CT striper hunters... I need advice - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 04-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Striper Hunter

Default CT striper hunters... I need advice

Got the striper itch bad so have planned a trip w/ a buddy (with boat) out of Fairfield. Gonna fish 5/20 and 5/21. Hopefully, the temps are up and the blitz is on...
Looking for any advise I can get...spots, bait, presentation, etc...is mid May too early???
Just watched a video on pencil poppers...looked like these guys were using a noodle rod???....
Any comments are much appreciated.

Tight lines,
Barn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2007, 10:14 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Default Re: CT striper hunters... I need advice

well i dont know ct at all...but i do think mid may should be good for some bass. they should be along the cape by then...so they should be in your area for sure. as far as tactics, if your on foot surfcasting i would suggest searching around the surfcasting forum for some tips, lots of info there. im still in the "learning phase" of my striper fishing. ive had a lot of short fish, just no cows yet. my biggest was a tad over 37". when i get to the 40" plus mark consistently ill offer better advise...i can say i will be using eels mostly at night along with sluggos and needlefish plugs. plugs, metal, and cut bait during the day...the surroundings while im fishing will determine my go to bait, this year i will experiment a lot and pay attention to everything around me, maybe next year ill have better advise.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:52 AM

I've had success three-waying bucktails witht pork rind trailers. I think that migrating stripers feed on a lot of squid during their trip, so anything that mimics a squid has worked well early in the season for me, but I usually fish around the Race and Fishers Island so the tactics may differ in the Fairfield area. Casting eels into rips and rocks can also work really well for big ones early in the season. At least this is what I've seen work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Lunker

May is early. At least for me. I normally spend most of May up river banging them on tubes, trolling or hitting the hot spots with top water stuff as dawn or dusk. I'd say night action will be your best but I don't fish the salt that early in the year. Tubs trolled or big plastics should work fine but I would expect the dark hours to be the best.