boga grips - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 04-11-2005, 03:14 PM

I've seen pictures of the one you'r talking about on Ebay - never seen one up close and personal but it's a given that you get what you pay for. I picked up a Berkley used it for a season and gave it away - get hit by one sandy wave in the surf and the thing would start binding up on me. Picked up a 30# Boga and love it. It's one of the best fishing invesments I've ever made.

As for using em or not, it depends. With a bluefish I'll use it every time. A bass on the sand I don't unless there are multiple trebles flying around. Seen way too many people with a small bass thrashing on the front hook and their hand stuck on the rear hook.

Bigger fish are different, for some reason they don't usually thrash like the little ones.i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2005, 05:17 PM

Sudsy...I have a Berkley, I too get sand in it...nothing a like WD-40 can't fix...
I just use the like straw and shoot some inside and work it up and down a couple of times...clears it right up...
Old 04-11-2005, 08:01 PM

Sure you can WD40 it up when you get back to the truck but that doesn't help when it starts binding up following the first wave dunking, in the middle of a bite, in the middle of the night, 2 miles in the sand from your rig.

I hated the thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2005, 06:59 PM
Veteran

I have one from Ebay ,its not bad. I like it so far.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:17 AM

I'm looking to buy a new scale and was wondering which do you guys think is more accurate, a digital or spring scale?? :duh:
Old 07-10-2005, 08:24 AM

i love the digitals, bnut thats just me. I bought a cheap spring one from cabelas and it wont weigh anthing under 2 pounds. it just wont read it.

maybe i just got a bad one. it is green with a a yello handle.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: I dont use 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim
Although I still hang em on a digital to weigh em
Jim what kind do you have?? I was thinking of getting this Berkley digital scale. The 30lb model costs $39 and the 65lb costs $49. Which one of S247 affiliates can I order a good digital scale?? :chin:
Old 07-10-2005, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337
Jim what kind do you have?
Leet Mine is a normark (I think) 50 pound digi. Don't remember the cost though it wasnt that cheap. It isnt a lip gripper just has two interchangeble different sized hooks attached.

If you want a gripper dont mess with anything but the boga IMO. You usually always get what you pay for. A spring scale is accurate enough if your looking to get a close estimate. Besides if you catch a fish worth weighing your gonna bring it to the tackle shop in the morning anyway. :wtg:
edit** Boaters world probably for the affiliates best bet.
heres some from boaters world
Rapala 50 pound digital
Bass Pro shops returned these items in a search of scales
Old 07-10-2005, 01:36 PM

Leet before you waste any money let me take a look and see what my distributor has to offer. Ill take a look for you later. Its too nice a day to be foolin with the computer. :coffee:
Old 07-11-2005, 07:55 PM

Leet I forgot about west marine. they have some nice stuff.
West Marine fishing tools

The best thing about internet buying is no tax.
The Supreme Court has prohibited states from requiring mail-order and Internet merchants to charge the customer for the tax and remit it to the customer's state unless the merchant has a physical presence or "nexus" within the state's borders.

Ok an edit** Leet I looked at the distributers listing and I can get you most berkely and rapalas. There is one here for 14.52 cents its a 50 pound sportsmans digital. The normark that I have wholesales for 23.99 and Rapala owns them btw. Their pro lock 60 is $53.18 and the 50 pound mechanical spring is 9.44 cents.
Danielson has a ton of cheap stuff as well.

Shoot me a pm and Ill get one for you with my next tackle order. Only costs you my cost and small shipping to you.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:55 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I use mine when the net busy(as when there are doubles) or out of reach,

the one pictured above is a berkly,I actulay caught a fish three years ago with that thing hanging from it's lip! My guess was someone tried it on a green fish and it ripped it right from their hand, I give it a shot of WD a few times a week and it still seems to keep working.....
Incedently the fish in the picture was towing about 100 yds of power pro knotted up in a ball with trebble hook in the corner of her mouth, after a little TLC she swam off to live a better life...
Old 07-14-2005, 12:29 PM

LOL,, that's pretty funny,,, they still have to eat whether there's a big ass tool hanging off their lip or not, lol. I wonder how long it had been swimming around trying to get that thing off, poor fishy!
Old 07-14-2005, 01:39 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

60# Rapala....

I love it. The "jaws" that hold the fish are inverted compared to the Boga and Berkley, so the fishes weight just makes its grip even stronger. No more "Slipped Lip" Half the price of a Boga, built tougher, IGFA certified scale just like Boga, and a stronger grip. Nuff said.

Old 07-14-2005, 01:47 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I remember that lil dude,wasnt he at the clean up?? he looks alot happier there than lugging other peoples trash!
Old 07-14-2005, 02:22 PM

If I were only going to use it on a boat I wouldn't bother with the Boga, overkill. So long as there's no sand to bind it up the Berkley is more than enough.

Sand + Berkley = :wall: