Anyone get out this weekend? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 04-22-2007, 05:30 PM
First Mate

Default Anyone get out this weekend?

Just got in from an uneventful but good day.

Hit a few places outside the Gut. Painted no fish. Caught same. Did see one porpoise though. That was cool.

From there I drove by Black's Creek. A few people there, too many for me, but not that many. Stopped at the Hummock, and a few spots around MArina Bay. Nothing.

Then off to the Charlestown locks. Saw 2 flashes in the ladder, and caught no schoolies.

Was it prime time? No. But it was cool to get out there.

How bout you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2007, 07:44 PM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Default Re: Anyone get out this weekend?

I might go out tonight/tomorrow morning....will most likely try nantasket beach.....bait of choise:paddletail shad black back with a white body...will keep you posted if I get out.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:02 AM
First Mate

Like I said nothing we saw out there Brian. We did not check the Fore or Back rivers for Herring though. Left out of one of the Marinas by the P&G plant.

Rick was selling some clams though. Might be some Cod folks are going for, or they may be hip to something.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2007, 08:23 AM

yea....i didnt get out...was way too tired and I had school the next day...as a matter of fact I'm in school right now lol....anyways rick was selling clams maybe 2 weeks ago....theres been a lot of talk about catching cod from hull gut and out further from boats...I read that report at on thewater.com....I fished from a sea wall in hull just kinda messing around but no luck....

Heres the exact link this is the updated report so the info I just talked about might not be on there..........
http://www.onthewater.com/fishingforecast.htm#ma
Old 04-23-2007, 08:24 AM

I was out Saturday morning. Checked out one warm water spot in Mt. Hope Bay that I like for early action, didn't mark any fish or get any hits. Pulled out and headed down to Gooseberry Island and tooled around there for a while in the kayak. Didn't expect to find anything, but I did want to give the kayak a workout and see how long it would take me to get out to the wrecks offshore. Saw about a dozen seals on the rocks off the point of the island. Would have be a great photo, but they dove before I could get the camera out. Marked some pods of bait fish, but nothing of striper size. Was an awesome morning to be out on the water even if there are no fish to be had yet.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:47 AM
swabbie

I was out in the Boston Harbor Sunday - just to poke around. Not much so see on the fish finder. Checked the gut and sculpin ledge but nothing much so see.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:21 PM

Alright guys.........went down to Hull (Nantasket Beach-near those rocks I love so much) and fished there for about 2 hours......the wind was not my friend....it was sort of blowing towards me and away from me at the same time and it sucked.....was using a 6 inch swim shad pearl colored with a black top.....then went down to Fore River Bait and Tackle and the guy there (Rick) told me to try under the Fore River Bridge (which I did for about an hour with no success....again the wind sucked and was no help to me)....I'm gonna try to get back out later in the week

BTW anybody agree with my choice of lure/color/size? Is there a more preferable bait for early season schoolie action?
Old 04-23-2007, 07:33 PM
Lunker

went out yesterday on the my buddy's boat, didn't see any action, fished from minot to peddocks for cod without any action either, might have been lack of fish, or lack of good captain, but either way no fish or sightings, might try the gut later this week, always find the night high tides to be better there
Ryan
Old 04-23-2007, 07:57 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian21johansen View Post
BTW anybody agree with my choice of lure/color/size? Is there a more preferable bait for early season schoolie action?

I tried the same lure. As well as others. But wishful thinking.

Is there any access to the River where the Herring run goes up to Whitman's Pond? May wanna check out the end of that. Or even see if any herring are going up to the pond.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:15 PM

ok I'm not sure exactly how the hell the herring get to where they're going.....fore river....back river...its pretty much all the same to me...i should probably look up on that considering they're two huge striper fishing locations and I live right next to both of them lol...anyways I know that the herring run in weymouth kinda close to where I live (jackson square) is absolutely loaded with herring.....familys gather together to watch them going up the "stairs" (I think thats what theyre called)but you can see literally hunreds of them jumping and swimming......but the only thing is that isnt it illegal to catch them...i know they have many restricions and im sure that taking a couple for bait is no big deal but i guess you can get in big trouble if you get caught......someone once told me that theyre so strict about that policy at least in weymouth because people (kids and teens mostly) would just scoop them outa the water and kill them and whatever else...idk how true that is but it makes sense
Old 04-24-2007, 04:11 AM

Eh fellas,,was down to the bay [bay of fundy, nova Scotia] on Sunday. Too early up here yet, but was a nice day . Caught some tommycod, the odd striper should start showing up in a week or two. It was Apr 28 last year that the first striper was caught here,,,About the middle of May before you can catch them regurly,,
Later Dobb