What an effin disaster ! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:10 AM

Default What an effin disaster !

Had a plumbing issue that turned into a huge mess - all the piping in the house had to be replaced.

It all started going at once, I patched the waste line, another one started leaking, I patched that a water line joint started leaking, fixed that the faucet that shuts off the outside water supply started leaking, fixed that and the hot water heater started leaking. This is all within a month and a half! I guess the warranty from 1963 ran out sometime in March. Said eff this, I'm bringing in a plumber and getting it all done right once and for all.

What does this have to do with the lure building forum ?
Not a lot, I just needed to vent!
Half my garage/shop is piled up on the other half. Half the crap out in my garage/shop is now piled in my painting / tying area
Get a look at my painting/tying area !
Cleanup starts tomorrow.

Got a few embarrassingly overdue items that need to be taken care of, then I start re-rocking the bathroom so the tile guy (using Nib) can get in and the cycle starts all over again.
I expect to be beotching again in a about a month and a half

Click image for larger version

Name:	What a Mess.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	13519
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 08:20 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: What an effin disaster !

Look at the bright side... you'll never have to do it again....unlike cast Iron, plastic lasts forever...

and fo the water heater.. you got your monies worth... 10 years is good, 15 is on borrowed time.. the new ones are so much more effecient you'll pay for it in savings ina year...

venting is good... I do my share..
Old 05-18-2010, 08:24 AM
Striper Hunter

Hey Sudsy, everyone needs to vent. Especially when it really interferes with a hobby that you really like to do. I have to agree with Roccus, you got your time out of the plumbing, it's just a biatch that it is all going at once. At least it will be done for another 40 plus years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 11:44 AM
First Mate

Sudsy are they replacing the pressure lines with copper or plastic piping(PEX). The reason I ask is that many companies over the last few years have had issues with their plastic piping and or fittings. I had run a water line 125' undeground from the street into my basement only to find out that the fittings I used were recalled months before I bought them. Problem was that there was a screwup in mixture or zinc in the brass fittings pluse the fittings were coming in contact with the aluminum lining in pipe. The process/problem arising is called dezincification. Anyone one that knows metals knows that brass and aluminum dont go well together either. I had to threaten a lawsuit to finally get the mess taken care of. I really just wish I had blown the lid off the whole mess as I feel some poor suckers out there are going to have major problems in the future. Copper is still about the best way to go but if it's pex I feel that Wirsbo is one of the better if not best but still not as good as copper. Watch out for Kitec those lying bastages, actually there pipe is great but there fittings had/have major issues.

I actually also replaced all/most the lines in my basement. Thank god I had purchased and had about 20 lengths of copper that I bought a few years before when I saw the price going up. I had also installed a new gas fired tankless water heater which is the balls. If you wnet tankless then make sure it is ducted correctly as many guys just dump the gases into the old chimney where the old heater exhaust was. 9 times out of 10 this is wrong as the flu is to large and the gases and moisture cant make it to the top of chimney in the winter

Just do a search google for PEX Lawsuit and see all the problems

The plastic pipe is known as pex. Problem really happen because no one really ever did any REAL testing on the pipes and fittings. If they used PEX pipe, (many guys do as it cuts way down in costs) you should research the brand. You really don't want a mess like 100,000 plus newer homes in Las Vegas had. Nothing like having your ceiling collapse due to a leak in a house that is year or so old.

Picture below shows pipe and corrosion that is about 1 year old. The corrosion rotted out the fitting causing the corrosion the flow down the pipes
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2010, 12:29 PM

And the inspector just left after failing it. Doesn't like the way the hangers were done.

Name:  BangHeadCrazy.gif
Views: 446
Size:  31.4 KB
Old 05-18-2010, 01:44 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
And the inspector just left after failing it. Doesn't like the way the hangers were done.

Attachment 13523
Are the pipes touching the joists or was there another reason? Certain newer codes require hangers every so many feet and some areas require hangers that don't allow the pipe to be in contact with the joist. Many areas don't allow the old strap type hangers and plastic ones must be used. Some towns do allow strap hangers but have codes on the type of fastner used. It's such a mess as one town can be different from the town next to it, it all depends on the inspector. And Pex pipe requires it's own type of hanger due to different ext. diameter than copper. Most times it's all for a good reason but sometimes the inspector just does not like someone and there is not much recourse
Old 05-18-2010, 03:12 PM

He Didn't like the plastic hangers, everything else was good
Plumber just stopped in and switched em out to copper

We need a standard code in this state, this "good in one town and not the next" is ridiculous.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:43 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
We need a standard code in this state, this "good in one town and not the next" is ridiculous.
Or atleast a county code to account for city areas/residential/ as well as rural...but town by town is just stupid...
Old 06-10-2010, 03:29 AM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

I hope all is well with this situation, my friend.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Lunker

i have installed miles of pex,mostly direct buried in concrete for radiant heat and snowmelt purposes.in these applications fittings are a no no, one of the products limitations is the amount of room required to make a 90 degree turn without kinking the tubing .i wouldnt want it in my home ,but that being said it certainly has its place,cheaper, easy to snake behind walls without having a concealed joint,quick,and no soldering in tight spots .anyway i digress... sorry bout your stuff sudsy ,hope this is the end of your problems