Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Spring Stripers

17K views 71 replies 19 participants last post by  bostonfisher 
#1 ·
id like some help deciding when to start fishing here in boston. will fish be limited to the rivers? im usually fishing from a boat but'd love to get a catch one form land before the boats on the mooring.

so what setup would you prefer and what type of enviroment do you look for in catching the early spring schoolies

#63 ·
The frozen herring they sell isn't the same herring that are in the harbor. I've had some success with them chunking but not a whole lot. A fresh herring would be great but that's not an option. I would suggest fishing with live eels if you can't get to the macks that are further out.

#66 ·
Under the forcasts/predictions tab, i checked the water temperature at B bouy and in May its been an average of 50 degrees So for 5/23, we can assume that is the most neutral temperature the fish feel here in the MA

How would you change your strategy from a boat when the water temperature is either higher or lower than what the months mean temp is.

#67 ·
Well I would change my strategy based on what the current temperature is. In general I'm trying to find water that's within their comfort zone. So earlier in the year I'm usually looking for shallower water where the temp is warmer and there's bait. When the summer heats things up I'll go find water in the harbor that is cooler and near structure.

That being said, bass can tolerate a lot and I've caught them in deeper water in May because they were chasing bait and putting up with the cold :)

#69 ·
The macs are in and in big numbers. Got bass at 38" and 41" on Wednesday using live macs plus a few smaller ones. Some bird action early in the morning but it's not consistent. They are hard to get under the birds but there are some big fish feeding on them. Got a 41" on a swim shad in Quincy bay earlier in the week. Going to a wedding this weekend so let me know how the fishing was :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.