How do you rig your live stoolies? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-20-2006, 04:50 PM
First Mate

Default How do you rig your live stoolies?

Well, today, after six years of doing things the hard way, I finally had a brainstorm. When I first started striper fishing six years ago I was shown to use a large safety pin to attach your live herring stoolie. You simply went through the cartilidge under the nostrils. Today after having THREE very difficult to catch herring come off of my safety pin, I sat down and thought for a minute. Then it hit me. Just put the damn thing on a 6/0 circle hook as if you were fishing! Well that's just what I did and used the same one for over an hour and a half and was able to put it back in the bait tank. Eureka! Give it a try. As an added bonus if a striper should happen to hit your stoolie ( and we've all had that happen) at least you should be able to get hooked up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2006, 05:53 PM

Stoolie??

Isn't that something the dog leaves behind when you take him for a walk?
Old 04-20-2006, 06:14 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitrunner
Stoolie??

Isn't that something the dog leaves behind when you take him for a walk?
Actually, it's what you use to get something from the top shelf.

In case you're being serious, it's just a live herring hooked up on a rod and reel that is used to bring others into your waiting scap net.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2006, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baitrunner
Stoolie?? Isn't that something the dog leaves behind when you take him for a walk?
Stoolie

Why would you even
Squeeking
Peculiar
Old 04-20-2006, 09:50 PM

That's funny Jim!

Thanks for the explanation!
Old 04-21-2006, 03:40 AM
Striper Hunter

Hook in the mouth, up out through the nose cartilege.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:49 AM

Are you saying you're using a live herring, hooked through the snout, to attract other herring? Or are you just using it as live bait?

I have a plastic stoolie, hooked with a big jig head. The hook is bent and turned back into the plastic body to prevent snags. Circle the fake fish around in the water a little bit and swim it into a waiting net. Can usually net a herring within the first ten-minutes if they're around this way in any shallow amount of water...even if it's only a couple inches deep.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:56 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckey115
Are you saying you're using a live herring, hooked through the snout, to attract other herring? Or are you just using it as live bait?

I have a plastic stoolie, hooked with a big jig head. The hook is bent and turned back into the plastic body to prevent snags. Circle the fake fish around in the water a little bit and swim it into a waiting net. Can usually net a herring within the first ten-minutes if they're around this way in any shallow amount of water...even if it's only a couple inches deep.
Yup, live herring hooked through the snout to attract other herring. Works like a charm- when there's herring to be caught.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Striper Hunter

If you have a 6/0 hook in the herring then it is legal (You can claim you are "sort of using it for striper bait") I have always been told that using live herring as a stoolie is Illegal. I have a friend/ENCON Officier that I will contact and ask and get it right from the "horses mouth" Will post here as soon as I find the official answer.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Striper Hunter

After 4-5 emails back and forth to make sure all was understood about what we were doing my EnCon friend says she can't find anything that says you can't use a live herring as a stoolie. That is straight from the person who should know. There you have it.