Live Bait - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > DelMarVA
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

DelMarVA Delaware, Maryland, Virginias, the Delaware River and Bay, Chesapeake Bay area. Regional discussion & reports.

Old 04-12-2006, 01:12 PM

Default Live Bait

Hello there again!
Any experience on where to get some live bait? I'll be fishing Solomon's Island this weekend any usually launch out of the South River.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2006, 10:27 PM

What kind of live bait? I work at a B&T in Annapolis (Anglers Sport Center) thats on route 50 before you hit the bridge, a bit of a drive though if you launch from South River (1456 Whitehall Rd 21409-or 21401 the zip just changed). Phone number is 410-757-3442

We sell live minnows (bull minnows) and live eels. However the best bait you can use right now for the local area is Bloodworms, by far. Should have a croaker run by next week when it warms up.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:33 AM

Thanks Kevin,
I used to stop at your shop all the time when I launched out of Sandy Point. I would kill the Rocks on the fresh Alewives. maybe I could just stock up on some bait and cure it for freezing each month. what do you have now? Bloodworms?

thanks Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2006, 08:39 AM
Veteran Elite

K-Cube....You said WE????? Didn't know you worked there. I was in there last Sat mornin picking up Bloodworms.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:28 AM

Yes, I work there. Currently we are in a bit of a bait shortage, our normal guy unfortunately had a heart attack. He's OK, but he'll be out a while. I think that right now we're out of bloodworms unfortunately, and that is the best bait to use right now. You might have to find another shop to buy them, by the way, we sell them 9.99 a dozen. Currently we also have clam snouts (good for croaker and perch possibly), herring, no alewive yet (they havent been hitting them, bloodworm is the best right now, call in advance to make sure we got em). We have also pro cut squid strips, in squid and bloodworm scent, regular squid, we have alewive chum, and a variety of other things including live minnows and live eels, live grasshrimp, live night crawlers, and of course bloodworms (although not right now)

Again, the best thing by far right now with the cold water is bloodworm. Fish bites will be usable as soon as the water warms up to about 65 degrees, and we also carry at least 10 flavors of that stuff too. You really have to come in to see all the baits we carry, although we dont have all of it in stock since the season just beggining, once we get into swing we have over 20-30 kinds of fresh baits (not including fish bites and berkely artificial stuff, btw, fish bites works just like the fresh baits in warm water, the stuff is awesome!).

For grass shrimp, call ahead, they go fast, if you like nuclear worms, as soon as the weather warms up and we can carry them without them dying, call ahead also, its a 70/30 chance we have them. Bloodworms we are rarely ever out of, and if the bag looks a little bloody, we'll give you two for one.

Hey Fish-Aholic, yes I work there, Im the youngest guy working counter (16) (theres only a hanful of people working counter without white hair ). Im working today and tomorrow (spring break).
Old 04-13-2006, 10:49 AM
Veteran Elite

were you in there last sat morning around 7:15-7:30?
Old 04-14-2006, 08:43 AM

Nope, you probably saw the owners son, he's 21. I dont work
saturdays, work every sunday morning though, and tuesday in the late evening. Im gonna start taking more hours though. If your ever in, you can always ask if Im in.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:48 AM
Veteran Elite

LOL I think we hijacked this thread....but Yeah I was in there complaining about last years bloodworms. Nice worms last weekend though
Old 04-15-2006, 05:41 PM

well, trust me, we complain to the company we get them from too. 9.99 is outrageous for a dozen. They've been lookin good lately though. Our policy is if the ones we have to sell are bloody or smallish we'll give you two for one.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:45 PM

Anybody catch anything this opening day? We must have seen 1000 boats all trolling the same gear, but didn't see one fish landed. Had a great time though until the storm of the century hit. K cube I saw you the other day when I bought some blood worms and a license from you. You said I needed cash for the license so I went to the WhaWha and you held my stuff till I came back. That was you right?
Old 04-18-2006, 07:58 AM
Veteran Elite

I know of 5 that were caught opening day and 12 that were caught day 2.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:42 PM

I remember vaguely, but Im not sure if Im remembering correctly. 3 people did the same thing that day. But yes that was me the only one under 40 :p Next time go ahead and say hi!

I caught a 34 incher on opening day on the holographic lure colors for trolling we just got in. I talked to a LOT of people and have pretty much determined the best spots from hearsay. Dont be afraid to go where there are few boats, as with the 1000 boats out there in that one spot (bloody point far to the left of), the fish are divided up between them, and also, with all the idiots running around at full throttle within that confined space, the rockfish stray away from all the motor noise.

Try to stay in 30-40 feet, or on the channel edges, and without close confines of other boats, because they hate engine noise. I cant wait to get out again hopefully sometime this week or next. Bloody Point and Thomas Point are the generic fishing spots, but matapeake shores is also working, and right up north (bout a mile and half) of the Bloody Point Lighthouse near the shore is working also, where depths are 40 and under. Down South I've heard a lot of good reports, for example around the Chesapeake Beach area, and even further South then that. Try to keep all your lures in the top 25' and umbrellas really help to draw attention to your spread.

If you come back in, take a look at the holographic/mylar teasers for umbrellas, new this year. We also sell them with hooks (you cant hook them because its screws up the mylar in the middle), but have been sold out for a while, should be in in a couple days. They look awesome in the water, and are transparent with a holographic mylar center that changes green/blue/purple. The tails on the teasers are also different, and instead of a wedge, they are cut in the middle of the shad to make them flap around. The hooked holo shads though are traditional wedge shapes, with a single hook to enhance their action. The only disadvantage is the expense, and that the hooked lures only stand up to about 3-4 big fish before the outside gets a bit scratched effecting the brilliance. However, I think and umbrella of the teasers, couple with a spoon or parachute or 9-inch bunker shad would work great and endure without the need to buy another piece all the time. They're hard to describe, and look great in real life, so ask about them or look at where we keep the shads.

I tried the complete holographic setup (4 shad umbrella and a holographic trailer) opening day and that was what the fish hit on. Im going to try the holographic umbrella with a 21 pearl tony spoon or bunker shad next time out.

If you want to confirm that it was me, I have a picture of the fish we caught opening day in the Striper room in the thread "opening day!"

Just so you arent discouraged, I had a group in yesterday to weigh in fish, and they caught 7 total, with 3 pulldowns, and the two they weighed in were 45 and 48 #, 47 inch's for both of them. These were caught around Bloody in shallow water where the boats arent.