plug question - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:21 PM
Lunker

Default plug question

is the gibbs needle fish a surface swimmer ? and whats the stuby needle about? never used them before but most pepole swear by them.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2006, 05:12 AM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO
Default Re: plug question

Just a shorter needlefish.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:49 AM
LunkHead

I've never owned or used a needle, to me it looks like a stick with hooks hanging on it, but I've heard enough people say they catch fish to be interested......do those things swim? Without a lip on it, it would seem to me that it's just going to come straight back to you on the retrieve, and if that works, well, great
So, what's the poop from people who use them/love them?

"An Evil Barbarian with a Wrench in His Pocket......"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2006, 10:52 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

there are lots of ways to fish a needle, as there are different kinds of needles, I make some to float, some to slowly, some to sink like a brick....

Some, if they have a shaved head will actualy swim side to side...

depending on where I am fishing will fish it like a nymph when fishing for trout, other times I will fish it like a popper, and again sometimes I will reel, twitch and let sink, then repeat the process.....

The trick, is to watch a sand eel or spearing, then make your bair act in a simular manner....

to prove a point to some one last fall, I fished a needle without paint of my dock (after the boat was hauled) it was dressed with a siwash bucktail and an eye, no paint at all, the action of the plug caught schoolie after schoolie until he said" you've proved your point!"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 643.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Needles.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	329  
Old 12-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

my buddy always say's the ugly ones catch the most fish. my ugliest torn up fly does it for me. wtg roc. btw fellas, how'd ya like the ravens lunch hat in jims pic?

Old 01-29-2007, 09:48 AM

Gibbs needles: The 1 3/4 oz needle is a very buoyant plug and retrieves on the surface easily with out much action other than a wake (not that that is a bad thing). The gibbs stubby is a very effective and unique lure. It's castability is great. It really is a rocket. Although it sinks quickly, a slow retieve can keep it on or just below the surface. The stubby has a very pronounced wobble to it if retrieved just slow enough. I do not know of another stubby needle that performs this well. All black has proven itself for me over and over again at night. White and yellow are two other favorites of mine.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:23 AM
Lunker

gibbs always are in my surf bag....at dawn, with a twitch, pause, crank- twitch, pause, crank-------------SLAMM!!!!!

that's the stuff....color??? black at night, light (yellow or white) in the day..

size??? whichever hits where the fish are, i do not like to cast way out if the fish are in close, so size does matter, i guess-------LOL
Old 02-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Lunker

It's hard to say why they catch fish, but they do. Most are surface lures, but a sinking needlefish plug is a great fish finder. The stubby's cast great in a head wind.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:40 AM

A slow sinker cast diagonally into the white water of a wave breaking over a bar . The bass are following that breaking wave up to pick off any critters that have been discombobulated by the whitewater. They see the needle getting bounced around and hammer it thinking sand eel or silverside. Just cast it up there and keep a tight line, let the water do the work.
Sometimes the fish are waiting just past the inside edge of the bar. Keep in contact with the lure until it's swept off into the trough. Very often you'll find the bigger fish sitting there waiting to ambush dinner.

It could be be 50 yards out, but more often then not this bar is only 20 or 30 feet from the edge of the water. It's amazing the amount of fish that are right at your feet.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:11 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

on the outgoing i like to walk out 20 to 30 yards in the flat and cast straight out for a bluefish here and there and just stay put for a half hour or so. then i turn around and cast back to the beach where fish will often be moving with the current and slowly retrieve letting the current move the plug and twitch it but like suds says keeping line tight to me and i usually point the rod down into the water toward the plug. i think a baitfish moving away from shore with the current on the outgoing is more realistic to a fish