped/out of work/on a budget and not just plain cheap? then get what ya can afford with suggestions or ample homework. A penn pursuit or a revenna reel is not a boat reel to put on your new rod.

#6 ·
#7 ·
If your out to catch one striper just to be able to keep it, Then head to a store like Dick's. It would be foolish to spend $$$ on a reel just to see if you like it. If you catch that fish your looking for and enjoyed the thrill, then you can save your pennies and invest in higher quality set-up. Good luck and have a great time!!

#8 ·
since when did you not meet someone who caught a big fish and didn't want to continue to fish and catch a bigger one... or are you going to show a post of mine eluding to such a remark.. i thought i was the resident wize arse at this establishment......or did you think i was on a flight to tennessee...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.