Looking for some Cape Cod advice - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts > Cape Cod Canal
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Cape Cod Canal The Ditch.

Old 02-27-2006, 12:49 PM

Default Looking for some Cape Cod advice

We've been hitting Race Point for the last few years from the beach, with the family, in early July. Other than an occasional school of blues, we haven't connected with bass on the beach during the day. What's the deal up there? What tide is best? Nightime or dawn/dusk? moon phase? Plugs? Poppers? sandeels? bunker chunks? Worms? The kids are getting a little older and dad's trying to keep them interested. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Veteran

Default Re: Looking for some Cape Cod advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
We've been hitting Race Point for the last few years from the beach, with the family, in early July. Other than an occasional school of blues, we haven't connected with bass on the beach during the day. What's the deal up there? What tide is best? Nightime or dawn/dusk? moon phase? Plugs? Poppers? sandeels? bunker chunks? Worms? The kids are getting a little older and dad's trying to keep them interested. Any help would be appreciated.
I think your getting there to late in the season. You want to be there in the end of May early June. the stripers are in the west end of the canal in early May. I don't fish over there on that side to much. I WOULD GO AROUND TO THE BAIT SHOPS AN ASK.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:02 PM

Anthony welcome to the site

Tom Mcreynolds is a surf guide on the cape. He will be along to give you some pointers.
A guide is always a good idea for learning an area. Especially if your on your own and there isnt much practical help.
Enjoy the site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2006, 12:20 PM

Hi Anthony, Race is a little tricky to get to from shore but there are some much better spots to look into if you are going to fish from shore.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:31 PM

Hi Tom welcome.
I see you finally were able to log in. Aol sux.
How's Dad? I hope you guys can fish with the crew in Jersey in April.
I know he loves that stuff.

The fish in the race hold pretty deep. Can he access them from the shore?
Old 03-03-2006, 07:32 AM

Hi Anthony and Tom
Race is a tough fishing spot from shore.
Are you fishing the run?
That is the only place i would set up at night of course.
Shallow to deep fast is what you are looking for .
Put your half pogie out on a hump or in a hole .
The fish check those spots for collected food.
The best advice that I could give is buy a chart and set up a hunt.
Find a good source for watertemps and thermalcline in the area.
If you can find a spot with all the right ingreadients you can't miss.
I found the most funn I had fishing, started with a week of planing
my hunt. Im not sure but i think temp is what tells them to stay or move on.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:48 PM

You can fish pretty close to Race point from shore, not on the point directly. I have found the best chance you have there is to go to the shore areas at low tide to check for holes and gullies visable from the beach. Set up in those spots. With an alternative live bait to herrin HAHA good luck
Old 03-08-2006, 09:05 PM
First Mate

Anthony, What week are you going to be there in July I will be down there the 8th to the 17th maybe we can fish some night

The Race and back beaches have been off the last couple of years hopefully it will change this year. not to far from shore it drops off to 200 feet so the big ones should move in at night, remember I said should

Fishing With The Sanddollar Princess
Old 03-23-2006, 07:23 AM

Default Responses

You guys are giving me alot of new ideas to check out, including looking Tom up for a guiding opportunity. I missed the chart idea- didn't realize I could get one local enough for the surf areas. I'll check that out. Bob- I'm up there July 1-8, so I'll do some advanced scouting for ya'. Too bad we couldn't hook-up. The half pogie dead-sticking in a hole or on a lump is exactly the kind of info I'm trying to find. The tackle shops I've been in up there give me the usual generic, non-specific, tourist targeted lines. You guys are a big help. I hope I can return the favor. Can't wait for the spring run.